Kick Up Your Heels--SOCK CAL

Krakovianka

Karen, those are gorgeous. I like those colors and I'm also not one for bright colors.

I gave up on the cable socks (after about 5 errors, I decided that was it) and started another pair this past weekend, just about done. I'll post when I'm done.

Debbi

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Debbi, those are colorful, but believe me, they are tame, tame, tame compared to the bright yarn I got at the thrift store. We are talking lime green, bright orange and yellow, hot pink, and a little blue to tone it all down. :lol

That was really nice of you to give them away! Now you have a good excuse to make another pair for yourself, though...

Are you going to try the same pattern and look for something new?

After making several pairs of socks, I began to develop my own pattern, borrowing ideas and tweaking techniques I learned along the way. Now I have "my" basic sock pattern, which makes socks exactly the way I like them (the "right" stitch, the "right" heel, toe up in one piece, my favorite ribbing, etc....), and it's a good basic sock pattern, but I want to try other things.

Debbi--I really liked the look of that cable sock. Is it doable, or just too messed up to be workable?

I also have a basic pattern I like to try when I can't find a pattern I like.

The cable socks are doable, others on ravelry have done them (it was a CAL). One did cables from the toe and another did cables on the back of the leg. I just couldn't get them. And I've done cables before. I think it takes more concentration then I gave them. I just wasn't in a place to do them, I think.

I have another pair done, except weaving in ends and sewing up the toe. So... it might be a while. I brought them to work today to work on at lunch, but...

Debbi

LOL--yeah, I know what you mean. I finished the first of the little socks I'm making for my 5yo (boy, those little ones go quick!)---except for sewing the ribbing closed and weaving in the ends. I have to make the second one right away, while I still have the numbers in my head. For her growing feet, I always have to tweak each pair to be sure they fit.

http://www.quiltfixer.blogspot.com/

Making these socks, and of course I am stuck on the heel, you can see how hers looks and here is a pic of mine.

The other problem is I have 36 stitches to start and she says when you are done you should have 28-30 at 36 this sock barely fits my foot, so what the heck am I supposed to do now. I love to crochet socks but why on earth is it this darn hard!!!!

I think I'll join too :) I've never made socks, so I will probably use the sport weight yarn I have and do the blue camo one's that were in the November 2008 Crochet Magazine. I said I wanted to try them when I saw that pattern. First, have to finish up some baby things for my grandson's baby, a couple of afghans and then I'm free to do some things for me.

Toni, I made my first couple of pairs of socks with dk weight yarn, which is similar to sport. It's not a bad way to get a feel for what you're doing.

momtomany (Julie, right?), I looked at that pattern, and I MIGHT have figured out part of the stitch problem. She refers to 28 or 30 "grit stitches," but don't those stitches actually incorporate two stitch--a sc and a dc? So that 30 "grit stitches" is actually 60 stitches? That's how I'm reading that. When I make socks, I usually have 40 stitches around the foot, and when I start increasing for the gusset, I end up with 60 before starting the heel. Those numbers make good sense to me. If you have 36 actual stitches (instead of 36 double "grit" stitches), I can't imagine being able to get this sock on your foot--unless you are using a larger hook and yarn?

I can't figure out from your picture exactly what is going on. Have you made only the first half of the short row heel? Is it folded in half in your picture? If that is the case, I think you may have made it too large--it should only be worked off the stitches that are on the bottom part of the foot, leaving the top part unworked until you finish the heel. Then you'll begin working in rounds again, half of your stitches on the top of the finished heel, and half of them on the front side of your sock.

I hope that makes sense. It's so hard to write about these things.

P.S. Alternatively, if you know how to work an afterthought heel, you could skip this short-row heel, make a chain and work the cuff of the sock in the stitch pattern, and so a normal afterthought heel later.

Well, now that my busy week is over, I am ready to pull out the socks, gird up my loins (so to speak), and overcome my case of "double second sock syndrome" before further complications develop.

So, to kick things off, here are my two single, lonely, seeking socks. The first one is made with Heart and Sole in (I think) watercolor stripe. The second sock is made from some fancy sock yarn I bought from the Loopy Ewe during the sponsored CAL. I still have the label somewhere, but at the moment all I can remember is that the color is something like "jade," and the name of the yarn is "Smooshy" (and it is). Those are both my own patterns that I have to recreate by closely examining the first sock, and then I think I will write them down (though not necessarily is a form suitable for sharing--that's so hard!).

Those are very pretty. I really like the darker ones. What pattern did you use for those?

Okay, I did it! I couldn't wait :lol I made my first ever sock while watching the races today. It's a pattern from Crochet World November 2008, I think, Camo sock. And, I just happened to have that same yarn in a drawer. Now, I can make socks as well as dishcloths and potholders for small projects while working on big projects. Don't know why I was so intimidated by them! Going to go now and start the second one. YIPPEE!!

