Some suggestions please?

A friend of mine is having a baby boy. She asked me if i could crochet her a blanket. I'm fairly new to crochet. By that I mean that i'm not too advanced but I want to make her something nice. Does anyone know any simple patterns that are still gorgeous for a new mom and her baby boy? It would mean alot.

Oh, what fun! There are tons of patterns out there, and I'll bet that once you started, you'd find that there are many that your skilled enough already to tackle. Usually reading the pattern makes it seem difficult, but it's really not

Since it's for a boy, I wouldn't chose anything lacy. My favorite patterns that work up quick are:

a simple woven stitch pattern. That means after chaining as long as you want the blanket, you turn, single crochet in the second stitch from the hook, chain one, skip one stitch, than sc in the next stitch, ch 1, skip 1 stitch, repeat. In the next row, you're chaining 1 over the previous stitch and putting your single crochet in the chain 1 space. I love this pattern.

a V-stitch blanket in boy colors, or sports or college colors. These work up very fast for bigger blankets.

Or just a simple double crochet blanket, with a single crochet border, perhaps in a contrasting color. Sometimes the simplest stitches have the best impact.

Enjoy! Patty

When I was expecting my son last year, I made him one of RoseRed's flannelghans in yellow and green holding two strands of baby yarn. It's just strips of DC but has some pattern to it. Very simple but very nice. (You can find the pattern in the CAL section...)

i agree with the baby bubbles pattern. i was going to post the link too :)

but i would not recommend putting ribbon on it. they don't wash well, and they pull away making a very serious choking/strangling hazard.

i just made this blanket for a cousin and it turned out really nicely. i didn't use 2 strands though, just one. Buy a one pounder of yarn and you'll have enough for a nice sized blanket.

I think a Jacob's Ladder ghan would be neat for a boy. You don't have to make it as large as the pattern shows :eek

I think it would be neat done in patriotic colours for a little guy... The bright and bold primary Red, White and Blue would be totally WoW.

I agree with the granny square. For my last daughter I made a rectangular granny square using a rose as the main color with a matching purple and blue for accent. I think I did four rows of rose, two blue, 4 rose, 2 purple, 4 rose...repeat to desired size. I made sure to end with rose as it was the main color. Then did an edging of the blue and purple together. I was very pleased with it!

This is my favorite quick blankie.

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/patterns/bubbles_baby_blanket.php

I weave in a thin complementary ribbon about an inch in around the edge and tie a little bow in a corner to finish.

I love this pattern, it so easy to follow and is nice, soft and fluffy :cheer

I am suggesting this v-stich blanket from lion brand http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/70119A.html?noImages=

It works up quickly, the body is made up of double crochet, and you can use this boarder, or just do two to three rows of single crochet for the edging. (a contrast colour is nice). I have made this blanket several times, and it works up nicely.

If you decide to make this, the cotton ease is nice. Some yarn substituions are caron simply soft (...usually use a 6.00 mm hook for this yarn..takes a bit more than one skein...7oz for the main part. typically, I buy two of one color and one of another, use the on color for the border, then use the one skein for a sweater, and use the body of the blanket color for trim on sweater.) and Vanna's choice baby ( need 3 3.5 oz. skeins)

Good luck!

A ripple pattern is pretty easy, as it's a repetitive pattern.& I like a nice ripple pattern as it is warm..A ripple pattern was the first blanket one of my daughters did, when I taught her how to crochet. She took to it pretty easy.

I haven't read any of the other posts yet, so if someone else has suggested this and I have duplicated it, my apologies. :)

The Tiramisu blanket is a very easy pattern, and it's a very pretty pattern when it's all done. It's a free pattern available at Crochetpatterncentral.com, and the color possibilities are pretty much endless. The ribbon that gets woven through the border adds a real pretty touch to it, too, but the whole blanket is EASY to do, right from start to finish.

Here's a link to the pattern: http://rosylittlethings.typepad.com/TiramisuBlanket.pdf

Archived