Pattern to Pen to Paper

LadyyOftheOak

Question

or....How to get started writing down patterns.. :think

The ones of you that write down your patterns, do you start with graph paper? or by just writing down the pattern as you work it up?

I've done tons of stuff sans pattern, but am unsure how to get started doing it :think

21 answers to this question

Glad I was of some help!

I know what you mean about the pattern writing... ! Sometimes takes soo long to write out patterns.. esp since i write as i go.. so it takes forever to make the first run.,. sometimes i get so excited to see end result i have in my head that i skip writing for a couple rows- that i must stop! You are right, it is all a learning process.. and i am too getting much better-

And your patterns are beautiful!! You seem to do it much quicker than me though!! I don't think a pattern has taken me onl 5 hours yet to create.

But then what also makes it difficult it finding time.. between all the housework... and nursing my daughter (she is Still refusing baby food!) so she nurses very often even in night. Pediatrician says as long as she is having her vitamins everyday and still gaining weight she is fine.. So often many days I don' have time to sit and crochet...

My second group got better, now this third is much more organized. I'm getting the hang of it. It helps that my patterns are simpler in this group, too. Luckily, they are finding the mistakes for me in the first group.
when you say group you mean testers or publishers or patterns?

anyway! I am glad I was of some help!

Changing sizes is very difficult for me, too. The hardest was when I had to do the bathing suits group. I, originally, had high-cut bottoms with tie strings. All I had to worry about was making the backside bigger as the size went up. That was hard enough. The publishers rejected the bottoms and asked that I change the design to a boy cut. I thought that shouldn't be too hard, but I learned a serious lesson in that. Making a close fitted bottom is VERY hard, but to change the size to small, medium and large is EXTREMELY hard. At least it was for me. I just about pulled out all my hair by the time I got all the math figured out. Making patterns is a lot harder than non crocheter/knitters might think. You just about have to be a math wiz.

The first one I make I don't write down anything. That is usually when everyone "ooooohs and aaaaaws." Then, I go back and make a second one, this time I count and record on a piece of paper as I go. Writing this down is usually pretty easy and this is usually the part where I find easier ways of doing something or any errors that I may have made.

The difficult part is changing to a different size. I usually do it on paper first and this is where the math comes in to play. Then, I crochet it from the paper pattern I made to see what it looks like. This gives me a good idea if something is too long, too wide, or just wonky and I make changes at this time. Also, by crocheting from the paper pattern it is another way for me to catch any errors that I have made.

This is probably why it takes me so long to write a pattern because of my methodology is long and tedious and I usually get bogged down at the additional size part. I have several patterns that I never wrote down or I only have written them for 1 size and I know as soon as I offer it up, people will want it for other sizes.

I completely understand why you search the internet and find the perfect pattern, but it is only in size 6 months and you need 12 months. When I first started crocheting, I never really thought about why that was. Now, I completely understand. Size changing is very difficult there are measurement charts that help, but it sure is a pain in the butt.

Thanks everyone for the great tips in this forum. They will be a great help! Does anyone find writing out their patterns as tedious as I do? most of the time I cant seem to force myself to do it. Too anxious to get on with the project or the next one I have in mind :(

I'd agree with that actually Sabra. I write poetry and stories as well and I can write it much easier than I can type it. Waking up with poetry in my head sometimes is why I keep a pen and paper right beside my bed, because if I get up and don't do it right then, it's gone. I haven't had that problem with crochet as yet though thankfully :)

Hmm, using a pencil would make things so much easier. :lol

I make a conscious effort to keep my patterns simple (not that it always works!), but if it is something I think will be relatively complicated I make certain to write it down row-by-row as I go. I have a yellow legal pad I'm using right now. It involves a lot of crossing stuff out.

Beyond that, in the actual designing rather than the writing...I know my gauge for most hook/yarn combinations that I use, so I go by what I want the finished measurement to be & do a bit of math beforehand. But I also measure frequently as I go along, since my math isn't always good (hazards of designing past midnight!).

It's never occurred to me to use a computer to assist writing the pattern, to be honest. But then, I'm also in the midst of the long and painful process of writing a novel longhand. :blush I'm much more creative when I'm not plugged in.