I hate shoes and usually run around barefoot. But in the winter, it's socks on the feet *LOL* These will be wonderful! Thank you for this CAL and getting me to TRY this. I love challenging myself to something new. Soon as I finish the second one, I'll take pictures!

Next challenge, the entrelac purse they had in one of the recent issues *LOL*

Well, now that my busy week is over, I am ready to pull out the socks, gird up my loins (so to speak), and overcome my case of "double second sock syndrome" before further complications develop.

So, to kick things off, here are my two single, lonely, seeking socks. The first one is made with Heart and Sole in (I think) watercolor stripe. The second sock is made from some fancy sock yarn I bought from the Loopy Ewe during the sponsored CAL. I still have the label somewhere, but at the moment all I can remember is that the color is something like "jade," and the name of the yarn is "Smooshy" (and it is). Those are both my own patterns that I have to recreate by closely examining the first sock, and then I think I will write them down (though not necessarily is a form suitable for sharing--that's so hard!).

I really like the jade sock! Wish you had a pattern :lol now that I'm no longer intimidated by socks! The other is nice too, but I really like the jade one (it's my color)

I am a "green" person--:lol Not in the sense of being environmentally conscious (although we recycle and don't waste things), but because green is my favorite color to wear, and features largely in my decorating. I love green. If it's green, it's mine. :lol Hence, the jade socks.

When I make the second sock, I will make enough notes so that I can repeat the pattern if I want to, but I find the idea of writing that pattern clearly enough for someone else to follow very intimidating. I think I should try to write my basic sock pattern first. I'd like to share the way I make heels. :)

Karen, please write up the way you do your heels. I love learning new ways do things! :)

How can I resist? :)

I'll try to write a proper pattern later, but the basic idea this thus. I understood the way a gussetted heel worked from The Ultimate Crocheted Socks pattern. I bought a pair of hand-made socks for my daughter, and I examined the way the heel was made very closely, and decided it could be duplicated in crochet.

I do a little math to be sure I know where to start, and then I work in my stitch pattern almost to the center of the bottom part of the foot. I work an 8x8 square exactly in the center bottom of the foot--8 rows of 8 sc. Then, I work 24 stitches back and forth around the 3 free sides of the square, slip stitching in two stitches on each side of the foundation row of the sock, until there are 16 free stitches left on the front of the sock. Then I continue around in my stitch pattern, having 40 stitches (24 + 16) to work with--the usual size of my socks.

That's the basic idea, and I love it because it makes a good-fitting heel and still allows me to work from the toe up in one piece, without the afterthought heel. (Although, I think everyone should learn how to make an afterthought heel if they want to make socks.)

Okay, I did it! I couldn't wait :lol I made my first ever sock while watching the races today. It's a pattern from Crochet World November 2008, I think, Camo sock. And, I just happened to have that same yarn in a drawer. Now, I can make socks as well as dishcloths and potholders for small projects while working on big projects. Don't know why I was so intimidated by them! Going to go now and start the second one. YIPPEE!!

I hate shoes and usually run around barefoot. But in the winter, it's socks on the feet *LOL* These will be wonderful! Thank you for this CAL and getting me to TRY this. I love challenging myself to something new. Soon as I finish the second one, I'll take pictures!

Next challenge, the entrelac purse they had in one of the recent issues *LOL*

Congrats on making your first sock!:clap

Do you have a photo of them somewhere? I may have missed it somewhere:blush. Would love to see them.

Debi, I've only made the one, am going to start the second one as soon as I get offline tonight and when they are complete, I'll post picture. You haven't missed anything :lol I'm really happy with how they fit. My next pair, yep I'm hooked, will be toe up instead of top down. Want to try all the techniques to find my "niche"

So, Toni--inquiring minds want to know. Did you make that second not??? :D

I've got 1-1/2 socks done of the little pair I'm making for my 5yo. I need to finish them up quickly and tackle that other second sock *I* need to make.

I'll have to give this a go the next time I work with crocheted socks.

Thanks! :yay

How can I resist? :)

I'll try to write a proper pattern later, but the basic idea this thus. I understood the way a gussetted heel worked from The Ultimate Crocheted Socks pattern. I bought a pair of hand-made socks for my daughter, and I examined the way the heel was made very closely, and decided it could be duplicated in crochet.

I do a little math to be sure I know where to start, and then I work in my stitch pattern almost to the center of the bottom part of the foot. I work an 8x8 square exactly in the center bottom of the foot--8 rows of 8 sc. Then, I work 24 stitches back and forth around the 3 free sides of the square, slip stitching in two stitches on each side of the foundation row of the sock, until there are 16 free stitches left on the front of the sock. Then I continue around in my stitch pattern, having 40 stitches (24 + 16) to work with--the usual size of my socks.

That's the basic idea, and I love it because it makes a good-fitting heel and still allows me to work from the toe up in one piece, without the afterthought heel. (Although, I think everyone should learn how to make an afterthought heel if they want to make socks.)

Archived