Crochet shops?

Has anyone noticed that most shops cater to knitting? I've been exploring area shops and (I'm not referring to Hobby Lobby types, but the small, privately owned little shops) it seems that the people sitting around for classes, etc are always knitting. There are tons of knitting needles and gadgets,the walls are covered with them, but only a very small selection of crochet hooks, etc.

I went into one a few days ago looking for yarn and they had beautiful yarn. Showed her my pattern and she goes, oh, that is crochet.

It would be nice to find a small shop that's focus, lessons, and gatherings, products, etc., are geared for crochet.

Yes, that is how it is at the LYS here where I live. Once you say that you crochet, they stick their noses in the air. One day I would love to own a small yarn store that caters to crocheting. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against knitters, my DH knits. I just think a yarn store should cater to any craft that uses yarn.

Volunteer your time as an instructor for her! Convince her why the crochet market is just as lucrative as the knitting-market (for one, it uses 3x as much yarn for similarly sized knitted objects!)

Most of the Local Yarn Shops (LYS) in this area have a sticker on the door that says, "Crochet Friendly Yarn Shop." Those that don't just need to be educated on the market.

Offer the owner your time to teach beginner crochet classes, or even basic crochet so that knitters can trim their created objects in crochet (a technique used in a lot of knitted baby items).

The #1 business mantra that really works is "Find a Need and FILL IT!" Seems like you've identified a problem that you are uniquely qualified to solve!

Good Luck & Have Fun!

I'm fortunate where I live, the local yarn store is crochet friendly, though they do talk up their knitting classes. They even have a local legend in crochet who hangs out at the shop and events geared to crocheters.

Joyce

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against knitters, my DH knits. I just think a yarn store should cater to any craft that uses yarn.

Well, you have to consider the business market. No business owner is going to cater to a market they consider small or non-willing to support their shops.

One thing I've noticed is that crocheters are far more economical than knitters in the TYPES of yarn they are willing to spend money for. LYS's cannot compete with Joann's, Michaels, AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, etc when it comes to affordable yarn. They make their money on Noro, Colinette, Blue Moon, Brown Sheep, and various other higher-end multi-fiber yarns. Knitters tend to be more receptive to those types of yarns because they don't have to buy as MUCH as a crocheter would to complete the same sized project.

And ALL LYS's are feeling the pinch right now because of our ability to get just about anything we want, from affordable to dreamily-expensive ONLINE! If you order enough of anything online, you generally don't have to pay shipping, and once you eliminate that expense, your local yarn shop that you have to DRIVE to becomes less appealing because they most likely are not going to have the selection, inventory volume, and variety that an online store has.

So they have to make their money by offering classes, workshops, and other events (Stitch & Bitch, or Knit & Sip Nights) that draw people to the store and hopefully entice them to spend money there.

But most owners are willing to hear about and open up to a new or different market as long as you can show the market is THERE! If a store is snobby or unreceptive to crocheters, gather up all your friends who crochet and march down there and ask when they can get on the owner's schedule for Intermediate classes, or crochet-a-longs, and then ensure each person spends at least $30 that day to show you're serious about the support. The owner will support you if you support him/her.

This topic has been discussed a lot here--I'm sure you'll get lots of replies:compute

The LYS I usually go to, Hillcreek Yarn Shoppe in Columbia MO, is an hour drive for me, so the distance and my budget keep me from going there TOO often ;) They have a good selection of crochet hooks, books and pamphlets, and I noticed yesterday they have started carrying Cebelia thread in some nice colors. Also have some buttons, shawl pins, purse handles, and notions...browsing is a lot of fun! I took my linen bag I just finished to show the owner, and she was very enthusiastic about it, asked a couple of questions. Several more people came in as we were talking about it, and she turned her attention to them, and it really struck me what hard work it is to be so attentive to every customer who comes in. I really love going there and appreciate the fact that the owner appreciates crochet!

I've noticed that too! And they usually have "knit, knitting, or needles" worded into their store name even.

The LYS I go to has the "Crochet Friendly" sticker & they actually are - but knitting is what they teach.

Ah well, us crocheters are much more yarn-savvy than yarn-snobby and we go where the deals are. (I do anyways!)

I went into one a few days ago looking for yarn and they had beautiful yarn. Showed her my pattern and she goes, oh, that is crochet.

I'm just curious, what was the rest of the conversation? Did the salesperson go on to help you find some yarn for your project?

We have one LYS in our area that is crochet-friendly. They carry a good variety of hooks, and they even have a few classes. I would love to sometime volunteer to teach a class (something more ambitious than their usual "learn to crochet a coin purse" class), but I'm not sure what would be the criteria for being a crochet instructor. I think it would be really fun to have a crochet class teaching people how to make a wearable of some kind--like they do with all the knitting classes.