Yanno that's not a bad idea :lol

I'm going to write my pattern down in Word I think, but skip the abbreviations, then go back and "Replace" so that I have all the abbreviations without having to think through them as I write :hook

I'm so bad at documenting. A lot of the things I make (mostly shawls & bags) I make up as I go along. I don't have the patience to write it down as I'm working, so I never have a pattern at the end. I'm thinking of investing in an inexpensive digital voice recorder so I can say what I'm doing, and then transcribe it later if it's worth saving for posterity :lol

Holly

Oh don't be sorry... 90% of the time I confuse myself just for the heck of confusing myself i think!

You definitely have talent... your designs are phenomenal! The really are...

And I agree there is a LOT of talent on this board and I firmly believe we need more hours in the day, If only humans did not need sleep- then I would be set.

Congrats on the publications!!! That is definitely an accomplishment in itself and one to be proud of... you most definitely deserve it!

I'm sorry. I didn't clarify. I have submitted 2 groups of crocheted clothing to be published as pattern leaflets. I'm working on the 3rd, right now. I talk about it, but I still feel very uncomfortable saying this book, that book, so I say group. :blush I know. It's weird. I'm embaressed that my website states that a book is comming out soon. It's like saying, "Ooh! Look at me." There are so many talented people here on this forum that I just kinda blend in. I like that. :lol I know that I have gotten off the subject, but I just have to say that you all inspire me. :manyheart There is so much talent here, that you can't help but want to crochet. I learn something new every day that helps me to improve my work.

I use a post office scale.. bought it for I think 40 dollars. I keep the label from yarn and then when done I weigh it.. from that I can figure out how many yards used usually... most yarn wrappers or thread gives amt of the skein in oz and yards so I am able to convert from oz to yards.
I :manyheart that idea!! I can do that with my poncho and dress. They have beads on them, but I can weigh the same amount of beads and minus that off the total weight. THANK YOU!! You just saved me a lot of headaches on those 2. It takes me forever to write out my patterns. My first batch of patterns I sent off to be published had some mistakes in them. Sorry to say, I didn't find that out until after I sent them off. I was sooo disorganized. My second group got better, now this third is much more organized. I'm getting the hang of it. It helps that my patterns are simpler in this group, too. Luckily, they are finding the mistakes for me in the first group. I felt so bad. It's a learning process, though. Writing out instructions can be very difficult, because you have to write them to where everyone can understand them. One top took me 5 hours to write out. It had a lot of lace on it, and every row was different. I had a huge headache after I got done with that one.

or....How to get started writing down patterns.. :think

The ones of you that write down your patterns, do you start with graph paper? or by just writing down the pattern as you work it up?

I've done tons of stuff sans pattern, but am unsure how to get started doing it :think

I find a stitch I like, decide what it'll be, grab my yarn, a hook, pen and notebook, and start crocheting. I make a row, write down the instructions, count the stitches and write that down, make another row, write it down, and...Well, you get the idea. I am always surprised :eek to see what my design looks like when I hang it up and take a look at it. I guess I'm the most unorganized designer here. I just recently made a list of all the things I need to write on the pattern besides the rows. Hopefully that will help me remember what needs to be there. :hook

I use a post office scale.. bought it for I think 40 dollars. I keep the label from yarn and then when done I weigh it.. from that I can figure out how many yards used usually... most yarn wrappers or thread gives amt of the skein in oz and yards so I am able to convert from oz to yards.

As for designing i have to write it down as I go. For some reason my designs usually are very intricate.. and mathematically intense. I use both Word and Excel. I try to write things in many sizes.. thus excel has become my very good friend... So every line I write in word... I then go to excel and compute whatever i need for that line. I design the excel sheets such that I can put in,, oh lets say armhole depth, chest and hip that I desire.. then voila each row has everything computed. It is though indeed a LOT of work.. but I only think it is so much work for me because my designs can become so involved for me to write.

Sometimes I get ahead of myself and think I will go back I know what I did on that row... hah! I have learned that mistake and I do not do it again lol. I guess it would be different if you have something that is the same row after row.. but for example in one of my patterns designing the ruffle.. the ruffle goes over several rows of doing things that are not the "norm" in the crochet world; thus, it is mandatory for me at least to keep track of everything- especially when it comes to sizing.

