Which Kind Of Yarn...

If you live near a Hobby Lobby or don't mind ordering off the internet, I LOVE THIS YARN is my favorite yarn. Fairly cheap (only about 20 cents more the RHSS), really nice and soft. Or Bernat Super Value which doesn't feel as nice until you wash it but after that.... I was shocked at how soft it was.

Sam

Caron Simply Soft is very soft. I don't know about how it holds up over years, some others will have to report on that.

I like Lion Brand Jiffy as well. It works up quickly and has a nice fluff to it. It is, however, not as soft as the Caron Simply Soft. I have a lap blanket I use quite a bit, and it has not pilled, shed, or become distorted.

I only wash my crochet things by hand, so I don't have trouble with pilling.

Another vote, here, as to the softness of Vanna's and also I Love This Yarn. I don't know about their durability.

WoolEase wears very well, but is not as soft as the others.

I like Bernat Super Value for softness and durability. The have a good selection of colors, but you may have to order online if you can't find all the colors locally. Lion Brand's Vannas Choice is also wonderful to work with for an acrylic.

I like Red Heart Super Saver for afghans myself. It's not limp like the "soft" yarns seem to me, and though a lot of people think it feels scratchy (which I don't), it softens nicely in the wash especially with fabric softener. It's also super durable, so no matter how much use it gets it's gonna hold up.

My other afghan favorite is Caron One Pound. It's a little softer than RHSS, but not limp which is always something I try to avoid in an afghan. It can get a little fuzzy, but other than that it holds up excellently as well from what I've seen. It has the added bonus that it comes in huge one pound rolls and you'd only need one, maybe two, to complete your afghan.

I would suggest Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn. I used to use Red Heart SS but the last afghan I made from it will probably not be around much longer. It does nothing but shed (I just made it for my grandson for Christmas last year--he's only 10 months old). I have used Caron's Simply Soft but they have changed it and it's not as soft and durable.

Krafty19, that's interesting about the Simply Soft. I got some recently and thought it felt different than the older skeins I have. I'll compare the durability.

I use the Caron One-pounders and find them okay. Not especially soft, but I prefer them to the other budget worsted weight acrylics. The items made with this yarn do pill after a while.

I am a huge fan of I Love This Yarn! I am making an afghan from it and am super-excited to finish it- it is just so soft!

I have made an afghan for dh using RHSS (against my better judgement) and to my surprise, it softened up quite a bit in the washer. Although now it is pilling and some of the ends have started to pop through. :think

I've made 2 afghans for my dd's with Bernat Berella 4 (it was on clearance for 99 cents a while back) and it is the most excellent yarn! It was stiff to use but softens up with each wash. I've never worried about an end poking through and neither one has pilled. My kids are 6 and 4 so the poor blankets get put through the wringer. LoL But they honestly both look like they were just made last week, when they were actually finished about a year ago. :manyheart

I like Vanna's, Caron One Pounders and RHSS (especially after it's washed). I've never done one in cotton yarn.

I really like wool-ease by Lionbrand for projects that I know will have to go through the wash a fair bit. It holds up very well. I made an afghan for my nephew, and it still looks good (I made it about 2 years ago). If you are looking for a cotton yarn that is very durable and easily washable, cotton ease by Lion Brand is also nice and soft and holds up well.

I will go out on a limb and suggest using 100% wool yarn. I know that it is more of a pain to wash, but it is very durable. They make some now that is called superwash wool that has been treated so that it is very easy to wash. I would recommend Cascade 220, a worsted weight wool that comes both as regular old wool and a superwash wool. I would also highly suggest Patons Classic wool (used to be classic merino, I think). My husband's cat has assaulted his afghan made out of that, and it has withstood his attentions nicely and is soft. The afghan has also been through the wash and is no worse for wear. I have several afghans made both from Patons and Cascade that get a lot of use, and they still look great and are very nice and soft.

All the ones I would use have already been mentioned. I am allergic to something in the RHSS.

Simply Soft by Caron is very soft, but I don't find it good for heavy use.

So I would say Berella 4 and ILTY are tied for 1st place with Vanna a close 2nd. and then Bernats Super Value next.

I do love Pound of Love for it's softness, but since I haven't used it in a ghan, I cannot vouch for the durability.

Caron Pound of Love is also very soft, but I've found the color selection to be limited. Maybe it is just the stores I shop. LoL I was also going to suggest that, while Caron Simply Soft is very, very soft, it might be rather heavy for an afghan. :think

OKay, I made and use daily an afghan out of Lion's brand chenille back in 1996. It was on my bed till this past spring. With menopause it was just too hot to have it on the bed for the summertime. Depending on my heat levels, it may or may not go back on in the fall. Now Hubby is missing it dearly, and I placed a lighter quilt on his half of the bed.

OKay, I made and use daily an afghan out of Lion's brand chenille back in 1996. It was on my bed till this past spring. With menopause it was just too hot to have it on the bed for the summertime. Depending on my heat levels, it may or may not go back on in the fall. Now Hubby is missing it dearly, and I placed a lighter quilt on his half of the bed.

WOW! I'd never of thot LB Chenille (or any chenille) would have held up like that!

That is good to hear! I have a pattern and yarn for a chenille afghan but really wondered how it would hold up with use. Thanks for the info. Hope you are able to put your afghan back in the fall!

I made my first full-size afghan with RHSS for my daughter 15 years ago. It's used daily and has been machine washed too many times to count. I've only had to repair it once and a little fabric softener in the wash keeps it nice and snuggly.

I like the "I love this yarn" for afghans. Along with TLC essentials.

Both are soft and wear really well.

:manyheart

Archived