I know what you mean about certain stores turning up their noses the minute you say "crochet." I confess I've lied at times. One time, I was in a store looking for some DK yarn for a crocheted summer top. The saleswoman asked me what size "needle" I was using. I told her a Size 5 (even though it was really a Size F crochet hook). Silly, I know, but I really wasn't in the mood that day to deal with any attitude.

I was looking for ribbon yarn and she did show me where it was and mentioned they had some in the sales bin also. She just wasn't into crochet.

I also was interested in hooks. All this particular shop had were TWO hooks. I am serious. TWO HOOKS. An I and J. Tons of knitting stuff though. Knitting books galore.

I was also in a nice little yarn shop about an hours drive from here last week. Beautiful yarn, lots of knitting needles and supplies lining the walls. A group of women sitting together knitting.

This shop is suppose to be THE one to visit in my proximity. Women drive from miles around to go there. I had never been there before and was sure I would see more crochet related things. The shop was beautiful and everyone very friendly. Not one crochet pattern, or book. Maybe half a dozen crochet hooks.

I have nothing against knitting either. I would like to learn someday. Just doesn't seem like crocheters and their needs are given equal space as far as hooks, supplies other than yarn, classes or gatherings.

Yeah, I can relate to being surprised :think to not see more crochet things in a YARN shop. It sounds like the salesperson did not go out of her way to really assist you. Makes no sense to me that a store would ever want to make any customer feel that the store is not interested in their business.

I was in a store one time where, when I said I crocheted, the owner told me "you should knit, it's so much nicer", and I just laughed at her and said, "well, i sure don't agree with that!". In fact I did learn to knit, and I bought yarn for a sweater, but I did so at the store where I can also talk crochet with the staff, and I feel fortunate to be able to do so.

There is a section here under Shopping Strip for "favorite yarn shops"; maybe if you search there you can find a store near you that is crochet-friendly.

Actually there is a sticky thread at the top of that section, which I overlooked, about crochet-friendly LYS. I need to ask Amy to add Hillcreek!

Volunteer your time as an instructor for her! Convince her why the crochet market is just as lucrative as the knitting-market (for one, it uses 3x as much yarn for similarly sized knitted objects!)

I tried that last summer. I went in and bought some yarn. When the owner asked me what it was for I told her it was for a very special baby outift that I was crocheting. She looked at me and said why would you want to use "THAT" yarn for crocheting, it is for knitting. I said well it is very pretty and it the weight and color the pattern calls for. I asked her if she crocheted and she just tipped her nose up and said of course not. I asked if they ever had anyone come in and ask about crochet and she said, we tell them all to go to Michael's. I then did volunteer to teach for her at no cost to them and she said no. I left my card just incase someone asked. Just on a whim, I had a friend go in 2 days later and ask about crochet lessons. The owner said I have no clue where to go for them, why not learn to knit. Heck my DH even quit going to the store because the owner thinks she is God's gift to knitting and wouldn't help him on a sweater. Come to find out she was mad, because he was a more advanced and better knitter than she was. am sure not all LYS are like that, but the 2 here in our area are terrible.

What a horrible story! What in the world are these people thinking! How can they stay in business with an attitude like that? If they alienate the knitters as well? My gosh, you deserve a medal for being so assertive:tup

One thing I've noticed is that crocheters are far more economical than knitters in the TYPES of yarn they are willing to spend money for. LYS's cannot compete with Joann's, Michaels, AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, etc when it comes to affordable yarn. They make their money on Noro, Colinette, Blue Moon, Brown Sheep, and various other higher-end multi-fiber yarns. Knitters tend to be more receptive to those types of yarns because they don't have to buy as MUCH as a crocheter would to complete the same sized project.

i disagree that we crocheters are not willing to spend the money for the yarn what we need to complete a project, what is important to me is how good the project turns out and if i need to spend the money to make something special for someone then i save up for it and get it, the yarn store here that i go to yorkshire yarns is very crochet friendly, in fact they welcome people who do both, i feel very much at ease in her shop. i'm sorry that people treat you like that:hug:hug:hug:hug

Some shops are just snooty and that's it. There's one in my town that I won't go into because of their attitude.

I had gone in there once, just to see what they had and I only bought a small skein of gray yarn because that's what I needed at the time.

Then the next time, there was a sidewalk sale and they had some nice afghan hooks on sale. So I bring them into the store and the girl slammed them down onto the counter after she rang them up.

Just her attitude has kept me out of the store and shopping on-line or at Hobby Lobby. I just don't deal with people who are rude to their customers. And my HL has tons of yarn for both knitting and crochet.