I call my desinging "runs." I have just begun to design but what I am developing into doing is keep track of everything as I do it in Word and Excel. Then I hold it up, measure, to make sure size is coming out right. I then put it away for a few days, work on something else. Then I go back to it, and make a second "run." It is on that run that I adjust- I can sit there for hours frogging one row over and over and over to get the right look. It is so nice for me to have the first piece to look back at to gauge how something a tad different will look, and compare. I do not know how it is for anyone else, but pattern writing is a VERY time consuming task for me... but I think as said before.. it is due to the involvement of my stitches and sizing and well me being such a silly perfectionist. lol

My Summer Angel set took 4 runs before giving it to testers.. and STILL there were errors.. And I attribute it to the pattern being very complicated, or rathr, involved to write, and me going ahead a few rows without writing down what I was doing.. AND my biggest problem was cutting and pasting. I didn't take enough time to make sure everything was cut out to be cut out, or that everything made sense. On my minishorts- lol to begin the legs, I left the whole old version in there for several lines.. my poor testers though didn't throw me out the window :):)

I hope this is of some help :)

The thing I have to be careful of is keeping track of how many spools of a certain thread/yarn did I use on a project. I tend to lose track of that. Do any of you know how to figure from a finished project how much yarn you used? Is there a trick? If there is, I would like to know it. I have a poncho and a dress that I lost track of the thread amount I have used.

I used to have that problem too. Now what I do is, next to where I put in my yarn type I make little slash marks for each skein I use of each yarn. So when I'm done, I count the slash marks and it tells me if I've used 3 skeins or however many. I also keep the wrappers that come around the skeins and confirm my count. If there is a partially used skein, then I estimate how much was used and divide it by the amount stated on the skein. HTH

Those are great ideas :) I might have to work a template up in Excel or something and as Im usually piled up on the couch watching TV when I'm crocheting at home, I can just type it into the template as I go.

I'm guessing you wind up doing alot of frogging when trying to get the initial spacing right.. am I correct? :blush

WOW Cheryl!! You are like TOTALLY organized. I try to be, but it's impossible. It's not in my blood. I TRY to handwrite my patterns down as I'm working. That's really hard, because I crochet everywhere. Sometimes, you can't write it down. If I don't, then I handwrite it down once I'm done with the project. LOL HA HA HA. Ok, I'll admit it, I do it at the last minute, rushing around at 4 am trying to get it done before 6 am, so I can mail it to the publisher. ANYWAYS, I try to first handwrite it down. Then I take the project, and check the stitches while I'm typing it into Word. This is my way of double checking my instructions.

The thing I have to be careful of is keeping track of how many spools of a certain thread/yarn did I use on a project. I tend to lose track of that. Do any of you know how to figure from a finished project how much yarn you used? Is there a trick? If there is, I would like to know it. I have a poncho and a dress that I lost track of the thread amount I have used.

I too have what I call my template that has all that imformation on it. But You know I never thought of printing it up and using it as I go. I normally just keep copious notes scribbled on a sheet of paper I keep beside me, then transfer the info when I get a an opportunity. Will have to give that a try.

The point is document everything you do. The smallest thing can make or break a pattern. Don't asume the person is going to know what you want. Tell them.

When I come up with an idea, I usually graph it out on graph paper first then guestimate what size hook/yarn to use. I list size of hook, what yarn/thread I'm using, if there are to be any special stitches, whether I'm working in back loops only, front loops only or both loops. I try to write down as many details before I begin crocheting. It's a very rough draft so it can get very disorganized & messy. Then I begin crocheting the object and write down everything as I go; how many chains in the starting chain and each row after. I have printed out a page I made in Word that is very helpful. The top half is blank for sketching an idea, the bottom half has all my requirements (hook size, yarn/thread size, etc). Then on page 2 I have Row1, Row2, etc spaced out evenly down the page. Then I just fill in the blanks as I go. I found that doing the mundane things is what was taking me forever to write out a pattern....this helps tons.

Archived