I am making a knitted scarf

That's very nice! Cabling isn't really hard for the most part, but it still is very good that you learned how to cable in your first month. Congratulations!

Btw, there's beginner and advanced knitting forums on Crochetville, you just have to add them in your user prefs to see. :) There's a few of us knitters here. :yarn

I have been teaching myself to knit over the last month or so - but I'm scared of cables!!! All I've figured out how to do is a ribbed scarf and a ribbed hat! The hat was a real challenge because the stitches gets so small at the top. I tried double pointed needles (DPN) and FAILED misearably, so I went to knittinghelp.com and learned how to use two circular needcles. That went MUCH, MUCH better! My DS wears the hat every day. The scarf went to a charity auction and earned $10. Not bad for my first knitting project made from 99-cent yarn!

Congratulations on your knitted cable scarf, lovecrochet! Now they're not that hard, are they? — I watched my mother knit cables many years before I learned to knit so I was never scared of them. Basically you swap stitches from one needle to another, then knit. For instance: perhaps 3 stitches on the right needle are moved off and held aside while you put 3 from the left needle in their place; then the first 3 are moved onto the left needle. Knit. That's it.

oh I love to knit!!! I love to crochet too, so it is hard to decide sometimes! I do love knitting for how tight and clean it can be. I make tubular scarves in knit which are really easy. I just start with even number of stitches, then knit but put every other stitch on the right side and do no knit it, so when you go to the next row you are moving the opposite stitch and knitting the one you left behind! Makes a neat affect.

Btw, there's beginner and advanced knitting forums on Crochetville, you just have to add them in your user prefs to see. :) There's a few of us knitters here. :yarn

How do you set your user preferences for this?

Edited to add: I found it. Go into User CP, select Group Memberships and the two knitting groups are the only ones available.

Excellent! :yay I saw a how-to video on cabling and it looks doable. Easier than a hat with DPNs! I'm still working on my first scarf. :blush Crochet is calling me and it speaks louder than knitting at the moment. Besides, I ran out of yarn on the scarf and I'm not happy about introducing another dye lot. What kind of needles are you using? I'm still trying to find what I like best. One day I'll hop over to knitpicks.com and get some of theirs to try out.

What kind of needles are you using? I'm still trying to find what I like best. One day I'll hop over to knitpicks.com and get some of theirs to try out.

I know this question wasn't really directed towards me, but I just wanted to give a bit of feedback on a set of needles I own. I received a set of Nickel plated Knitpicks interchangeable knitting needles for my birthday from my husband. I think they are VERY nice! The cable is much less stiff and doesn't whap me in the face like those plastic ones that are typically on circulars. My sole minor gripe with them is that there is not a 'connector' to connect two cables together. I wanted to do that so I could temporarily spread out a piece of work to measure it properly. Otherwise, I find the needles much nicer than my Boye interchangeable needles. :manyheart

Congrats on your knitted cable scarf. It's very pretty and cables aren't hard once you learn how to do it.

I learned to knit before I learned to crochet and find knitting easier. I love knitting cables and there are many variations.

Happy knitting,

antwerpnative

I really like my KnitPics, except that sometimes the metal joint has failed by pulling away from the cord. And sometimes they are difficult to tighten properly. I do like the way the tips are nice and sharp and the needles so very smooth. Good qualities in knitting needles.

I was thinking of the harmony knitting needles from knitpicks. They look so cool! So far, just straights for me. I can't even finish one scarf, lol. I'm veeeeery sloooooow. :P

I've heard the harmonys are very nice, but they have a greater tendency to separate between the wood and the metal joining. I'd imagine that having a bottle of superglue of some sort would probably rectify the problem if a person doesn't have time to send them back to get replaced. I read a lot of information on the nickel plated and harmony sets on Ravelry before I decided on the set I wanted.

Your scarf is beautiful! Cables was one of the main reasons I learned to knit, which I learned last year and have been going strong since. Of the several items I've knitted, I always try to get in some cables. Like you, I learned to cable early after starting to knit. What I like most about knitting, I use crochet to bind off my projects, so its the best of both worlds.

I learned to knit from Knitting Made Easy by Coats & Clark DvD and after practicing for 4 hours, I was knitting & purling in no time.

I recently had the same problem as HomekeepingGran, with the metal joint pulling from the cord and had to use superglue to rejoin it. Knitpicks' needles are really great to work with and I have both the nickle plated & harmony wood circular sets and what really keeps me using them is that the cord is so pliable unlike the other circular needle cords, which are very stiff and don't bend. Here are 2 hats I did this week, the pattern is from Hip to Knit by Judith Swartz.Hip2Knit.jpg

You guys are talking about these two sets, right?

http://www.knitpicks.com/Options+Interchangeable+Harmony+Wood+Circular+Knitting+Needle+Set_ND90306.html

http://www.knitpicks.com/Options+Interchangeable+Nickel+Plated+Circular+Knitting+Needle+Set_ND90335.html

Even though they are circular, can you treat them as straights just by not connecting the round and turning your work? Thanks!

Very pretty hats!!!

You guys are talking about these two sets, right?

http://www.knitpicks.com/Options+Interchangeable+Harmony+Wood+Circular+Knitting+Needle+Set_ND90306.html

http://www.knitpicks.com/Options+Interchangeable+Nickel+Plated+Circular+Knitting+Needle+Set_ND90335.html

Even though they are circular, can you treat them as straights just by not connecting the round and turning your work? Thanks!

Very pretty hats!!!

Yup! You can treat them as straights exactly the way you asked. Also, if you really want them to be totally separate for some reason, you can put a cable and a cable stop on each needle and have individual needles. :)

Archived