Crocheted baby items question

My sister is expecting her baby in January. She won't find out what the baby is until September. I am wanting to make something now for the baby and mail it to her. What would be a good small item to make so postage won't be sky high. She lives in another state. Also what would be the best color to use since the sex of the baby is unknown. She has never had children so this is her first child. Any ideas?

I am going to make more items when we know what the baby will be. I am just itching to make something for my little niece or nephew. My yarn is just begging me to make a baby item.:lol Of course I will be making a lot more items for the baby. I just want to surprise her with a small baby item.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

A baby afghan wouldn't cost too much to mail. I mail full size afghans to family all the time across the US and it is usually under $10. As far as colors, you could do white, cream, pastel yellow or green, or a baby varigated. I'm working on a baby afghan right now in white (Lion Brands Pound of Love).

Hats, bibs, booties, toys are all good ideas. Purple is another good color that is pretty gender neutral.

I am in the same position. I just found out my SIL is expecting and it will be a few months before she finds out gender.

Burp cloths, booties, mittens (so they won't scratch their precious face), easy sweaters, toys, mobiles, and other things that can be made and mailed quite easily.

Find out if Mom to be has a theme for the nursery, and go with her idea for a gift.

For example, if she is doing a jungle theme, you could make a cute monkey for the baby on the way.

I'm sure you will make a wonderful gift.

:manyheart

Bibs would be great (never can have too many of those), booties, hats, washcloth. I have begun to make baby things in brighter colors. My little gs loves his red afghan.:crocheting

do you have the crochet-pattern-a-day calendar for this year? about a week or so ago, they had a pattern for stuffed blocks. i thought they were really cute. and you can use up scraps for that.

Ecru instead of white... A hat booties or bib will be lite weight and not cost that much to mail. Now if you have the chance, you can continue with the pattern and crochet a sweater, and afghan later on and maybe Mom or Grandma will pick up the postage if you can't afford it.

me, I always make a white layette set, because they can choose to use it for a special occation or cristening time...but that is me...good luck, it is FUN making baby stuff!!

There are patterns online for boxes and baskets. Make one in an appropriate size to keep diapers.

How about a cozy to fit a wipes container?

Yellow, green, are goos baby colors.

If it is not for the baby to wear, primary colors are good.

Archived