This is what I have so far..

This is not a criticism I am trying to help you so please don't take it wrong. It looks like you don't have your corners in the right place and you need to have 4 corners and the middle stitches too or when you sew them all together they won't line up right. There are a lot of tutorial's on granny squares if you want to google them and they will show you exactly how to do it, on the other hand if your happy with the way your doing it then continue doing it that way and have fun.

Are you using a pattern, or did you make this square up yourself? If you made it up, congratulations on your creativity! It is not easy to make up a square. I like your color combinations so far.

What overall look are you going for? A freeform approach where each square is a little different or a more typical afghan where all the squares are shaped the same way? For freeform all you really need to worry about is whether the piece will lie flat.

For a traditional looking afghan.....Basically I think you need to add more symmetry to the squares. The orange one is uneven around the outer edge and if you join a bunch of squares shaped like that, your afghan will appear lumpy. The pink one looks much better than the orange one to me. If you want a typical granny square look where each square is symmetrical in all 4 quarters, then you need to even up the center. The corners need to be pretty pronounced in order to lay right when joined.

I agree with what Carol said...looking at some patterns might help you with ideas for the traditional granny look.

The orange one actually unraveled! I bought a patternbook that shows how to make the traditional granny. I'm gonna keep practicing.

Thanks for your honesty ladies, I am here to learn and get better at this craft and will take any advice and suggestions!

I'm so happy to hear that you aren't offended by our honesty but that is the only way to learn. I wish there was the internet to help me when I learned.

http://crochet-mania.blogspot.com/2008/01/chain-4-join.html

You hang in there and I can't wait to see your progress :)

I forgot to say please watch the above tutorial it will show you exactly how to make a granny square.

Don't give up ------- keep practicing and remember to count stitches. I've been crocheting for 20+ years and still can't do everything right. I also suggest checking out the tutorials on the web. Scrap yarn is perfect for learning and experimenting. I hope to see other posts from you and what you're doing.

I'm so happy to hear that you aren't offended by our honesty but that is the only way to learn. I wish there was the internet to help me when I learned.

http://crochet-mania.blogspot.com/2008/01/chain-4-join.html

You hang in there and I can't wait to see your progress :)

I forgot to say please watch the above tutorial it will show you exactly how to make a granny square.

Wow how did I not find that?! I go to that blog all the time and even learned the magic potholder and gave it as gifts on halloween ( it was also my friends coming out party)

I might be wrong here but I'm almost certain I saw UK on your location before and if so then be aware of the different terminology for UK/US crochet stitches. If you've been taught by someone who uses UK terms and you use US patterns odds are you'll do the wrong stitch ;) There's no need to ask how I know this *coughcough*

good luck with the rest of your squares & happy hooking :D

I might be wrong here but I'm almost certain I saw UK on your location before and if so then be aware of the different terminology for UK/US crochet stitches. If you've been taught by someone who uses UK terms and you use US patterns odds are you'll do the wrong stitch ;) There's no need to ask how I know this *coughcough*

good luck with the rest of your squares & happy hooking :D

Actually, I don't have anyone teaching me .. I'm teaching myself how to crochet. I'm located in the USA lol.. I used a pattern for the squares shown, which did not have pictures and there are some parts of the pattern I didn't understand. But then again I'm still figuring out how to read patterns lol

The colors are pretty...the corners do need some improvement...but...for a first time...they look great !!! Thanks for sharing !!!

By the way...you are doing it right by joining as you go...I HATE joining all those motifs !!! And I hope we get to see some pictures when you finish your project...make it some thing small for it being the first time out on the squares.

Archived