I had no idea....

froggie

I had no idea that this subforum existed!! But I'm so glad it's here, because I love the 'Ville.

Just started knitting again after many years. Taught myself how to crochet about 10 months ago. I'm a lefty and I knit and crochet left-handed.

I guess I do the throwover knitting style, but want to learn continental.

I'm 9 rows into a sleeve for "Hey Teach", a free pattern I found on Knitty.com. It took me a week to get this far and figure out/learn what I needed in order to make this cute little cardi, but I love a challenge. I'm using Caron SS in dark sage green (my 30-cent/skein thrift store find). I need to speed up on it though, because I want to get comfortable enough to make one for my DD for Christmas.

Anyway, glad to have found this little spot!!

Froggie (aka Jana in Denton, TX)

Me three! It's way cute, and way beyond my knitting skills. :lol Patty

Well, it may be way beyond my knitting skills as well. :(

However, I refuse to give up on it. So by the time I am done, I should be an expert on "Hey Teach" and be able to coach anybody through it...

First I struggled with the lace chart and my stitch counts. Finally figured out what I was doing wrong after much frogging back.

And as for frogging, it's just plain harder in knitting. I have frogged my little piece of sleeve all the way back too many times to count. But, I have discovered "lifelines", so now I don't have to go all the way back to the beginning anymore.:yes

I have kind of gotten myself lost at this point, so I'm fixing to go back to it and figure that out.

I will make this sweater. It's too cute not to make. And by the time I'm done, I will have learned an awful lot more about knitting than I knew when I dove into this.

Hello and welcome. You know, knitting is a two handed operation. Whether you knit throwing with your right hand or continental it is still a two handed operation. I know a lot of crocheters with right hand throw to knit. As long as you are forming your stitches correctly - it just doesn't matter. Good luck with your sweater.

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't realize it existed for a long time either. Glad you found it. :) That's a cute pattern you are making.

I'm a lefty crocheter, but I knit right-handed.

Although I'm right handed and haven't given this a lot of thought, it seems to me that knitting pretty much favors both hands equally. I can just as easily knit "English" (yarn in right hand, throw the yarn over) as "Continental" (yarn in left hand, scoop the yarn). The only variable that remains the same is that I hold the needle with the stitches in my left hand and the working needle in my right hand.

Just curious, then, how do you knit left-handed? Do you actually reverse the whole thing and hold the needles in opposite hands? Try as I might, I just can't picture how that would work.

The only variable that remains the same is that I hold the needle with the stitches in my left hand and the working needle in my right hand.

Just curious, then, how do you knit left-handed? Do you actually reverse the whole thing and hold the needles in opposite hands? Try as I might, I just can't picture how that would work.

Yes, that is what I understand left-handed knitting to be, having the stitches to be worked on your right needle instead of the left one.

Yes, that is what I understand left-handed knitting to be, having the stitches to be worked on your right needle instead of the left one.

Yep! I have my yarn in my left hand, and work a new row from the right needle. And I throw vs scoop, so I am not doing continental. I'm just doing what my little knitting book showed me to do to knit left handed. I have not tried continental yet...

Jana

Don't forget to keep a crochet hook handy in case you happen to drop a stitch. It is great for picking up the stitch and working it up to the point where you dropped it.

I love the pattern you are doing. Just remember to take a deep breath once in a while.

I do both and I learned knitting first. There are certain things Crochet is great for and some things Knitting is great for.

I was so glad when they added this section.:hook

• 4 weeks later...

I just found this sub forum today! :knit I was at knittinghelp.com and I learned to knit and purl about a month ago through their videos and some on YouTube. So far I've made a hat (flat then seamed) and a scarf. Moving on next to a dish cloth but I'd like to get some crochet projects finished before Christmas. :crocheting Now I'll have twice as many WIPs laying around the house!! :devil Also, twice as many free patterns saved to my computer. :compute

Archived