Jane Market Bag

HomekeepingGran

My friend Maurine had a birthday on Saturday and I like to hand make my gifts, if possible. She loves green (so do I) so guess what color I searched for in my scraps and stash? This is the Jane Market Bag by Alicia Paulson from Posie Gets Cozy. You can see pictures of the monogram and the inside pocket in addition to the whole bag.

My little story here is that I started Maurine's bag sewing on my "nice" electronic sewing machine that I bought as a demo floor model for half price when they discontinued that machine. Janomé grows more and more into a Tempermental Diva, I'm afraid. This particular time, though, I think she might be truly sick and must see the sewing machine doctor for a checkup. In the meantime, I had rescued my trusty little workhorse, my old Sears Kenmore, from my cooking daughter's house where he was languishing, unloved, in a dark closet with lots of things piled on top of him. (My cooking daughter cooks, she doesn't sew.) Poor little machine. We have made so many garments together over the years, he and I. We clothed the C. family together — dresses, shirts, pants! So Friday afternoon I fed him some oil, wiped him down, and he positively sang! Rrrrrrrr, rrrrrrrrr, rrrrrrrrrr — and Maurine's bag came right together. The whole time I kept telling little Ken I was so sorry I have EVER said anything bad about him, LOL!

Flashback to the summer of '72: My husband and I were engaged to be married and we saw a sewing machine in a Sears store. It was on sale for $120. I had nothing in my pockets but I "borrowed" a $20 bill from him to put a down payment on that machine, putting it in lay-a-way. (I never paid him back in cash but he got his money's worth out of that loan, let me tell you.) I had a birthday coming up and asked for money for my machine which my family cheerfully gave me. This little sewing machine is certainly one of the best purchases I ever made in my life!

Now that you are thoroughly bored with my life's story, here are your pictures! ;)

post-11235-13589742075_thumb.jpg

post-11235-135897420753_thumb.jpg

post-11235-135897420754_thumb.jpg

I like it! I bought myself a sewing machine almost 3 years ago for a Christmas gift and it is still in the box. I mended with it one time. My yarn has overtaken my craft/art room and no place to set it up in the rest of the house with grown son back home with us since last Nov. I used to sew and would love to do it again. Maybe one day soon.

Thank you, one and all, for your comments. What's so funny about my little Kenmore is that the sewing machine doctor told me years ago that old machines with cast-iron works like this will last forever! It's also funny that while I crochet and knit (toss a little embroidery into the mix, too) I primarily consider myself a home seamstress. I just haven't done much of it lately. Maybe Ken and I need to choose some fabric and set another date!

Oh, I love, love, love your story! And, your friend is getting a great bag. The sewing machine doctor is right, there's nothing like those old machines for staying power.

Yeah for the Kenmore! I'm glad you gave both the machine and the bag new life. I've got a couple of older Kenmore things that do just go and go.

Your bag is lovely.

Archived