can anyone copy this for me?

yankeeblue

Question

the thread title should read "recreate" not copy!!

I have this panel of an afghan that I cannot complete because the original pattern is lost. I have searched and searched and even asked on this forum if anyone knows this pattern or has seen it before...nothing has turned up so far.

I am wondering if it is possible to copy and write down this pattern by just looking at it??? I do not know enought to do this, but I am wondering if anyone here could look at it and possibly tell me how to recreate this pattern so I can finish the afghan??

I love it so much, but I am unable to finish it without some help!

it looks like the pattern is just 8 rows long, then repeats itself.

Thank you all!

panelcrochet002.jpg

12 answers to this question

looka likw 2 rows of DC and then the 3r's row has 3'dcs and then skip one stitch, 4 dc's with the loop drawn thru 5 loops for a puff stitch then 2 ch and another 4 dc puff in the next st. then skip a stitch and DC till you get to the filet diamond.

i dunno if that made sense :/

The entire diamond sections appear to be all dc. Wherever there is a space, in effect, creating the diamond pattern, it's just a skipped stitch in order to leave a little see through opening. The skipped sts are placed differently on each row in order to make the diamond shape.

When you skip a st, just do ch 1, sk a st, dc in next st.

I agree that it is just dc and probably a puff stitch pattern.

On the puff stitch...in order to make it look like a braid, do you think it is stitched in the same space with 1 ch between them, or do you think they are in two seperate spaces?

What about the center of the diamond? do you see the puff stitch there? it looks like it maybe drops down to the row beneath it..??? can't really tell, but it looks to wrap around instead of being in a stitch...

also, looks like maybe chain 42 for the foundation??

Its funny, because I still have all the yarn for this afghan in a bag, but the pattern just isn't with it. I have searched high and low. I think maybe it was in a magazine that got accidently thrown away.

I think the pattern is very eye appealing, plus it doesn't look that hard, and I tend to get bored with making huge afghans. Making panels makes the project move along so much easier and gives that sense of accomplishment.

Thank you for your replies. I hope someone can help me to get this right!

who knows, maybe someone will recognise it from a magazine! (I started this in the 80s, so maybe not...LOL):hook

This is a diamonds and popcorn pattern. I believe the braid part is made by 2 popcorns out of the same dc stitch that would be done between the popcorns. Is this something you need soon or would you give me some time to check out my theory? I am willing to give it a try, but will need a little time on the double popcorn part to figure out their pattern. You can PM me if you like and we can discuss it a little more. :)

I believe this pattern was in a magazine & the strips are actually braided strands of yarn. I noticed it when I was cleaning out my patterns last year - if you're completely stuck, PM me and I will check with the person I gave my patterns to (she just moved) it might take a while to get back toyou, but I can try. I think the pattern I saw was done in off-white, and I think the mag. was from the late 70's early 80's.

Good luck tracking it down!

Fran

okay so i did a whole lot of searching and just like you i came up with nothing...so i sat here and studied your pic...and this is what i came up with... hopefully this helps... im not sure that its exact but you could simply count the stitches and adjust it accordingly. good luck!

Photo-0004.jpg

im not sure if you can read my hand writing so here is what it says on the side.

2 rows DC at the bottom

follow the "pattern" for 9 rows using this guide:

V (where its pink): do 2 puff stitches in the same stitch

[] (the black boxes): your going to skip the stitch by chaining 1

l : do 1 DC in each stitch

then its:

2 rows DC at the top

then do it all over again!

23 stitches across and 13 rows up

like i said...you can adjust it by counting what you already have and adjusting it...

i hope this helped!

okay so i did a whole lot of searching and just like you i came up with nothing...so i sat here and studied your pic...and this is what i came up with... hopefully this helps... im not sure that its exact but you could simply count the stitches and adjust it accordingly. good luck!

Photo-0004.jpg

im not sure if you can read my hand writing so here is what it says on the side.

2 rows DC at the bottom

follow the "pattern" for 9 rows using this guide:

V (where its pink): do 2 puff stitches in the same stitch

[] (the black boxes): your going to skip the stitch by chaining 1

l : do 1 DC in each stitch

then its:

2 rows DC at the top

then do it all over again!

23 stitches across and 13 rows up

like i said...you can adjust it by counting what you already have and adjusting it...

i hope this helped!

wow! thank you so much for your time and effort. I understand your graph...the only part that is different to me, is the center of the diamond..I don't think it is just a regular puff...it looks to go longer than the others...

I really appreciate your help!! I am going to try to work this out and see if it is the correct way. I will let you know...:manyheart:hug

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!

If you can get your hands on the Leisure Arts Book, A Year Of Afghans Book 13, I think that will answer your questions.

The February afghan is what you want. The only difference is that instead of a diamond, the open-work pattern in the center is a heart. That is not puff stitches used in the center or on the sides. They are front-post double crochets.

You can find directions for making front-post stitches on the net and work from there.

Archived