Question About Yarn for a Purse/Tote

Thanks to you all, I have some wonderful purse/tote patterns to make for Christmas presents for the friends I run/hang out with (can you do that at 52? LOL). My question is about the yarn and how it holds up. While I'm not nuts about RHSS for afghans due to it being scratchy I'm wondering if those traits make it hold up for bags without pilling up? I've thought of using cotton like Peaches & Cream or something similar but is that too soft? Does worsted weight yarn like ILTY which is softer get pilly and fuzzy with wear? I've not made a tote or purse before and I want them to be useful without extra care for the recipients. I'm thinking I will line the bags as well - so any comments or guidance you can give will be helpful - I'm excited to try this new thing!!!

I depends on if you are lining them or not.

Actually RH or Peaches and Cream would be good. They are both strong and alls you have to do if they get dirty, is toss them in the washer and dryer, then you are good to go.

PNC is softer, but it wears just as well.

Colors you want to use would depend on which one you use.:hook

If you want a sturdy purse that will last I would suggest using size 18 crochet nylon. Its hard on the hands but it makes a heavy purse that won't lose its shape. I usually use a g hook with it.

If you want a sturdy purse that will last I would suggest using size 18 crochet nylon. Its hard on the hands but it makes a heavy purse that won't lose its shape. I usually use a g hook with it.

Is that similar to the plastic canvas yarn? I have a tote I'm working up using a double strand of that (I'm pretty sure it is nylon) any you are so right about it being hard on the hands but I'm thinking it may work well to haul my books and stuff to bible study. I'm thinking it might be a little to coarse for an everyday purse - I'll look for this thought Thanks!

I would stay away from ILTY because it does pill up easily. I made a dress for my DD"s teddybear and had to wash it and it looks awful. I would use RH because its such a strong yarn.

:manyheart

Linda

Thanks for the tip - I was thinking that would not work well!!

I depends on if you are lining them or not.

Actually RH or Peaches and Cream would be good. They are both strong and alls you have to do if they get dirty, is toss them in the washer and dryer, then you are good to go.

PNC is softer, but it wears just as well.

Colors you want to use would depend on which one you use.:hook

I was hoping you would weigh in on this with the great totes you do every month. I think I'll try both the cotton & the RHSS and see which I like BEST!

I was a lucky recipient of one of shannie_nae's nylon purses in a swap, and it is fabulous! Very sturdy, functional, and pretty! I get compliments on it all the time!

I've made purses and bags in both.

My favorite is the cotton yarn, but I also love RH for purses. Some have pilled some haven't. My black one I'm carrying has on the back, probably because it rubs against me. But other then that it's great. I use a lot of RH in my purses because it's inexpensive and I just crochet another one when needed :)

I always line mine as I use various patterns and most are more open stitches, even DC can be a more open stitch for me (I crochet loose). If you can find a fabric store near by, then you can have fun with linings as well.

Here's 2 recent bags that I've made and I'm using.

Black Cable Purse is the one I'm carrying now, but working on a new one just for fun. Made with Red Heart yarn.

Cotton spiral tote bag is a tote bag I carry to work just about everyday and has lasted, even with tons of stuff in it (okay my purse is stuffed too, that's why I need a new one LOL) Made with cotton yarn.

So you can see that both work fine. Maybe try a few purses and if you don't feel good enough about giving them away, keep them. Of course I wouldn't be hurt if you gave me them to me;)

Debbi

I just finished a navy and white purse using Sugar 'n Cream and love the soft yet sturdy feel that it gave the textured pattern, however, I do have a couple of questions: 1) is there much difference between the Sugar 'n Cream and the Peaches and Cream?...and 2) As far as laundering, how can I keep the colors from fading? My only other experience with this cotton yarn is having made up dish cloths, and while so pretty and bright from the start they faded to dull the first time I washed them (warm wash/cold rinse, machine dried). I'd appreciate any insights as the Martha Stewart-ship has obviously set sail without me. :help

... but for purses nylon holds up the best.

Oh yes, Nylon! That's what I used for a purse I made: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101656&highlight=jeanne

It takes just a bit of getting use to, working with it, but a rather quick adjustment time, I thought. I love the feel of the end results, and can imagine it wearing like iron...without even coming close to looking like it!

