This felt so strange

Recently I made a trip with my sister who is not into crochet at all. During the trip I was working on my latest project. She drove and I crocheted and kept her company.

On the way home she pipes up that she knew what she wanted from me for Christmas. She asked for copies of all the publications I have had published. Not that she plans on making any of them, but she wanted a copy of them. My jaw of course dropped and I quickly promised that her gift was a good as given. I even promised to sign them for her.

Of course it made me feel wonderful that she wanted a copy and was proud of what I have done. If you knew my sister who only keeps what is necessary and nothing more, you would know what a big compliment it was from her.

So I am also thinking great, one less gift to worry about.

Now I have given away all the copies I had to other family members and friends that have supported me in my crocheting. But I figured it would be simple enough to order the books for her and have her gift done asap. Well I went to order them. Come to find out they are now only available in PDF format. Which is wonderful for any crocheter who wants a working copy of a pattern. But not Quite the same to be given as a gift.

So I decided to check out ebay.

Thankfully I found a copy of each one and was able to win them. But it felt really strange to be bidding on my own designs. But my baby sister will have her copies for Christmas.

Imagine what the person who's selling the patterns must feel like to see the name of the author of the books there selling in the list of the people who are bidding.

That's really nice of your sister. I would be totally amazed if my sisters even asked me to make them something let alone wanting one of my designs.

Congrats!!

Julee

:ty for sharing this story. I know it must have been really odd to bid on your own publications but it was for a good cause. What a wonderful compliment your sister paid you. Who knows maybe one day she will pay you an even greater compliment by crocheting one of your creations. That is without telling you she has learned how to crochet.

Your sister's gift request is so dear and says so much, Kathy, as do the steps you took to fulfill her Christmas wish...Bless you both! :hug

Imagine what the person who's selling the patterns must feel like to see the name of the author of the books there selling in the list of the people who are bidding.

That's really nice of your sister. I would be totally amazed if my sisters even asked me to make them something let alone wanting one of my designs.

Congrats!!

Julee

I don't think they realized it was the author bidding on the books. My user name only gives a clue if you really knew me and my work and all correspondances were in my husbands name.

It was definitely strange to be bidding on my own though. Will feel much better though when they are all here and safe. I wouldn't want to let her down after such a sweet compliment.

:ty for sharing this story. I know it must have been really odd to bid on your own publications but it was for a good cause. What a wonderful compliment your sister paid you. Who knows maybe one day she will pay you an even greater compliment by crocheting one of your creations. That is without telling you she has learned how to crochet.
I will not hold my breath on that one. I am not sure she even truly knows which end is the working end of a crochet hook. Nor do I think she has any intentions of even trying.

Archived