Which crochet mag should I suscribe to?

mclendon1

Each of the magazines seems to carry a slightly different mix of pattern/feature styles. A magazine that is loved by some people may be not-so-loved by others, who may love another magazine that is not-so-loved by the first group of people.

I would suggest taking some time to view the websites of the various magazines, and then taking even more time so you can see several issues of each magazine. You may be lucky enough to have a library that subscribes to the magazines so you can just go there to access back issues all at once. If not, you might have to visit the bookstore over a period of time so you can page through each new issue of the magazines. Take notes each month, so you can remember what you did and didn't like about each issue.

Then you'll have some good data to know which magazine is best for you. You may decide you want to subscribe to a particular magazine. You may decide that you'd prefer to wait to see each issue in the store, and only buy specific issues based on what they contain.

I agree with amy... Im a Store buyer.. I rather look at the mag first.. see if there is anything in it I'm intrested in first. but having a subscription has it's advantages cause you could roll across someone who needs a particular issue you have that you do not want. then you can easily make their day with it

I totally agree with Amy's advice. take time to really look at some issues before subscribing. and of course, if after subscribing, you decide you don't want it anymore, you can cancel the subscription.

Personally, for an advanced beginner, I would suggest Crochet Today! in my opinion they do the best job of providing ALL the info you need to make the pattern. take a look at some of their free patterns http://www.crochettoday.com/taxonomy/term/4

to see how they are written, including visual info such as stitch diagrams and schematics. also each issue includes a "how to read patterns" section that is very good, and basics of crocheting as a refresher. generally they have a good mix of simple and more challenging patterns.

Right now they have an offer for subscription digital online with archive issues for 2 years.

I really like this one, too.

If you want to save money, see if any of your crocheting friends are willing to part with their leftovers...

I like Crochet World the best because it has the more traditional-type patterns. Crochet Today is also nice, a little more modern in its designs. I had to let that one expire recently because like you said, they are rather expensive and I could only afford one. If there's a pattern I absolutely have to have, I can always get the issue at the bookstore. Interweave Crochet is nice if you want to make a lot of wearables (something I'm not into). You could always buy issues of each and decide which one you like best. There are a couple of other mags: Crochet! and Quick & Easy Crochet. I'm familiar with the latter because I subscribed for a year but it was more expensive than the others and I never made any of the patterns from them. Not a good bang for your buck IMO.

As mentioned above ..

I personally am a really big fan of Crochet! and Crochet World. Their digital subscription option is a pretty sweet deal since you get access to 2 yrs worth of archives (even if I subscribe for only one year - its worth its weight to catch up on back issues)

I've only recently found Interweave - buying the most recent copy for the afghan pattern that was in there but it appears to be more geared towards wearables.

I also think Crochet Today is going to be a buy as see needed - depending on the patterns.

As stated it really all depends what you are after.. and as always

your mileage may vary

• 2 weeks later...

I've subscribed to Crochet World for a few years off and on. I finally decided to try another mag, Crochet Today. I think I'll use more patterns from this mag as opposed to CW, I've very seldom used a pattern from CW and have ended up giving the mag away; they had too many "cutsey" patterns, which I'm not into, such as crocheted footballs, aprons, etc. So I 'll see how this first year issue goes, although I think CT is a little expensive, hope it justifies the cost:)

Archived