Saving free patterns quickly

I found this a few weeks ago and I thought it might help for all the people I see posting about patterns they saw but forgot to save. I've been using a program called Evernote that you can download for free at http://www.evernote.com/. It let's you make "notebooks" on your computer similar to Microsoft's OneNote. The only catch is that there's a limit on how much you can save per month with the free version but it seems like more than I'll ever use. I've been using it to save patterns and then I go back and organize them when I have time.

If you're using FireFox you can also get the Clip to Evernote plugin. Once it's installed and setup you should see a little green button with an elephant on it on your browser's menu bar. All you do is select what you want to save and click that button and it'll save the clipping to your notebook. If you don't have FireFox, you can still clip notes from the web by highlighting what you want to save and pressing the windows key and A at the same time.

Is it saving them on-line for you or on your computer?

That's my problem, I'm running out of space on the computer and don't want to put them on a disk. I lose disks like crazy. They go to where all the missing socks go.

Can you PM me and let me know?

Donna

You can choose to save it online and on your computer or just on the computer but I don't think it has an option to only save it online. I think if you have it save it only to your computer it doesn't count against the monthly allowance. Sorry that's not much help in your situation. :(

I copy and paste my patterns onto a blank word document. I can eliminate the advertising that way and not have to use extra ink to print a pattern. I also name my patterns by first typing in the category and then the name like "AFGHAN round ripple." Makes it easy to find a pattern. Every now and then I "cleanup" my computer and put the patterns on a CD.

I have been emailing patterns to myself to save them. I have a gmail account just for patterns. I use to save them on my computer but I lost a lot when I lost the computer. Saving them as a bookmark isn't good because if the site goes away, so does the patterns.

Donna Marie

I :manyheart my 3G Flash Drive (also called Pen Drive) exclusively for my crochet and it is small and inexpensive. I just download whenever I get a chance and it's good to go when I need to print something off. You can buy them wherever they sell computer supplies. Even Wal-Mart has them. They start at $6 or $7 and go up.

I definitely wouldn't recommend this if it was just like either of those things. I mean it when I say it's faster and much better than bookmarking or copying it in to a word file. It's also completely free to use. I'd suggest checking out their demo video because it'll explain the functionality much better than I can:

http://www.evernote.com/about/what_is_en/tour/

If nothing else, just try it out. It's free to download. There's no advertisements in the program and I haven't been contacted by the company once in the three months I've been using it.

I copy and paste my patterns onto a blank word document. I can eliminate the advertising that way and not have to use extra ink to print a pattern. I also name my patterns by first typing in the category and then the name like "AFGHAN round ripple." Makes it easy to find a pattern. Every now and then I "cleanup" my computer and put the patterns on a CD.

That's exactly what I do. However, I have different folders on my C drive where I store the patterns, i.e, afghans, clothing, toys, etc. Sometimes I have subfolders, such as children's clothing, jackets, vests, etc. Still, I have tooooo much and end up putting them on discs, as you do. Unfortunately, so far, out-of-sight-out-of-mind so I rarely remember what I have!

That's exactly what I do. However, I have different folders on my C drive where I store the patterns, i.e, afghans, clothing, toys, etc. Sometimes I have subfolders, such as children's clothing, jackets, vests, etc. Still, I have tooooo much and end up putting them on discs, as you do. Unfortunately, so far, out-of-sight-out-of-mind so I rarely remember what I have!

That's an even better idea:clap

This is what I do, too. DH says I have used hardly any (comparatively) space. I could have so many more patterns!

Is it saving them on-line for you or on your computer?

That's my problem, I'm running out of space on the computer and don't want to put them on a disk. I lose disks like crazy. They go to where all the missing socks go.

Can you PM me and let me know?

Donna

I'd suggest an external hard-drive or a zip drive. They're huge these days, take up very little space on your desk, and let your original hard drive do the work of running programs. They've saved my life more than once!

Archived