:manyheart

I have worked in retail many many years, and that type of thing is everywhere, like, PC vs. Mac computers, or Dell vs. Gateway, Chevy vs. Ford. I also see it in the customers, like "why would you even want to sell _____???" Being on both ends (the customer and the sales person) I know it can go either way and try to grin and bear it. I did get a little flack when I asked about crochet in a LYS, but I had my afghan with me and showed her what I needed, and she calmed down and was helpful after that (even said what a nice job I was doing). All you can do is be nice to them either way, and if they still don't respond in a professional manner, then don't shop there anymore.

Then the next time, there was a sidewalk sale and they had some nice afghan hooks on sale. So I bring them into the store and the girl slammed them down onto the counter after she rang them up.

:manyheart

Could she perhaps have been jealous because she still can't figure out how to Tunisian Crochet? I know I'd be jealous, too (although I wouldn't be rude). :lol

I seriously don't know how some people continue to be in business.

We have a LYS around here where they're even rude to the knitters. One acquaintance of mine was having trouble with a sweater and needed assistance on a particular stitch. She went in to ask them about it, and they told her she'd have to take a CLASS ($$$). For one lousy stitch...something they probably could have shown her how to do in a few minutes. Instead, she ended up going to our local Senior Center knitting circle, where they were more than happy to show her how to do the stitch.

...I asked her if she crocheted and she just tipped her nose up and said of course not. I asked if they ever had anyone come in and ask about crochet and she said, we tell them all to go to Michael's. I then did volunteer to teach for her at no cost to them and she said no. ... am sure not all LYS are like that, but the 2 here in our area are terrible.

Well it just sounds like you ran into a woman who was not very business savvy and not very polite. People like that are not going to have their minds changed.

I too know some LYS owners like that, and they manage to survive in spite of themselves it seems. Oh well. This economy is coming for us all, and if they can survive being rude to potential customers, then they will survive.

I know a woman who opened her OWN yarn shop because the ones in her area were just so nasty and cliquish (and she was a knitter)! Some LYS's treat their customer base as their own little social network instead of treating it like a business.

What I'm speaking of are business market generalities. Every store and every owner is going to be unique and different in their receptivity to crochet. Nothing beats a failure but a try.

...i disagree that we crocheters are not willing to spend the money for the yarn what we need to complete a project, what is important to me is how good the project turns out and if i need to spend the money to make something special for someone then i save up for it and get it,

I'm speaking in generalities. I started crocheting/knitting as a 10 year old X# of years ago, and my yarn store was the back of my mother's closet. LOL!!!

I didn't think about crochet or knitting again until a year and a half ago, almost 2 decades later. The bead shop I was teaching at was located near a very wonderful little Yarn Shop, so I started going in there. The owner offered to "help me remember" how to knit, and I was off to the races! :lol

But until I started crocheting again (it just goes faster for me), I didn't even THINK about "cheap(er) yarns." It was mainly because I was comparing the amount of yarn I would need, and realized that using high-end yarns wasn't really:

1. Necessary

2. Fiscally Responsible

So I started seeing what Joanne's, Michaels, etc had to offer in yarn, and it just made more sense for my crochet'd projects.

Now maybe it's just my corner of the world where I observe this, but I don't see many of my knitting friends buying Lion Brand, Red Heart, Patons, or Caron, in the same quantities they buy the higher-end yarns. They are mostly making socks and wearable garments, and using sock yarn (not found in many franchise stores), wool, silk, soy, bamboo, alpaca, mohair, merino, mercerized cotton, etc.

There are rules, exceptions, and exceptions to the rules. I'm just sharing what I've observed as a "general rule." Your experiences, individually and collectively, may be different.

I've also talked to a couple of Yarn Shop owners. They cater to knitters because knitters support them in larger numbers than crocheters. Now I don't know what came first, the chicken or the egg, meaning whether crochet support is smaller because owners ignore them, or owners ignore them because the crochet market is smaller. Either way, it sounds like you ladies aren't getting the support you want. So someone has to reach out first. An economic recession can be a perfect time to bend a store owner's ear.

All you can do is be nice to them either way, and if they still don't respond in a professional manner, then don't shop there anymore.

Amen! Vote with your feet and your wallet!

I seriously don't know how some people continue to be in business...We have a LYS around here where they're even rude to the knitters.

Stores like the one you describe are usually on hard financial times and haven't figured out how important it is to invest in the good will of their customers.

There are a few in this area that just amaze me that they're still open.

I have been pretty lucky when stopping in yarn shops. They are generally pleasant even though they aren't too knowledgeable about crochet. If they were rude, they would lose my business fast.

Archived