Crafters are so nice!

Some of you might remember that I put in an ad in our local equivalent of Freecycle or Craig's List. I've had half-a-dozen replies from crafters so far, all looking to destash oddbods, and from a couple of people looking for someone to take over their dead grandmothers' stashes (a bit morbid, but I'd like to think the grannies will be happy that I'm going to turn their yarn into blankets for disadvantaged babies or scarves for people in distress or hats for homeless people :yes ) Anyway, my encounters with all of these people so far has just confirmed a suspicion: crafters are generally very nice people. Of course, I shouldn't generalise but I have the feeling that people who put so much time into creating something nice are generally quite decent souls and seem to take special pleasure in doing something nice for others. At least, this has been my (very pleasant) experience so far. We're nice, aren't we? :D

BTW: my wool-gathering (heheh) so far has had mixed results. I have also discovered that we yarnatics don't throw away as much as we should. So I've received bags of tiny skeins, all lovingly wrapped into balls. Unfortunately, many have just become tatty with age and because they have no label, it's difficult to tell what kind of yarn they are (and there's not enough of any of them to justify the effort of washing and testing them.) But I take them all very gratefully because I appreciate the kindness that's behind the gesture more than anything else.

my encounters with all of these people so far has just confirmed a suspicion: crafters are generally very nice people.

I have found the same to be true, Miss Crochet! -with both crafters and gardners. In all my years, I have never been to a craft store nor a garden center where I've crossed paths with anyone grumpy, gruff, rude, or pushy -Quite the contrary! ... Yep, we are nice! :lol

Glad you've had such positive experiences, MC!

what about using those odd balls to make beds for pets at the animal shelters?? they won't care if they different yarns, dont match or are a bit tatted. just so long as warm and snuggly.

Sandy

Some of you might remember that I put in an ad in our local equivalent of Freecycle or Craig's List. I've had half-a-dozen replies from crafters so far, all looking to destash oddbods, and from a couple of people looking for someone to take over their dead grandmothers' stashes (a bit morbid, but I'd like to think the grannies will be happy that I'm going to turn their yarn into blankets for disadvantaged babies or scarves for people in distress or hats for homeless people :yes ) Anyway, my encounters with all of these people so far has just confirmed a suspicion: crafters are generally very nice people. Of course, I shouldn't generalise but I have the feeling that people who put so much time into creating something nice are generally quite decent souls and seem to take special pleasure in doing something nice for others. At least, this has been my (very pleasant) experience so far. We're nice, aren't we? :D

BTW: my wool-gathering (heheh) so far has had mixed results. I have also discovered that we yarnatics don't throw away as much as we should. So I've received bags of tiny skeins, all lovingly wrapped into balls. Unfortunately, many have just become tatty with age and because they have no label, it's difficult to tell what kind of yarn they are (and there's not enough of any of them to justify the effort of washing and testing them.) But I take them all very gratefully because I appreciate the kindness that's behind the gesture more than anything else.

:ty Thank you, MissCrochet for the kind words.:hug But I must agree, we are a kind and caring bunch. I always want to make stuff for others. I've been crocheting for about 2 1/2 years, and I have made Christmas gifts,baby gifts, things for the grandsons, and I am working on baby hats to donate and hats for the homeless as well. So far, nothing for me. But that's okay. The joy of it is seeing how happy people are when they are given a gift that was made just for them. :manyheart

Miss Crochet, you are right, crafters are nice people. Which makes me wonder... The lady behind the counter at my LYS is not very nice at all, but then again, I've never seen her sitting and working on a project. Maybe she owns the store just to make money???!!!! How horrible to be around all that yarn and not use it!!!!!

Erythmother -- great idea! I have 3 dogs and have always bought their beds. I could make them, but have to check my stash for colors to match my decor LOL

Grandma2allboys -- Make something for yourself. We are all strong, beautiful people who deserve to treat ourselves to something special!

I love going into cross-stitch, yarn, quilt and fabric stores because the people who work and shop in those places are almost always very nice. But my sister has complained that the people working in one of her local fabric stores aren't especially nice to her. She claims that they recognize a non-sewer and treat her differently from the way they treat me when I visit. I don't know if she is just paranoid, but she is one of those people everyone likes and who tends to light up a room when she walks in. I hope we don't become cliquish as we congratulate ourselves on our niceness!

I've always felt that they make the yarn aisle the skinniest because they know us crochet/knitting people won't shove eachother around, but politely ask to share the space.

Its great to hear that you are getting yarn to make your generous gifts!

:turtle:vheart

yes they are.. I found a group for recycling yarn.. and i posted lokin for yarn for my 8 yr old dd who has tricatillamaina.. so i can make her a bunch of hats to wear to cover the bald spots. and i had so many replys with promiss's of yarn.. so far 4 of the 5 came thru n actualy sent the yarn. now mady has 6 lovly hats to wear.

It shows that there are still people with kind hearts out there.

Miss Crochet, you are right, crafters are nice people. Which makes me wonder... The lady behind the counter at my LYS is not very nice at all, but then again, I've never seen her sitting and working on a project. Maybe she owns the store just to make money???!!!! How horrible to be around all that yarn and not use it!!!!!

Erythmother -- great idea! I have 3 dogs and have always bought their beds. I could make them, but have to check my stash for colors to match my decor LOL

Grandma2allboys -- Make something for yourself. We are all strong, beautiful people who deserve to treat ourselves to something special!

I agree with you about the lady in the yarn store. I don't work anymore, as I am now disabled, but if I would have ever worked in a yarn store, on payday I would not have had much of a paycheck left when I went home, but I would have lots and lots of yarn! :lol And how can she not be happy, working in such a cool place?

Thank you Janine, I think I will. There is an afghan I have been wanting to make. I think I will start on it as soon as I finish my Christmas gifts. :yes

Archived