Problems seeing thread

crochettreasures

It must be old age creeping up on me (I'm in denial! :D ) or something but I'm wondering if anyone has some good tips for working with thread size 20 and 30 using smaller needles size 7 and above.

-dawn

I have one of those goose neck lamps that sits over my shoulder. Infact, the one I bought has 5 arms on it, so I can go from using 1 to using all 5 lamps depending on the color of the thread.Jess is correct, lots of light and several breaks. Old eyes sure make thread hard to use.:lol

Thanks for the advice. I do have one of those bright lights that you hook on to a bed head board for reading, etc. I typically don't crochet in bed - however.... :)

It does suck getting older

-Dawn

Guest Crafterlady46

I had to get real strong glasses. I wear bifocals. I also bought some of those magnifier glasses for a couple of bucks. They work for short periods of time. Good lighting is the best. I use those weird bulbs with low wattage that give a ton of light.

I have trouble seeing too, but mine is a strange problem...and it only happens when I crochet - with thread or yarn! I just got my eyes checked and new glasses with stronger bifocals, but they didn't help...After I crochet for a while, I start having real trouble focusing my eyes! Close vision is bad, but mid and distant vision are REALLY bad. Sometimes after I have been crocheting for a while, I find myself crocheting with my eyes almost closed, just looking through a little slit...that seems to make it better. When I open my eyes normally and look up at the TV or whatever, it is horrible! Also, since I work from home on the computer, going from crochet to the computer is terrible...I can hardly see they words on the screen sometimes! I do crochet with a bright light over my shoulder or with bright sunshine, so I don't think lighting is the problem. I also knit, and I can knit for hours with no problem at all! Has anyone else had this problem, and what did you do to fix it?? It is driving me crazy!!:loco

Laurie,

I had a problem focusing after a while and one Dr. I finally went to see, added prisims to my glasses. It seems that both eyes were not focusing at the same time.

That seemed to do the trick for me. Now when I have trouble seeing, I know it is time to see the eye Dr.

So maybe as a suggestion, you could ask your Dr about them. You are not strainging your eyes as much and you are able to see from your work, to the book or tv.

I also have bifocals, but the addition of the prisims really helped.:hook

I see a trip to my eye doctor in the near future. I find that I can see the threadwork better when I take my glasses off (I need them for distance) - Working in front of a computer all day doesn't help much either I'm guessing.

-Dawn

Thanks so much for the advice, Mary Jo!! I will definitely ask my doctor about prisms! It really does bug me not to be able to focus at times when I need to, so anything that will help would be wonderful!

Take care and keep safe with Dennis on the way...we will all keep you in our thoughts and prayers!

Laurie

I will definately be asking about prisms, I normally end up taking off my glasses for the really fine work as I can't focus with them on. I have bifocals but they don't do the trick. I have told my eye doctor before that it is important to me to be able to see the type of work I do. Why hasn't he mentioned prisms before I wonder. I don't think they take us seriously sometimes.

Thank you for the suggestion

Hope you all will be safe, Thinking about you all out there :rain

• 1 month later...

For close up work, like fine thread crochet, you really need bifocals or reading glasses once you have passed a "certain age". Your eyes simply cannot focus closer than a certain distance.

I work at a computer for several hours a day and need a special pair of glasses that allow me to focus at the proper distance to read the screen. These are bifocals also, since I have to be able to read printouts as well.

Also, I only work with dark threads when my glasses prescription is brand new.

I work a lot with small thread and light is the key to see for me.:lol

I do ok until I change to a dark color to make a dollie with or a varigated with dark purple or dark blue. Those dark colors I can work on during the day but at night:eek I switch to one of my dollies in a lite color.

I have crochet afaghans for years but started dollies last summer and have found a new love for crocheting:manyheart.............as long as my eyes hold out.

• 5 weeks later...

I wear bifocals and can see most everything just fine, but when I crochet for a while it seems like my eyes get tired or something, and it is harder to see the stitches. I found some clip-on magnifying lenses at one on the local craft/hobby stores and they solved my problems.

Go to www.patternworks.com and enter Magniclips in the search box. My eye doctor said that these were fine for doing close work, but if I needed them all the time, I would need to come in for an exam to get stronger glasses.

I, too, use a good light when crocheting with thread. What helps alot for me is if I'm working with white or light colors, I put a dark towel on my lap so it's behind the work and if it's dark thread a white towel. It helps my eyes to focus better. :grandma

I agree good glasses, good light and.....If you are using a dark thread put a white pillowcase in your lap. If you are using light thread put a dark green pillowcase in your lap. You will be amazed how much this helps. You can use a towel or whatever you have on hand, just remember dark threads, use the lighter pillowcase, light threads use the dark green (I have no idea why it has to be green but it works better with the dark green). And don't be afraid to wear glasses, it makes you look smarter, really :yay

• 1 month later...

For darker colors I crochet during the day when there is more light.

For much thinner threads like size 40-50 threads and I am using size 70 threads right now I use a white towel or sheet on my lap and crochet over that. This way you can see where the stitches are.

Hope this helps you cause it works for me!

Archived