Air travel ?

When I went over new years last year, i brought childs scissors that had rounded tips. The airline's website will tell you what you cannot take on the plane with you.

Check the website, especially TSA's. Be prepared though for TSA to tell you no even if it is ok on the list on thier own website. I can tell you that at Norfolk VA their TSA will confiscate metal crochet hooks if they see them, they only allow plastic crochet hooks through. I was told that by a TSA Security Officer when we were leaving VA to come home in May. I made it through with my metal hooks though.

I took kids safety scissors and new fingernail clippers figuring if one got taken I had the other to use.

I take a tooth floss dispenser with me - the metal bit which cuts the floss also cuts straight through thread / yarn too :bounce.

The last time I flew to the US I also made sure I only took plastic hooks on board and checked with security before I got on that they were ok, which they were. The crochetlite hooks advertise that they are airline friendly. I had a self addressed envelope with me in case they said that they were not ok so I could mail them back to myself instead of hem confiscating my beloved hooks :hook

I used fingernail clippers, (I have them in my purse anyway, and they've come in handy for other on-the-go projects) when I flew from MI to CA in August.

Here's the TSA website: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#4

It claims scissors with up to 4" blades... but I'd stick with school/kids scissors or something you're not afraid to lose...you hear so often how different security guards seem to interpret the rules differently. (Some have said you should print the part of the regulations that pertain to what you are bringing in case a security guard questions an item)

OTOH I had no trouble, even with a thread hook (1.75mm steel) tucked in my purse! at LAX even :D

HTH

I use very small scissors with a blade that is less than four inches long. I also have travelled with my metal hooks and have not had any trouble, even when I flew in and out of Canada last year. That being said, don't take anything that you would be really upset about if you lost. TSA has no concept of consistency, and it may just come down to who screens your bag and what time of year you are flying. But, the last three times I have flown, I haven't had any problems.

I fly all the time for work only with carry-on bags and thought I had it down to a science until I ran into the wrong airport.

No matter what the airline website says, it's up to the folks at security to determine what they'll let through and what they won't. I had nail clippers and folding scissors with a half inch cutting surface taken away from me even though I'd already flown with them through two other airport security stations. Just be prepared to use your teeth...oh, and it was suggested that I put my hook and child's scissors in a plastic baggie if I was doing the carry-on thing, and take them out of the bag before you send them through the scanner.

Good luck!

I fly all the time for work only with carry-on bags and thought I had it down to a science until I ran into the wrong airport.

No matter what the airline website says, it's up to the folks at security to determine what they'll let through and what they won't. I had nail clippers and folding scissors with a half inch cutting surface taken away from me even though I'd already flown with them through two other airport security stations. Just be prepared to use your teeth...oh, and it was suggested that I put my hook and child's scissors in a plastic baggie if I was doing the carry-on thing, and take them out of the bag before you send them through the scanner.

Good luck!

Just remember to have a back up hook in your checked luggage, in case your other hook gets taken away.

And don't bring your most valued hook either. If you have a special hook, that can't be replaced, leave that at home.

Even though that project is beautiful, I would probably find a one color smaller project to work on the flight. Maybe put that one in the checked luggage too. Maybe making a simple hat or scarf would be a good traveling project. This way, not so many color changes and cuts needed.

Rounded kids scissors and a hook (metal) is what I traveled with in July, and I had no problem.

It really depends on the airport and the individual screeners. Remember, they are not trying to be mean, they are just trying to keep people safe. After 9/11, I do like the tighter security.

:manyheart

We just flew to Vegas a couple of weeks ago and I carried on my whole crochet bag which contained all of my hooks, at least 3 pairs of sewing scissors and my tapestry needles. They didn't have any problem what-so-ever with any of it. Now the bottled water I had stashed in my bag, they confiscated, lol

I just flew from North Carolina to Nevada two weeks ago. I took fiskars children's round-nose scissors (which are actually sharp and cut well) and a yarn project, and there was no problem. If you are flying with the tiny steel hooks and thread though, you may have problems with the steel hooks. I haven't tried too get those through.

Archived