New Crochet hooks

woah! I just read this on the crochet hook section:

Caution: Though made of very hard strong woods and designed for years of use, wood hooks are not as strong as plastic or metal. They should be used for nonmetallic yarn only, and should not be used for other purposes, such as prying things open. Also, if you grip so tightly that you bend your metal hooks with use, these might not be for you.

And at $14 each! Id be afraid I would break it. As I have broke the plastic ones before.

I bought myself some - my Xmas pressie to me - and I love them. I have big hands and I crochet with a lot of, um, energy. But these hooks are tough. Bill Schmidt (the owner) told me not to be afraid of them :D Sure, they're not as tough as metal, but unless you are trying to stick them through an obviously-too-small hole with great force, they won't snap or break.

I crochet every day and I use these hooks every day. I hope to use them for years and years, so figure the cost of a $14 hook over 5-10 years... And then think about the $1-2 you spend here and there on nonsense... Add up all of those odd dollars and think of what you COULD spend them on ... Wouldn't you prefer to have a nice hook instead? ;););) (no, I'm not getting commission, haha)

They do look pretty - I'd want to hold one and see if it felt good before I bought one. My Hobby Lobby sells wood hooks that look like these - commercially made of course - I took one out of the package and it didn't feel good in my hand - but then I hold my hook like a shiv... I think it would depend on what you are crocheting. I crochet tight and fast. I have never broken or bent a hook - but then I don't use plastic either. I really love the Susan Bates bamboo handled hooks. They are my absolute favorites!

Nice thick smooth bamboo in my palm, no burs on the bottom of the hook like those icky Boyles have, and it has the aluminum top like their regular hooks. sweet.

These look so pretty - I'd consider getting one just to put it in a shadowbox and put it on the shelf. Pretty but man it looks so delicate.

I got my set for Christmas. I LOVE THEM!

I do not crochet very tightly. The wood hooks feel warm, light and comfortable. As with all things, use them with proper care and you won't have to worry about breakage.

(just don't use these with metallic threads and yarn so they don't scratch).

Archived