Kick Up Your Heels--SOCK CAL

Krakovianka

So, Toni--inquiring minds want to know. Did you make that second not??? :D

I've got 1-1/2 socks done of the little pair I'm making for my 5yo. I need to finish them up quickly and tackle that other second sock *I* need to make.

:cheer:cheer:cheerYES! I just finished the 2nd one and have them on my feet and they feel so good and they FIT!!! :cheer:cheer:cheer Without further ado, my first pair of socks (not easy to take a good picture of your feet <g>)

post-25113-135897444307_thumb.jpg Both feet doesn't show fit

post-25113-135897444312_thumb.jpg One foot shows fit

And, I have an order coming from the sale at Herschnerrs for sock yarn. I'm definitely :hook

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm joining up! I'm taking the Toe Up Socks class here that starts Friday. I've always wanted to make socks, but never seem to stick it out. I will do it this time because I really, really want them! :yes

I wanted to take that class but I didn't have the funds this month, sooooo, I decided to see if I could figure out a pair myself from a pattern in Crochet World that I even had the exact yarn they used in my stash which meant I didn't have to go buy yarn either! :clap:clap

Shade your eyes!!!

This is the little pair of socks I made for my 5yo daughter. She loves the "rainbow" colors. I used up most of one 50g ball of sock yarn to make her pair--the advantage of little socks, which I make from my own "pattern." Next up is the second jade sock I need to finish, and then...I think I'm going to try the cable pattern Debbi was using with stretch sock yarn that I was gifted recently.

post-13065-135897444666_thumb.jpg

Toni,

Your socks look terrific!! How wonderful that your first pair fit so well (mine didn't!). A class is nice--I've taken one and really enjoyed it--but we can help each other learn, too.

Nicole,

Good luck on your socks--I know you can do it. Be sure to show them off when you finish!

Toni, love those socks. My favorite color. You did a great job.

Karen I actually like those colors, I don't think they're too bright, although a little. I think bright colors for socks are okay (and that's after years of wearing white socks).

Debbi

I'm joining up! I'm taking the Toe Up Socks class here that starts Friday. I've always wanted to make socks, but never seem to stick it out. I will do it this time because I really, really want them! :yes

I took that class back in March. You WILL be able to make socks once that class is over. It's such an easy pattern.

As soon as September 21st is here I will start working on a pair of socks with the sock yarn you gave me. I will be doing the pattern you picked out for me in the sock book you gave me.

Crystal, the little socks are an adaptation of my own simple sock pattern. You could probably adapt the pattern from your toe-up class for smaller feet. I start the toe the same, but only increase to 32 stitches for the body of the foot, and I make fewer increases as the foot widens. I work the heel in the same basic way, fitting to the foot as I go to be sure I have enough rows, etc...

As for the yarn...it's a German sock yarn called "Regia"--the color says "Ringel Color"--whatever that means. I scored 3 full skeins in a thrift store, so I have enough to make socks for my two youngest daughters--my 12yo will need two skeins of yarn, and I was able to make the little socks for my 5yo with just one skein. The colors are definitely good "kid" colors.

Crystal, I have never made socks for a man (my dh isn't interested in crocheted socks)--I'd like to see what you come up with.

I tried to knit socks last year--it was a dismal failure. I'm not ruling out the possibility of trying again later, but I don't enjoy knitting as much as crocheting.

I am new to Crochetville, but I definitely want to join this CAL :) I have kind of a sock fetish, so I figured instead of buying them I can make them myself :) This will be my first pair of crocheted socks :)

Crystal, I have never made socks for a man (my dh isn't interested in crocheted socks)--I'd like to see what you come up with.

I tried to knit socks last year--it was a dismal failure. I'm not ruling out the possibility of trying again later, but I don't enjoy knitting as much as crocheting.

I love knitting. I have never used more than 2 needles at once. I have a DVD that shows step by step on knitting socks. It's called the Art of Knitting & Crochet vol. 2 it is an excellent DVD. The only reason I like it is the sock along part where it shows how to knit socks.

I am also going to buy a set of double pointed bamboo knitting needles for knitting socks. I don't want to risk the stitches falling off aluminum needles.

nah---socks are quick!! Yours are looking great.

I'm about 80% finished with my second jade sock--can't wait to have that pair finished!!! I want to wear them. :blush Visions of other sock patterns are dancing in my head...:D My next pair is going to be made of the Patons stretch sock yarn--looking forward to trying that.

What's one more project?????? I'm in. I've been collecting sock patterns all year long. It's been cold and raining here the last few days and I'm ready to give up my sandels and flip-flops for warmer toes.

Great--more sock-makers!!

Darlene--what pattern are you going to try? Will it be your first pair of crocheted socks?

Leslie--I know I've seen baby sock patterns at http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com , but I've never made any. They should go awfully quick--might be a good way to use a bit of soft baby yarn.

I took the Toe Up class earlier this Spring...may make that pattern again as I know where I had to make changes. I have a very high instep that made adjusting the heel/ankle a bit challenging. I'll probably work with a slightly thicker sock yarn as I will most likely be wearing them with loose fitting clogs. Now that I understand the principle will kind of wing it. I wish the stretchy yarn felt warmer to the touch. I'd like to try knitting socks but those four or five double pointed needles intimidate me.

I've learned something from almost every pair of socks I've made. Once you get the idea, you really can adapt sock-making to suit your feet and your preferences. The most heartbreaking thing I just learned is that the KNEE-HIGH socks I made for one of my daughters last year are unwearable--too small--and so I am going to have to frog them and remake them to fit. Some lessons are more painful than others--now I know. If it's too tight for me, it's too tight for my girls, who now BOTH wear the same size shoe that I do. There are forever appropriating my shoes....I recently lost both a pair of sneakers and a pair of casual dress shoes. Sheesh. "You don't need these, do you, Mom?"

Woo hoo! :woo

I finished the second sock of my second pair of lonely socks--no more lonely socks! All lonely socks have found sole mates and are happily matched at last.

I posted more pictures here, in the show-and-tell post for the sponsored CAL, because I bought this yarn and made the first sock during the CAL. I even uploaded a picture to the Loopy Ewe site.

Look at the other link for close-ups of the cobble stitch texture and my own heel method.

post-13065-135897446181_thumb.jpg

Archived