How many stitches are there?

A post in Stitch Help asking about a book containing all known stitches has led me to pose this question: How many distinct crochet stitches do you know of? I mean single stitches, not stitch patterns such as shells, [ETA: i initially included popcorns here but it's been pointed out that they should be considered one stitch as you finish them as one stitch :-) ], ripples, picots, lacets--those are patterns made up of individual stitches. (I think the OP in that post was actually wanting a comprehensive reference of stitch patterns, but it made me wonder about individual stitches.)

Here is what I can think of (US terms) without consulting a reference book--

chain

foundation single crochet (aka base chain sc)

foundation double crochet

foundation triple crochet....etc.

slip stitch

single crochet

double crochet

triple crochet

double triple crochet....etc.

solomon's or lover's knot

extended single, double, triple, etc.

linked double crochet

bullion stitch

front/back post stitches

What other individual stitches are there?

would you consider a cluster stitch to be made up of many stitches. The cluster is only half done until all the stitches are finished together.

Puff stitches are definitely a single entity

I consided a cluster st and popcorn st a single stitch not a stitch pattern.

Yes, I see what you mean, they are finished as a single stitch. Good point:hook

double single

intertwined cross stitch

spike stitch

front loop

back loop

purl single, etc stitch

and there are also the elmore stitches:

half elmore

elmore

double elmore

treble elmore

double treble elmore

tall texan

thought of some more

reverse single or crab stitch

picot stitch

and of course all the tunisian stitches

double single

intertwined cross stitch

spike stitch

front loop

back loop

purl single, etc stitch

and there are also the elmore stitches:

half elmore

elmore

double elmore

treble elmore

double treble elmore

tall texan

thought of some more

reverse single or crab stitch

picot stitch

and of course all the tunisian stitches

Good list!

I think Elmore and extended stitches are the same---essentially you make a chain stitch at the bottom of the stitch, right? I'm not sure what a tall texan is...?

I also don't know what a double single or purl single are?

Is intertwined cross stitch the one where you make an X shape all in one stitch? there are also Y and upside down Y shapes made similarly, and I've no idea what name they might have other than "Y stitch";)

:thinkIn my book, there is only one stitch and all pattern stitches are based on variations of that stitch.

:cheerThe stitch I am talking about is the humble CHAIN.:cheer

Without the CHAIN, no other pattern stitch would ever exist.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

For me there's only one stitch. All others are variations of the chain.

US patterns have all these different names for pattern stitches that are totally unknown to us in Sweden. We've always made them, but we don't name them as you do.

Potholder stitch (not sure if it has another name; sc worked into the back loop & unused loop of sc below, makes a double thick stitch)

Purl -- see here http://fullofstitches.com/blog/purl-crochet/

ETA - a recent thread on double single http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100062

Potholder stitch (not sure if it has another name; sc worked into the back loop & unused loop of sc below, makes a double thick stitch)

It's called waffle stitch.

Purl -- see here http://fullofstitches.com/blog/purl-crochet/

ETA - a recent thread on double single http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100062

Very interesting! And I thought double single sounded familiar, but I didn't know where I'd seen it :P

Thanks!

has anyone mentioned the "hump stitch"?? or "trinity"? seed? slant?silt? v-st?

The book "63 easy to crochet pattern stitches" has a few names listed, but not sure if I fully understood how you are quantifying names to fit here (it's late where I am and brain may be in sleep mode).

Sandy

has anyone mentioned the "hump stitch"?? or "trinity"? seed? slant?silt? v-st?

The book "63 easy to crochet pattern stitches" has a few names listed, but not sure if I fully understood how you are quantifying names to fit here (it's late where I am and brain may be in sleep mode).

Sandy

What I was thinking was individual stitches....V-st is made up of 3 individual stitches (dc, ch, dc) so it is what I would call a "stitch pattern" rather than an individual stitch.

I'm not exactly sure what some of the others you listed are, will have to research......

This is harder to communicate with written words than it would be if we could see one another's crocheting or at least look at the same book :lol

Archived