Kick Up Your Heels--SOCK CAL

Krakovianka

I think I found the pattern that I am going to use

http://www.redheart.com/FREEPATTERNS/tabid/118/Default.aspx?patternid=KTV2005C.pdf

I did that one, they were my First Pair of Socks (blog link with info if you want it).

I didn't work on my cable socks last night but another pair I have going. They were too tight to put on... not sure why, I think the heel. So I put it to the side for now too. They were an experient anyway.

Debbi

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did that one, they were my First Pair of Socks (blog link with info if you want it).

I didn't work on my cable socks last night but another pair I have going. They were too tight to put on... not sure why, I think the heel. So I put it to the side for now too. They were an experient anyway.

Debbi

Thanks for the link on the ankle socks. I am going to work on those in October! Since I have so much going on crocheting wise in September!

I'm interested (I love handmade socks!), but have a couple other things that I want to take care of first, so I'll just watch for now. :)

Y'all have fun!

OK started my socks and I am stuck. Here is the stuck part

Foot

Round 1: Esc in each st around - 40 [44, 48] esc.

Work evenly in esc until sock measures 2.5 inches LESS THAN desired foot length (back of heel to tip of toe). I HAVE GOTTEN THIS FAR

I ALSO MARKED IT WITH STITCH MARKERS HERE

Gusset

Place markers: Fold sock in half, with the foundation edge flat at the tip of the toe. The top layer of the tube is the top of the foot; the bottom layer is the bottom of the foot. Locate and mark (with a unique marker), the center stitch on top of foot for the midpoint marker. Place markers in 9th [10th, 11th] stitch on either side of center top foot stitch to mark the sides of the foot. Markers should be located about 1 stitch in from the side edges when the sock is folded flat.

DO I FINISH OFF UP AT THE TOP AND THEN RESTART HERE OR DO I JUST STITCH FROM THE FOOT TO THIS FIRST MARKED STITCH?? I AM SO CONFUSED.

Round 1: Esc in first marked st, 2 esc in next st, esc in each st across to last st before next marker, 2 esc in last st before marker, esc in marked st, 2 esc in next st, esc in each st across to last st before marker, 2 esc in last st before marker - 44 [48, 52] esc. You are simply increasing in stitches before and after marker in this round.

I GET THE STITCHES I JUST DO NOT KNOW WHERE I START?? DO I START NEW OR DO I START FROM A CONTINUATION FROM THE FOOT PART.

momtomany (how many???),

It sounds like you're doing the Ultimate Crocheted Socks from crochetme? Those were my first socks, too! The directions for finishing the foot/beginning the heel are a little off--you have to esc over to the marked stitch on the *side*, where you will begin the instructions for the heel.

Now, I'm going to give you a suggestion for making the heel, and you should feel free to ignore it if it's too confusing. Just follow the instructions as they are written if that's easier. However, a lot of people (including me) feel that the "heel flap" is too long on this sock. If I were making this pattern now, I would follow the instructions as written, except for one thing. As you work the back-and-forth single crochet rows, the instructions have you sl st at the end of each row ("picking up stitches", so to speak). Instead of doing one slip stitch at the end of each row, I would do two. This will still turn your heel, but the heel flap will be shorter and probably fit better.

If that is too confusing, blow it off and follow the instructions as they are--you will still have a sock when you are finished. I have learned something new from every pair of socks I've made, and I'm learning still, so it's a process.

Good luck!

Begin working in rows, starting at midpoint marker.

Row 1: Sc in marked st and in each of next 14 sts, place marker in st just made, 2 sc in next st, sc in each of next 1 [3, 5] sts, 2 sc in next st, sc in next st, place marker in st just made, sl st in next st, turn - 7 [9, 11] sc between and including marked heel sts.

How can this possibly be? When I do this my heel is on the side. I don't think I like crocheting socks.

Wow, Julie, that's fantastic! (about being a mom to 17, I mean). I feel like a "mom to many" with just 4, at least on some days!

