Tiny Christmas Pickles -Free Pattern

wiz3283

I started making pickles last night free hand . I am making one for everyone in my local crochet group. Here is the basic pattern I came up with.

I am using some old green terry cloth type yarn I have that is about a sport weight. I think it gives them the kind of bumpy texture I am looking for. Oh and I am also using a size e hook.

th_achristmaspickle004.jpg

Tiny Christmas Pickles

Materials : sport weight yarn and e hook

Make magic loop

6 sc in loop do not join but work in rounds (6 sc)

sc in each sc until desired lengh (6 sc each round) (mine are about 1/1/4 inches long)

Stuff with fiberfill but do not overstuff.

sc decrease around (3 sc)

sc decrease around (1 sc)

Do not fasten off.

Chain desired amount of chains for loop hanger and join in first st of chain.

Fasten off and weave ends.

Enjoy!

:clap THANK YOU!!

My mom's friend had made pickles out of clay for their work Christmas party many years ago. She also attached a "story" to it. I will have to keep this in mind for next year for my son's class (I try to make different types of ornaments for them).

I will have to try and look it up on the net and see if I can find a "story" about that tradition. If not I can e-mail my mom's friend and ask her if she still has the cute little story.

A descendent of a soldier who fought in the American Civil War, John Lower (Hans Lauer?), born in Bavaria in 1842, wrote to tell about a family story that had to do with a Christmas pickle. According to family lore, John Lower was captured and sent to prison in Andersonville, Georgia. ...In poor health and starving, he begged a guard for just one pickle before he died. The guard took pity on him and found a pickle for John Lower. According to family legend, John said that the pickle by the grace of God gave him the mental and physical strength to live on. Once he was reunited with his family he began a tradition of hiding a pickle on the Christmas tree. The first person who found the pickle on Christmas morning would be blessed with a year of good fortune.

The Legend of the Pickle

Long ago in Germany, the famous pickle legend came to be, a fun game for the entire family.

No one knows who, what or why, but it's a Christmas tradition to be enjoyed, even by the most shy.

Hidden in the branches of every Christmas tree, children of all ages hunt for the pickle in green.

The younger the child the bigger the pickle is, as we grow, the pickle size gets smaller and presents big challenges.

Hunt for it, search for it, but your hands must be behind, and do not touch the tree, or you'll lose the prize in mind.

If you find that hidden gurken, you are the lucky one indeed, as there's a special present waiting for you, the winner of the green.

If you were not the lucky winner, do not shed a tear, as the search for the hidden green pickle comes once again, next year!

Merry Christmas!

wow. i have never heard of the christmas pickle. it's kind of funny, the other day at a christmas party for taekwon do, they had sandwich platters and stuff. there was a container of sliced pickles, and one boy looked at them and said "Pickles are cucumbers soaked in evil!" ROFL! It was the funniest thing I have ever heard especially since I don't so much like pickles.

Thank you so much for sharing. I got my room mate a pickle ornament last year and was surprised she did not know the story. I can't wait to make these for people for next year. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I found this ornament made of glass in a gift shop once. The story that goes with it is that it is hung on the tree on Christmas eve after the children have gone to bed. The first child who spots the pickle's hiding spot on Christmas morning gets an extra treat or gift.

Archived