Skin tears from hook

Guest Crafterlady46

Guest Crafterlady46

What do you do to prevent skin tears. I use a size 11 hook or smaller and find only the black electrical tape works. Other things I have tried are super glue, a leather thing, duck tape, cloth bandaids, surgerical tape and liquid bandaids. I even have tried holding the hook loose and in different places. Still the hook catches the skin sometimes.

Priscilla

I have a thread tablecloth that I've been working on for years now. Every time I pull it out I have to wrap my index finger with surgical tape to keep the fine thread from sawing through my finger and to cut down on hook pokes. I think I've built up a small callus on that finger from years of crocheting though.

I had the same problem with the small hooks. I found the foam rubber sleeves to put over the hooks and what a blessing. I bought several so that I do not have to wear one out changing from hook to hook. The sleeves can be found in most craft catalogs.

Band Aids seem to work for me. I'll try the electrical tape thing. Also, I tried these leather things made by Clover. They work sometimes. I have adjusted my hook holding and also tried to stitch looser so I don't have to POKE the hook through the stitch too hard, it just slides in. I only get the tear if I work for HOURS and I can't do that with thread cuz it hurts my eyes so I don't have that problem very often.

I have always just used the smallest bandaid they make. I feel like a clutz if I put much more on. But stop crocheting and let it heal. NEVER!!!!!!. I just keep on working.

This only is a problem though when I get involved with a larger project. Or when I am using smaller threads and hooks. 40 thread or smaller and a 13 hook and smaller. Unfortunately for me I love the finer threads.

I will have to give the electrical tape a try. Haven't tried that one yet. though I have all the rest at some point.

I'm working with 20 size thread. I haven't gotten up enough nerve to work with 30 or 40. and the tiniest of my hooks. I haven't had a problem with the 10 or 20 cutting my fingers - although I find that my tension is loser with the thread then with other fibers. Maybe that it why.

:think Huh. This is an interesting question. You know I've never, ever been injured while working with tiny hooks? Of course it makes sense - those little buggers are sharp, but it's never happened to me before. I wonder if we have different holds or something? Just curious.

When I was working on the filet with the size 30 I had to wrap a bandaid around my index finger because the thread was cutting into it, but then I ended up with plastic coated thread, which I wasn't happy about.

My vision's wonky enough now with everything going on that I haven't been able to think about working with thread in a few weeks, but I still have a red hole in my index finger from my hook. I'm starting to wonder if it'll ever go away :lol

Guest Crafterlady46
:think Huh. This is an interesting question. You know I've never, ever been injured while working with tiny hooks? Of course it makes sense - those little buggers are sharp, but it's never happened to me before. I wonder if we have different holds or something? Just curious.

How much do you crochet? Mine only bothers me when I crochet for 10 hours or more a day. Usually I only work a few hours and it doesn't bother me. I can use a size 8 hook forever and not get a crack but if I use anything higher....errr it's like a knife cutting to the bone. I do doilies for a small living. I do a lot of crocheting. Too much. Right now I am making about 3 doilies a week. I am making up for lost time from a broken wrist.:rolleyes I made one today and my finger is sore. I will have to wear the black tape again tomorrow. The hook just slides over it. The only drawback is it's sticky. Comes off easy though. The cloth bandaids make me break out. They did work pretty good. Super glue worked ok. Didn't last long enough. I am thinking a plastic finger to cover the real one :lol

Priscilla

Like Priscilla, this is really only a problem for me when I have been crocheting for an extended period of time. and then only if I am using the smaller hooks, 13 or smalller. But it does happen on occasions when I get to involved and forget to take enough breaks. Nice to know how other deal with it though.

Would love to see the pattern for that. Or even a picture of it would give me some idea of where to begin to make one.

I'll look through my magazines and see if I can find it again. I have all my small magazines in a filing cabinet, so it shouldn't be too tough to find it. I know it's a simple one to make. I'll let you know when I find it.

Thanks, I am currently working on an Irish crochet poject and will probably need it before I am done. some one asked for the pattern for my irish crochet purse and am trying my hand at writting it out.

If you go into an Office Depot or some place that sells office supplies, you can find something called a rubber finger(I think that is the name).

It is used instead of tacky finger to help count money or papers. It fits over the finger very well, and it works great.

Here are two examples of what I mean.:D

ET981691.gifET981692.gif

They are rubber fingers that fit over your finger. I found them in office depot by typing in tacky finger.

The brown ones I found by searching under office supplies.

Good luck.

What do you do to prevent skin tears. I use a size 11 hook or smaller and find only the black electrical tape works. Other things I have tried are super glue, a leather thing, duck tape, cloth bandaids, surgerical tape and liquid bandaids. I even have tried holding the hook loose and in different places. Still the hook catches the skin sometimes.

Priscilla

Oh shoot, you mean that leather thimble thing I just bought isn't going to help? I saw it and thought it was a brilliant idea, what with the fingertip covered in leather and continuing down on one side, and that little elastic to hold it on. I guess I'll cross my fingers that it will do well enough for what I do, since I don't crochet with thread all the time and I tend to use the larger steel hooks.

Guest Crafterlady46

The leather thimble didn't work for me, it might work for you. I hold my hook real tight and go like a bat outta h e double hockey sticks. My hook is one of the real small ones. I have bad crochet habits and am a lazy crocheter. I don't pay attention half the time. Most of the time I am glued to the tv watching soaps and I get so involved I slip with the hook and it gets me. I have found a hook that is rounder, I like it much better. I have like 10, #11 hooks and I only like one of them. I don't usually get the skin tears with the larger hooks.

Guest Crafterlady46
If you go into an Office Depot or some place that sells office supplies, you can find something called a rubber finger(I think that is the name).

It is used instead of tacky finger to help count money or papers. It fits over the finger very well, and it works great.

Here are two examples of what I mean.:D

ET981691.gifET981692.gif

They are rubber fingers that fit over your finger. I found them in office depot by typing in tacky finger.

The brown ones I found by searching under office supplies.

Good luck.

I think I might just try one of those out. I am going to town tomorrow to buy some angora for a bear I plan to make. I think I will stop at staples. They would probably have them.

I never had that problem either, but it does seem like my finger would get sore on the end from guiding the hook (the left hand not the hand holding the hook itself) I'm trying to remember, but it seems like I just used a bandaid on that finger.. anything else was just too cumbersome.

and the foam grips ROCK. I had some that you put into hot water, then put on the hook and molded it to your finger grip (like a mouthpiece for sports lol) and it was awesome. No more sore hands from holding the tiniest hooks and the grip was perfectly fitted to me :manyheart

Crafterlady - How in the world to you work on thread corchet and watch TV at the same time without looking at the thread? :confused and not stabbing yourself. I can to that with any yarn project but the thread is so tiny.

Guest Crafterlady46
Crafterlady - How in the world to you work on thread corchet and watch TV at the same time without looking at the thread? :confused and not stabbing yourself. I can to that with any yarn project but the thread is so tiny.

Because I wear the black electrical tape on my finger. :D Thread is easy for me because it's all I have ever done. I have not completed a yarn project. It's like holding a baseball bat. It looks like a pile of gobbly goo everytime I try it. :hook

Archived