Good luck on your sock--remember to make two. :lol

That's the hardest part making 2! :rofl

Well at last count 17 we do foster care and adoption. I understand your revised heel flap so when I get to that will try it. Thanks for letting me in on how to continue the gussett part. Your tips are greatly appreciated

Julie

Not that is any of my business but how in the world can you afford 17 children? I bet they get a lot of crochet goodies!

I started this pattern awhile back and that is the same place where I got stuck. If you go back to the original pattern at crochetme and scroll through the comments at the end of the pattern the directions are there for how to finish this sock, the pattern has a mistake. I have been thinking I should get my socks out and finish them.

We do foster care so there is some subsidy from the state, not much but some, and when you adopt special needs children they pay for their doctors and meds, and stuff, otherwise, no way no how. I also do a lot of coupon shopping and work hard on saving money. They are not all still here either so it is all good, there is always enough love to go around and God always makes a way!

momtomany,

It's been awhile since I made that sock, but I know that you have to make some kind of adjustment when you start the heel. You don't want the heel on the side (which is what happens if you follow the directions as they are written), so just sc to the middle of the bottom part of the foot (I think). Anyway, move the work to the center and follow the instructions. You make a sort of half-circle, and then work back and forth while "picking up the stitches" on the bottom of the foot. This turns the heel. It does work once you get started in the right place. Otherwise, it's such a good starter sock pattern--I wish they'd update the instructions over there.

It is red heart's heart and sole with aloe color razzle dazzle and the pattern is awful, so I would not suggest it, but here is the link.

http://crochetme.com/patterns/ultimate-crocheted-socks

I almost want to re write the whole pattern.

Thanks for the info on the brand of yarn and color. That pattern is hard. I started doing it months ago and just :frog it.

Well, now that my busy week is over, I am ready to pull out the socks, gird up my loins (so to speak), and overcome my case of "double second sock syndrome" before further complications develop.

So, to kick things off, here are my two single, lonely, seeking socks. The first one is made with Heart and Sole in (I think) watercolor stripe. The second sock is made from some fancy sock yarn I bought from the Loopy Ewe during the sponsored CAL. I still have the label somewhere, but at the moment all I can remember is that the color is something like "jade," and the name of the yarn is "Smooshy" (and it is). Those are both my own patterns that I have to recreate by closely examining the first sock, and then I think I will write them down (though not necessarily is a form suitable for sharing--that's so hard!).

post-13065-135897440263_thumb.jpg

post-13065-135897440267_thumb.jpg

What kind of yarn?

I made good progress on my sock yesterday--got the toe and foot done up to the point where I have to begin increasing. I had to start over a couple of times until I was sure I had the right hook size and tension, but it's going to be okay.

I also did a little inventory of my sock yarn stash, and discovered that I have enough yarn on hand for at least another dozen pairs of socks, so, um, I'm going to be in this CAL for some time to come.

I bought some sock yarn that was on sale at Joann's while I was in the states (seven weeks in the US, and I managed ONE trip to Joann's--probably my suitcase couldn't have handled more).

Anyway, I discovered that the Bernat Sox sock yarn is acrylic/nylon instead of wool/nylon, like most sock yarn I've purchased. I hope it hold up better than plain acrylic (that's what the nylon is supposed to do), but I wanted to mention it here in case anyone is allergic to wool and wants non-wool sock yarn.

It's really pretty, too.

Success!!:clap

I've completed one pair of my unfinished socks. The next one is going to be harder, I know, so I may make a little pair for my 5yo in between. Wait until you see this yarn--I found three complete skeins of sock yarn at the thrift store. Who can resist that? The colors, however, are pretty...intense. :lol With three skeins, I can make a pair for my 12yo and a pair for my 5yo, and they like bright colors. Good thing.

In the meantime, here is MY pretty new pair of socks, in tasteful watercolor stripe!

post-13065-135897441215_thumb.jpg

Archived