I made a Spinning Wheel!

Tia

I made a Spinning Wheel !!!

(see updated pics in post #17)

:bounce

With parts I bought at my local hardware stores, plus one piece from ebay (can you guess), and NO help from dh, other than borrowing his tools, I made this single treadle, spindle wheel. I took pictures of my progress:

post-11662-135897436255_thumb.jpg

post-11662-13589743626_thumb.jpg

post-11662-135897436266_thumb.jpg

post-11662-135897436269_thumb.jpg

post-11662-135897436272_thumb.jpg

Yes, that is a movie reel, I painted it black. I call my creation 'The Reel Wheel'. :lol

I actually purchased two movie reels, the smaller one was damaged, it's center was loose and I had a hard time getting it attached to the spindle so it would spin with it. I also couldn't get it to treadle properly with the drive band going around from reel to reel.

Too bad, it looked so great with both reels on there. I was even going to put movie film around the two reels after the drive band was attached. That would have covered the drive band and made it look like a film was playing. Oh well, maybe with some more work I could figure that out. But right now, the important thing is that it works!!!! :yay

I have some polyband drive band material on order that will replace that awful looking cotton yarn I have on there now. It was a little hard to figure, but I estimate the ratio at 10:1.

Now I just have to practice spinning. :cheer:clap

Thanks! My cotton drive band has already stretched out, so I guess I'll need to wait for the polyband to come before I can do much more with it. :blush

And the treadle cord keeps getting stretched out too. It's leather, not sure what else to try...the hemp cord broke. Oh well, still a little tweaking to do.

I'm impressed with the spinning wheel.:yes Even more impressed that you went solo on it. I wouldn't know where to start.:think

You should be proud!:cheer

hey I have heard that that colored plastic cording works as a drive band....ive also heard that vacuum cleaner belts work. if you are on ravelry you will find all sorts of resources for parts suggestions. BTW congratulations...im totally jealous.

Thanks! Believe it or not, I went by pics on the internet and watching youtube videos of people spinning. I've never used or even seen a real spinning wheel, except maybe years ago when I used to frequent antique shops, but then I hardly gave them a second look.

I just started out by making a drop spindle and then wanted a spinning wheel.

I'm impressed with the spinning wheel.:yes Even more impressed that you went solo on it. I wouldn't know where to start.:think

You should be proud!:cheer

The plastic cording for making lanyards? Yes, I'm on ravelry, I'll have a look there. Thanks!

hey I have heard that that colored plastic cording works as a drive band....ive also heard that vacuum cleaner belts work. if you are on ravelry you will find all sorts of resources for parts suggestions. BTW congratulations...im totally jealous.

WOW you go girl! :cheer:clap:cheer I haven't even gotten the hang of the drop spindle yet! Hope to some day and THEN think about a spinning wheel. ;)

Thanks everybody! I started with a spindle at first too. I made one top and one bottom whorl spindle. I wasn't any good at controlling the spindles and found it too frustrating. All I wanted to do was draft and control the fiber with BOTH hands, so I thought a spinning wheel would be the next step.

So far I'm still getting used to treadling. Once I get that down to where I don't have to think about it, I'll be in spinning heaven.

I'm also making a larger whorl to slow the wheel down, I'm over spinning and I think it'll be easier for me to learn if it's slower.

Ooo...guess what? :hyper I figured out how to put the other movie reel on my wheel!!! :yay:yay:yay And I made a bigger whorl at top to slow it down.

It works okay for now with the cotton yarn as the drive band, but it slips some...still waiting on the polyband to come in. After I attach that and the 35 mm film to the reels, I'll post a final pic.

I redid the crank because I figured out that was tearing up the hemp cord (treadle cord), so now it treadles more easily and doesn't break on me.

After all is said and done, I'll draw up some plans. Feel free to pm me if you want me to email the plans to you.

Thanks!

I did find a spinning group and I will take it with me to their next meeting.

Tia, it is wonderful. I think you're amazing. Have you taken it to a spinning group yet?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived