Bamboo Hooks!!

athena

I bought 5 pcs of oriental design knitting needles cases from this website:

http://www.8season-knitting.com/ They are crazy beautiful! Anyone has bought from this website before? It's a knitting needles and knitting supplies shop in ebay. You can have a look. I am very happy with my purchases there! And my purchased got a lot of appraising from my friends. Recommend this website to you!

I also love the cat on their website!

I am so glad for you. My DH bought one for himself when he could crochet. Now I use it -- size G - Clover. It was an expensive hook. So thank you for the site as the hooks set are very reasonable there. (And I use to like the aluminum and Lucite hooks).

I hope you enjoy your bamboo hooks as much as I do. I love mine. In fact after AC Moore quit having them, I kept looking for them and found them at Mary Maxim in June when we were at the store. You can order them from Mary Maxim on line if someone wanted them. We are going back to the store in late October and I am going to finish getting the ones I don't have. :crocheting

I am looking to exspand my collection of hooks. I have just the basic boyle set that came with the "I taught myself to crochet" book I got at walmart. I have been wondering how hooks made with different materials react with the :yarn, as far as how it slides on the hook and handling. I have been looking on ebay and noticed that some :hook can be very pricey (handturned wooden ones from Graydog?) and I am just not sure which ones to buy.

Let us know how these work out!

Thanks for the post.

have been doing the same thing! Any advice out there??

I am looking to exspand my collection of hooks. I have just the basic boyle set that came with the "I taught myself to crochet" book I got at walmart. I have been wondering how hooks made with different materials react with the :yarn, as far as how it slides on the hook and handling. I have been looking on ebay and noticed that some :hook can be very pricey (handturned wooden ones from Graydog?) and I am just not sure which ones to buy.

Thanks for the post.

I just checked out www.8season-knitting.com/9-size-bamboo-crochet-hookus-size-6-15-p-145.html is directly to bamboo hook set US size 6 - 15, 9 hooks in total reg. $5.42 per set, but July special is 12% off and they are $4.77 each.:D The only drawback is a $30 minimum, :(so I got extra sets and a couple of other things to make the $30 min for the order. I figure that they could be gifts! :)

Thanks for the post.

If you've only used Boye hooks, please try Susan Bates. I think a majority of us find them much easier to crochet with. The hook is a little more rounded & they don't split the yarn like the sharper Boye's do. As for bamboo, I have one & do use it occasionally, but not nearly as much as I thought I would. I do like it for slippery yarns better.

Good luck!

I have used the rosewood hooks, bamboo, and my boye hooks. I purchased a set of susan bates hooks to try and I can not crochet with them. I think it is because they are shorter than the others and I dn't like the shape of the hook its self. My mom on the other had loves her susan bates hooks. Her hands are smaller than mine. I have long fingers.

I just checked out www.8season-knitting.com/9-size-bamboo-crochet-hookus-size-6-15-p-145.html is directly to bamboo hook set US size 6 - 15, 9 hooks in total reg. $5.42 per set, but July special is 12% off and they are $4.77 each.:D The only drawback is a $30 minimum, :(so I got extra sets and a couple of other things to make the $30 min for the order. I figure that they could be gifts! :)

yea..i bought them from that ebay store...:) the lady was very nice and offered free shipping.

I have been the using only the H hook to finish up my little baby afghan. There is a great difference between using the bamboo compared to the aluminum.!!!

If you've only used Boye hooks, please try Susan Bates. I think a majority of us find them much easier to crochet with. The hook is a little more rounded & they don't split the yarn like the sharper Boye's do. As for bamboo, I have one & do use it occasionally, but not nearly as much as I thought I would. I do like it for slippery yarns better.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips. I will try Susan Bates hooks when I get a chance. I am all the time having to pull stitches cause I only got a couple strands of the yarn on the hook (hook split the yarn as mentioned above) and just thought it was because I was a newbie and hadn't gotten the feel for the hook yet.

Have a great weekend everyone.

I'm glad you like them! Have fun!

I figure I'm the oddball but I can't stand bamboo hooks! I thought they would be awesome from all I'd read so I bought one a few months ago and within minutes of using it the first time my wrist was in tremendous pain. I couldn't crochet for days.

Those who enjoy the bamboo hooks - do you usually use Boye or Susan Bates aluminum hooks? I'm a Boye user myself - I've got one or two Bates hooks & don't like them at all. Maybe it's just a matter of what you're used to, but for *me*, the Susan Bates are very uncomfortable & harder to use.

Anyway - the point of my question is -- do these particular bamboo hooks conform more to the style of a Susan Bates hook or a Boye hook? I know I've seen it mentioned on some wood hooks, whether they're closer to "Boye style" or "Susan Bates" style, so that the potential buyer knows whether they're the shape they're accustomed to.

Archived