What to do with RH SS

I first purchased this yarn on-line for a specific aran afghan I was giving my sis as a gift. Usually I don't notice the name of a yarn, just go by feel, color, type for the pattern etc. Had I been in the store and picked this up, I NEVER would have purchased it. As far as I can tell, this yarn would be perfect for sanding down a hardwood floor or furniture for refinishing. I was still working on what I was going to do with the 9 skeins I already had and guess what? My friend brought over 8 more as a birthday present for me!!

The best I have come with so far is to make little mats for the local animal shelter. Figure it would be a cushion for the hairy butts and the roughness would not bother them.

Any other ideas? I can't find it in my heart to make anything I would give to a human to wear or use close to their skin.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

:think I use RH SS for everything. I love it. It washes up really nice and it does get softer after washing. It is also a very durable yarn. IMHO it is a much better yarn than I Love This Yarn at Hobby Lobby. I use RHSS yarn for hotpads, afghans, ponchos, shawls, baby blankets, baby dresses, booties, baby sweaters, diaper covers, granny squares, hats, scarves, purses and the list goes on.

Many people do like RHSS, especially if you are on a budget. I have plenty of it in my stash. I even made my oldest son's first baby blanket with it. It does wash up well and is durable. If you don't want to use it for afghans or wearables you could try purses or tote bags.

Your 'hairy butts' comment made me laugh.

they are great for stuffed toys or any other toys. i have been making some play food for my son's play kitchen with RHSS and it's great for it.

I made my grandson's baby blanket from RH SS and hated working with it but finished. I washed and now it "sheds" all over the place. It's been washed several times and it just keep shedding. I have little red fuzzies all over the carpet!

I was going to say stuffed toys or amigurumi too. :yes That and the pet blankets you mentioned are the only things I use RHSS for. I've heard it's good for the swiffer dust cloths.

I remember reading that quite a few people have reported skin rashes from it lately so what I've got in my stash is all I'll ever buy anymore. If I break out from it, out to the trash it goes.

Hi, I have found RHSS to be good for Afhgans (it is very durable, and washes up softer each time). I also use it on towel toppers. Hope these are useful suggestions.

P.S. if you really don't care to work with it, i am sure that a carity crochet group would be willing to take it off your hands, although I know you mentioned that you recieved some as a gift so you may not want to go that route.

I first purchased this yarn on-line for a specific aran afghan I was giving my sis as a gift. Usually I don't notice the name of a yarn, just go by feel, color, type for the pattern etc. Had I been in the store and picked this up, I NEVER would have purchased it. As far as I can tell, this yarn would be perfect for sanding down a hardwood floor or furniture for refinishing. I was still working on what I was going to do with the 9 skeins I already had and guess what? My friend brought over 8 more as a birthday present for me!!

The best I have come with so far is to make little mats for the local animal shelter. Figure it would be a cushion for the hairy butts and the roughness would not bother them.

Any other ideas? I can't find it in my heart to make anything I would give to a human to wear or use close to their skin.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

HAHAHAHA! You crack me up!

The mean person in me says throw it all away! The nice one says crochet the mats for animals and/or donate the leftover yarn to a school. Kids can use it for craft projects. Maybe even donate it to a senior center. Just don't wear it! hahaha

As far as I can tell, this yarn would be perfect for sanding down a hardwood floor or furniture for refinishing.

this quality makes it great for scrubbers :hook If you scrub with abrasive cleanser, that softens up the yarn, but surprisingly doesn't fade the color much:lol

I've made this one with 2 colors of SS, for stripes, and it's really cute

http://dishclothcorner.blogspot.com/2008/05/spiral-scrubbie.html

I also agree it's good for small toys. I can stand to have it in my hands for the length of time it takes to make a scrubbie or ami, but that's my limit. I know a lot of people use it and like it,, but I just don't like the way it feels to work with, and I don't think it softens up much when washed.

Archived