how to make a crocheted rug non-skid?

i got ambitious yesterday and finally ripped up the awful old carpet in my boyfriend's and my bedroom yesterday, so now we have a pretty wood floor, and i have to hurry up and finish this crochet rug i'd started about a month ago cuz he doesn't like stepping on the floor LOL. it's one of those 3 strand stash busting rugs, 'cept i had so many different shades of cream and brown that it looks like i planned it lol. anyway, my original question, i've heard that puffy fabric paint on the bottom of slippers will give them grip, can i do that to this rug or is there something better i could do to keep it from slipping?

those posts had some great ideas, thanks!!

yeah, i live with two boys who know their way around a toolbox, and my boyfriend is a nerd, the two construction boys just basically REDID my hallway a few weeks ago, so they're inspiring me LOL. this used to be my grandfather's house before he passed away last december, and it needs a LOT of fixing up, so what better time to do the i-am-woman-hear-me-roar and learn how to do it? lol =)

leesespieces i pulled up my carpets a while ago and i found these mat things called Anchor Hold Non Slip Rug Gripper at Kmarts for $5, but i have seen them other places and that way i can use one side of the rug and then flip it over before it has to be washed. It works great. I found that on slippers puffy paint rubs off as you walk so i dont know if it would do that to the rugs.

I would try non-slip shelf liner. You can get rolls of it at Dollar Tree for $1. I got the idea from Alton Brown's Good Eats show when he recommended this type of liner to place under cutting boards to keep them stable. It works and I have cut some of the liner to fit under a couple of small mats in front of my front and back doors.

It actually works better than the liners sold specifically for rugs....and is cheaper.

Beverly

Gee, thanks for this thread! I got a Herrschners kit for a Christmas crocheted mat and would love to make it non-skid so that people don't fall on their butts.

DON'T USE CHEAP SHELF LINER FOR RUGS. I did, they not only disintegrated after a while and but stained my floors :eek. Use the stuff made for rugs, it's more expensive but worth it - you can get it at Lowe's, etc.

I would still recommend non-slip shelf liner. Just select a neutral color or one close to the same color as your floor. I wouldn't use any of the bright colors. I haven't attached mine. I just cut it to fit as closely as possible to fit underneath the mat and place the mat on top. That way I can replace it as needed. I think I've also seen the non-slip shelf liners in a clear material - just not at Dollar Tree.

Beverly

i got ambitious yesterday and finally ripped up the awful old carpet in my boyfriend's and my bedroom yesterday, so now we have a pretty wood floor, and i have to hurry up and finish this crochet rug i'd started about a month ago cuz he doesn't like stepping on the floor LOL. it's one of those 3 strand stash busting rugs, 'cept i had so many different shades of cream and brown that it looks like i planned it lol. anyway, my original question, i've heard that puffy fabric paint on the bottom of slippers will give them grip, can i do that to this rug or is there something better i could do to keep it from slipping?

Wonderful thread! I made a rug a while ago and was wanting something to make it not slip, as I'm planning on using it in my kitchen where I walk around a LOT!

I would try non-slip shelf liner. You can get rolls of it at Dollar Tree for $1. I got the idea from Alton Brown's Good Eats show when he recommended this type of liner to place under cutting boards to keep them stable. It works and I have cut some of the liner to fit under a couple of small mats in front of my front and back doors.

It actually works better than the liners sold specifically for rugs....and is cheaper.

Beverly

I never thought of using the liner for cutting boards as well... Hmm, I think I must head out later and grab me up some liners... :D

The shelf liners that I used ( that stained my floors ) were not the gaudy dollar store ones, they were a light neutral color close to my floor color but they still stained/yellowed the floor. (No pets or other culprits, either, was definately the liners ) They were not attached, and the floor was linoleum. I have had hall runners for years using the made-for-carpet non-skid stuff with no issues at all (on wood and laminate), but I thought I could 'get by' with the shelf liner stuff in the guest bathroom. Not.

Buying the right stuff is cheaper than replacing the floor, I just don't want anyone else to have the same problem. I like the cutting board idea though.

I put puffy paint on the bottom of crocheted slippers. It works well. I would work for rugs too. I don't recommend using the shelf liner. I did, and it turned my kitchen floor yellow underneath. I replaced my floor with tile and I am not using a liner anymore. I am using some squiggles of puffy paint.

Archived