How do you use your afghans?

I have afghan I have made for other people and they use them for sofa decoration and then I have blanket I was made in a swap and it is the fight of the house even when my mother comes to visit it is the only blanket she will sleep with then I have another one that is beautiful to look and I can't bring myself to dirty it. and the other blanket my youngest claims. we live in a cold climate and even with the AC on in the summer you will find my kids on the floor or the sofa covered with afghan

I have 3 in my house - all gifts to my children at Christmas last year. They prefer to sleep with them instead of regular blankets since they tell me they're so warm. I made them as large afghans so they take up most of the bed.

All of the rest seem to find homes with others - Christmas, birthdays, baby showers - something always comes up!

Ours are used year round. We have to watch the temp inside due to dh's severe asthma so there are days the girls & I get a bit cool. Plus Melodie loves hiding under them & covering her stuffed animals, plus they are quick & easy to toss on the floor for naps or the baby to play.

great... everyone has so many uses for it...

my office is extremely cold because we are situated next to a room which runs very expensive equipment so that ambient temperature has to be very low... maybe i should make one afghan to be used in the office.....do you think it'll be weird??

athena

If you take an afghan to work, you might have to lock it up so it won't be "borrowed" :lol. You might have to start making them for co-workers.

I have a 5 ft. (+/-) square afghan hangs on the back my rocking chair. I use it as a lap-ghan if it gets chilly

Ellie 13

I have one on the back of the sofa, the love-seat and the chair in the living room, and have been known to put them on ottomans as well. The cats like it when there is an afghan on the ottoman. Each cat has their own afghan that is in a favorite sleeping place, and I have one that goes with my papasan chair.

My thinking has always been that so long as there is the back of a piece of furniture, it can be improved as an afghan. Currently I am working on one for the back of my husband's office chair.

• 1 year later...

Oh well, let's see...

Frigid upper mid-west winters + drafty old house = plenty of ghan time!

My afghans are pretty much a second skin some days....Definitely as a bed-topping; a couch-potato warmer; a comfy book-nook snuggle; a tv-watching comfort...And draped over two chairs? -a 'ghrand' castle for one 3-yr old *princess :mdust...

*my granddaughter

About 25 years ago, I made a basic ripple in shades of brown and orange for my mother for a Christmas present. Nothing really fancy--but she loves it to this day! She snuggles with it in the recliner, takes it on trips in the car, and it gets drug around by the grandchildren and great-grandchildren. In fact, when grandchild #5 was about 10, he asked her to leave it to him in her will.:lol

All 3 of my kids have thier own afghans, my Dh has one and I have one. The ones they like the most right now are the scraghans, my son is always asking me for a new ghan and when I tell him he already has one he tells me "but mom I need a new one" I try to make one for a diff family member every Christmas or as Birthday presents so soon everyone in the family will have one.

Its really too early in the season to use a comforter on our bed, so I have afghans near the foot of the bed if it gets cold at night. I also keep one on the sofa. Most of the afghans I make are gifts or for charity.

Archived