Bernat soft boucle

rascalsmom

I have never used "boucle" yarn before, but I have used Homespun. I didn't have any particular problem with the Homespun but I know some people really dislike it.

I bought this Bernat "soft boucle" to make a sweater for my dog, and I am just not sure about it. It seems rather difficult to work with, and it's so hard to see where you're going!!

Anyone have any thoughts on this yarn? I don't know if I want to continue, or forget it and get something easier to work with....:think

I bought a skein of the baby boucle...and I agree! It's difficult to work with, and I could hardly see where I was going! Now I have an almost full large skein of baby boucle and no use for it. (only made a baby hat)

I've found with this particular yarn that it knits up well enough due to the individualized stitches (but yes, knitting is hard to frog out too!). For crocheting, I used an open type stitch like a v-stitch so that other than the first row you can just crochet into the big spaces.

I might suggest combining it with a strand of regular yarn to try to get a bit of both worlds. The regular yarn would make it so you could see your stitches, but you'd still get some of that extra textural oomph from the boucle.

I've found there can be huge differences in this yarn color to color or even batch to batch.

I made a sweater for my mother last year using Westport Shades and it was wonderful - easy to work, thick and soft. The sweater was gorgeous.

I bought some of the Richest Red to make a sweater for myself, couldn't find enough yarn locally and ordered some from Herrshners. It wasn't nearly as soft, thick or easy to work with as the Westport and the yarn I got from Herrshners was even worse - far thinner and scratchier than what I bought locally.

I tried again with Blue Shades and while it was better than the Red Shades and far better than the Herrshners yarn, it still wasn't as nice or as easy to work with as the Westport.

I made a shawl from the boucle using a P hook. As RoseRed mentioned, the key is using a larger hook. With a larger hook, the yarn works up fast and there wasn't any problem keeping track of where the stitches are. The shawl I did with the boucle turned out to be my favorite one because it didn't take much time to finish and came out really soft and warm. I'll definitely use the yarn again.

Well, I tried it again. This time I held a strand of size 10 crochet thread along with the boucle, hoping to have that "mark" the stitches a bit.

It still didn't work.

I give up.

Now I have almost three full skeins of this stuff. Maybe some scarves.....

Definitely can't use it for a dog's sweater, with a larger hook, or it would be TOO big.

If there is a yarn that deserves I HATE THIS YARN on the label, boucle is it! I knitted a poncho with it for my GD and will never work with it again. No more textured yarns for me!

Beverly

I'm making a scarf with it now. Nothing special, just sc. I keep counting the stitches and if I come up short I frog it and try again. I keep thinking it would make a nice, soft afghan but there's bound to be a mistake in every row and too much frogging. :thair

personally i will never make anything with it. i tried I bought enough for a queen size afghan and it was aweful to work with especially when visiting the frog pond. so i took ait all back to michaels and bought a bunch of other stuff lol!

I am making a vest with it, the sensations rainbow variety. The first round I was about to give up, I forgged it I think twice. You can't see the stitchs! But with a little patience and using double crochet instead of the single crochet, after the first row, it was all v stitches. So I am going good now, and it is so pretty to work with.

If you want to have a good laugh, I picked this yarn to make my very FIRST sweater!

I used the "Weekend Pullover" pattern from the Michaels website, which I thought would be easy enough. In those days, I had no idea how to do seed stitch in crochet, so I decided to "modify" the pattern a little by doing just sc.

:rofl:rofl:rofl

Yeah.

As you can imagine it just went from bad to worse. As someone said, you can't see the stitches -- the best you can do is feel for them and try to count, and even then I kept wildly varying row counts with each successive row. When I got finished, the back was entirely different size from the front.

The good news is that once I sewed it all together (and luckily, with this yarn, any sewing mistakes are well-hidden), it didn't look half bad. The fact that the back was longer than the front actually worked in my favor, as my butt was well covered.

I've actually received compliments on it. Also, another good point is that this yarn is extremely warm. I usually wear the pullover when it's going to be very cold out.

I don't know that I'd want to go through it again, though. Maybe now that I know seed stich it might be worth a try again, but I don't know...:think

Archived