Shawl/Poncho - thread??

3doxies

Can you make a shawl or poncho out of thread? Maybe along with another type of cotton? I want something that I can wear in warmer weather, so I don't want to use worsted weight. Any ideas? Also, what kind of things can be made with a cotton/acrylic blend? LCS has some on clearance. Thanks girls:)

I am reallllly into cotton right now. It's great for shawls and ponchos. I'm making a shawl out of Paton's Grace at the moment, and I think it's going to be just right for summer. Cotton acrylic also is perfect for baby stuff, since it can be washed and dried in the machine.

I'm planning on making some thread shawls. :c9 Like Katchkan says, they'll just take a little longer to make since it will take a lot more stitches to get to the size you need, but there's no good reason why you can't! I'm near completion on a laceweight shawl, which is a wool/silk blend yarn that's only slightly thicker than thread. I like my shawls long, so far I've used 1200 yards of the laceweight and will probably use another 200 before it's done.

For me, shawls and other clothing objects (despite the extra time it takes to make them) are a more practical use of thread than doilies, although I do :manyheart doilies, I just have no place to display them.

Someone has done a poncho and posted it on the forum, called Beauty in Bloom I think. It was done entirely in thread and I am planning to do it for my niece and have done others also. I think thread works up so beautifully for ponchos.

I'm currently making a shawl from the pattern Spring has Sprung using size 10 cotton thread for a private swap. I've always used cotton thread as this is readily available here in Manila and also I sell them. :D Here's a sneak preview:

springhassprungshawl.jpg

I've also made the Beauty in Bloom poncho and posted it a few months back. :D

:hook

Oh my, that looks really pretty, Jackie! :cheer Tell me, do you use any special tools or contraptions to hold your thread while you're working on it? I've been trying to come up with something that would be easy to use, would keep my thread clean, and would keep it from rolling all over the place. Plus I need at least one "portable" arrangement as well, so I can take it to work and other places with me. I had to learn the hard way that thread can't be successfully rolled into a center-pull ball, lol! I've got a LOT of WIMs on my list that use thread - as well as the thread to set them in motion, but I'm still trying to figure out the easiest way to work with it. I figure if anybody's got some good ideas, you would, since you work with it all the time! :clap:clap:clap

TIA :hook

Right now, I'm working on a poncho that is in white #10 cotton thread. It has pineapples all through it with seed beads. It may not be white when I get done with it, but it will be heavy with the weight of all those beads.

Oh my, that looks really pretty, Jackie! :cheer Tell me, do you use any special tools or contraptions to hold your thread while you're working on it? I've been trying to come up with something that would be easy to use, would keep my thread clean, and would keep it from rolling all over the place. Plus I need at least one "portable" arrangement as well, so I can take it to work and other places with me. I had to learn the hard way that thread can't be successfully rolled into a center-pull ball, lol! I've got a LOT of WIMs on my list that use thread - as well as the thread to set them in motion, but I'm still trying to figure out the easiest way to work with it. I figure if anybody's got some good ideas, you would, since you work with it all the time! :clap:clap:clap

Just jumping in to throw in a few cents... I got a wooden paper towel holder, there is a dowel through the middle and knobs that screw onto the end to hold it in place. It would fit 3 balls of thread but I've found it's easier to just put 2. They still catch a little as they pull, but it's a definite improvement over the ball bouncing all over loose. I got the idea from Mary Jo... :D

I have just finished a poncho & hat for a Grandaughter, in cream cotton. It is quite thick and soft, not a fine cotton which might be used for doilies.

I trimmed the edge of the hat & the poncho with a feathers type yarn in a sightly darker colour. It was just two rectangles, in one row DCs and one row filet, 1DC, 1CH, which I stitched together to form a poncho shape. Very simple & very effective.

She went to stay with a friend last night and proudly went off in her new poncho.:cheer :cheer :cheer

The hat is an original idea I used to make 30 years ago or more.

It is a beret shape made in DCs but has a layer of 5CH loops which pull up over the top and makes it look like a diamond arran stitch.

If I can write it down, I will eventually post it here but I would like to work out how to put a photo with it.

Colleen.:hook

I put my ball of thread in a box preferably one that is big enough to hold the project I'm working on when I have to put it away. I use carton boxes with lid (papier mache) and punch a hole through the middle of the lid. I slip the end of the thread through it so my ball of thread stays inside while I crochet. You're right about thread not being a center pull....:) I'm sure you can use other boxes as long as your project will fit in it and it's not too thick to punch a hole on the lid. :D My best friend who exports papier mache boxes gives me her overruns so I got plenty for my projects. :hook

Right now, I'm working on a poncho that is in white #10 cotton thread. It has pineapples all through it with seed beads. It may not be white when I get done with it, but it will be heavy with the weight of all those beads.

Wow, Kristina! :clap Would love to see your poncho once you're done with it. I love crocheting with beads. :hook

I highly recommend a nice drapey rayon boucle yarn. I make lots of shawls out of this yarn and it is my yarn of choice for the Jessica Simpson shawl. It it lightweight enough to be worn all year long. I can send you a pic if you like, or look on my block in the gallery.

Wow, Kristina! :clap Would love to see your poncho once you're done with it. I love crocheting with beads. :hook

Thanks Jackie! I'll post it when I finally get done. It feels like it has about 101 rows to it. LOL. It's part of a pattern book I'm making. It's white with fuchsia seed beads, and trimmed with novelty thread. I won't be able to post the pattern, but I'll post a pic.

• 1 month later...
I'm currently making a shawl from the pattern Spring has Sprung using size 10 cotton thread for a private swap. I've always used cotton thread as this is readily available here in Manila and also I sell them. :D Here's a sneak preview:

springhassprungshawl.jpg

I've also made the Beauty in Bloom poncho and posted it a few months back. :D

:hook

I will be e-mailing you about the thread

Archived