Well, I have made a few purses in my day.. I'm not expert, but I really stand by cotton yarn. I don't like peaches n'cream for bags, because it does pill. I don't particularly like things like Redheart, because they tend to sag and can be too stretchy if you are carrying heavy items. Redheart would have some benefits though, especially if the stitches were tight. I think it would hold its shape much better if washed, but it does get pretty fuzzy. Cotton can shrink and it really depends on the pattern how badly and unevenly it will shrink. However, I honestly think that most bags should be hand washed or spot cleaned and layed flat to dry. So, overall, I suggest Sugar'n Cream cotton yarn, but if you are crocheting tightly and you're on a budget, Redheart would work fine. I also like I Love This Cotton for bags. It does get a little bit fuzzy, but it's such a nice yarn that it doesn't really look nasty and you can just pick off the fuzz here and there. It also has a really nice sheen and feels nice.

I'm working on my 1st purse (Fat Bottom Bag). I'm using double WW Peaches & Cream mainly cause I think it will look good. I thot about using nylon cause it would hold up best, but IDK how hard it would be to work with.

I see Tampa Doll likes PNC, but punkrocknchick doesn't, guess that goes to show "different strokes for different folks"!

It is like anything else, it depends on what you like to work with. I find Peaches and Cream and Sugar and Cream are the same.

If you wash in cold water and light toss in the dryer, it will not shrink or fade as fast as hot water and hot dryer.

I think any cotton yarn will work quite well. I would love to use the nylon, but the hands just won't let me. I can not even use the plarn.:yes

You should tak all the infor and see which suits you best.:hook

I wouldn't use RHSS...it ruffs up very easy...I made my mom a bag with it and in about a month of carrying it around it ruffed up bad! I'm using cotton to make a beach bag...hasn't ruffed up...) but you should use 2 strands of yarn...it is a bit to soft, it's okay if you want it soft, but if your making a tote your probably wanting it to stand up. I'm gonna make some with P&C cotton for christmas too!

-Baylee

• 4 weeks later...

Purses are my first love in crocheting. I prefer cotton (all sizes from thread to worsted), but have found that Berella 4 is great for durability and very little pilling. Also love to use sport with cotton thread in a double strand bag with single crochet. It is solid, strong, washable and you can create some great color combos.

This is leftover sock yarn with black thread.

post-14620-135897442828_thumb.jpg

Purses are my first love in crocheting. I prefer cotton (all sizes from thread to worsted), but have found that Berella 4 is great for durability and very little pilling. Also love to use sport with cotton thread in a double strand bag with single crochet. It is solid, strong, washable and you can create some great color combos.

This is leftover sock yarn with black thread.

[ATTACH]7879[/ATTACH]

That is lovely - I really like this idea I'm going to try to find the Berella!

I've made a few bags and purses. Most I've lined but I've found if I use 1 strand of cotton and 1 strand of RH with a k hook (I'm pretty sure it was my K - it was a tight fit but it worked well) - they've held up.

My Mom might as well put a brick in her purse it's so heavy and she's just tossed it in the washer and dryer 3 or 4 times already and it's good as new. It never lost it's shape.

I've used simply soft and it sux for purses. Way too much pilling. Great sheen but it pills just from use. Caron Pounders pill before RH also.

If nylon really is that hard on the hands then I won't be trying it. I just had my carpel tunnel surgery and I'm not about to abuse them (over use occasionally but not abuse lol)

If nylon really is that hard on the hands then I won't be trying it. I just had my carpel tunnel surgery and I'm not about to abuse them (over use occasionally but not abuse lol)

The nylon is not too bad unless you are using a small hook for a tight stitch. I have a tote patten using the nylon plastic canvas yarn and that is really rough on the surface of my hands. The Hilo nylon #18 that was recommmended is nice to work with and not so rough just kind of stiff.

Peaches and Cream cotton would work and it would be sturdy, and hold up to washing if need be. I make drawstring bags for my gymnast daughter and her teammates to carry their leather hand grips in, and they need to be washed often because they get so dirty with chalk dust. They hold up very well using the cotton yarn. Hope this helps!

Archived