Farmer Bear (2 pics)

champygirl

I decided to post this guy here. :) I put in links to the diagrams. Hope you like him. Thanks to all my testers. :manyheart

Please read Entire pattern Before starting.

Farmer Bear

post-11825-135897400381_thumb.jpg

Copyright to champygirl June 30, 2008

Materials:

Worsted Weight (I used Red Heart Supersaver yarn) yarn in:
Warm Brown (For Bear)
Buff (For Bear)
Bright Yellow (Hat Brim)
Spring Green (Hat)
Royal Blue (Overalls)
Gold (Buttons for Overalls)
Light blue (Pocket in the back)
Black (Nose, eyes, mouth)
White (Dots in Eyes)

Other Materials:

Size E hook
Yarn Needle
Polyfil (Stuffing)
Stitch Markers

Finish Size: 15” inches H (including hat.) About 6 inches at widest body wise. Almost 12” inches w counting upper part of body with arms.

Notes:

I crochet left handed, so the diagrams might look opposite to those who crochet right handed.

Bear is worked in a continuous spiral, do not join unless specified.

When doing my sc decreases, sometimes I do them in the front loops only. It helps minimize the hole sometimes left when decreasing.

Mark the first stitch of the round and move it up as you go along, to keep track.

Sometimes when I’m working in back loops only, I like to go in both back loops.

Diagram: Here

Directions:

Head: (Bear)

Rnd 1: With Black yarn ch2, 6 sc in 2nd chain from hook. (6sc)
Sl st in next st and finish off leaving a very long tail for embroidering mouth.
Rnd 2: Join Buff yarn with a sc to any stitch, sc in same st, [2sc in next st] Do this 5 times. (12sc)
Rnd 3: [2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next st] Do this 6 times. (18sc)
Rnd 4: [1sc in each of the next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st] Do this 6 times. (24sc)
Sl st in next st and finish off.

Rnd 5: Join Warm Brown Yarn with an sc to any stitch. [sc in next st.] Do this around. (24sc)
Rnd 6: [2 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 3 sts] Do this 6 times. (30sc)
Rnd 7: [1sc in each of the next 4 sts, 2 sc in next st.] Do this 6 times. (36sc)
Rnd 8: [2sc in nex st, 1 sc in each of the next 5 sts.] Do this 6 times. (42sc)
Rnd 9: sc in each st around. (42sc)
Rnd 10-16: Repeat rnd 9 for rnd 10 thru 16. (42sc)

Face:
Embroider mouth (with tail from rnd 1) in between rnds 1 and 4. For the eyes embroider them with black yarn in between rnds 4 and6 (on top of rnd 5). With white yarn make a knot in the middle of each of the eyes, for a little dot. With Black yarn embroider eyebrows between rnds 7 and 8.

Rnd 17: [1 sc in each of the next 5 sts, sc decrease next 2 sts together] Do this 6 times. (36sc)
Rnd 18: Sc in each st around. (36sc)
Rnd 19: [sc decrease next 2 sts, 1 sc in each of the next 4 sts] Do this 6 times. (30sc)
Rnd 20: [1 sc in each of the next 3 sts, sc decrease next 2 sts together] Do this 6 times. (24sc)
Stuff Head, and stuff as you go.
Rnd 21: [sc decrease next 2 sts together, 1 sc in each of the next 2 sts] Do this 6 times. (18sc)
Rnd 22: [1 sc in next st, sc decrease next 2 sts together.] Do this 6 times. (12sc)
Rnd 23: [sc decrease next 2 sts together] Do this 6 times. (6sc)
Sl st in next st, and finish off leaving a 3”inch tail. Weave tail in and out of stitches in rnd 23, pull on tail till opening closes, finish off and weave in ends.

Hat:

Brim:

Rnd 1: With Bright yellow yarn ch2, 8 sc in 2nd chain from hook. (8sc)
Rnd 2: 2sc in each stitch around. (16sc)
Rnd 3: [2sc in next st, 1 sc in next st.] Do this 8 times. (24sc)
Rnd 4: [1 sc in each of the next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st.] Do this 8 times. (32sc)
Sl st in next st and finish off. Weave in ends.

Hat:

Rnd 1: With Spring green yarn ch2, 6 sc in 2nd chain from hook. (6sc)
Rnd 2: 2sc in each st around. (12sc)
Rnd 3: [2sc in next st, 1 sc in next st] Do this 6 times. (18sc)
Rnd 4: [1 sc in each of the next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st] Do this 6 times. (24sc)
Rnd 5: Sc in each stitch around. (24sc)
Rnd 6: Sc in each stitch around. (24sc)
Rnd 7: Sc in each stitch around and then sl st in next stitch (24sc)
Finish off leaving a very long long tail for sewing cap to head.

Sewing: (hat)

With Spring green yarn, sew circle made for brim in front of hat part, sewing half of the circle into the hat part. See Diagram:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/champygirl_photos/Pattern%20diagrams/diagramhatforfarmerbear.jpg

With tail from hat, sew hat on the top of the head until there is a little opening. Stuff hat and sew the rest of the way. Finish off and weave in ends.

Ears: (make 2)

Rnd 1: With Warm Brown yarn ch2, 6 sc in 2nd chain from hook. (6sc)
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st around. (12sc)
Rnd 3: Sc in each st around. (12sc)
Rnd 4: Sc in each st around. (12sc)
Rnd 5: Sc in each st around. (12sc)
Sl st in next st and finish off leaving a long tail for sewing onto head.
Repeat instructions for 2nd ear.
Sew ears to the head, beside the hat. One ear for each side.

Arms: (Make 2)

Rnd 1: With Buff yarn ch2, 6 sc in 2nd chain from hook. (6sc)
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st around. (12sc)
Rnd 3: [2sc in next st, 1 sc in next st.] Do this 6 times. (18sc)
Color change to Warm brown yarn.
Rnd 4: Sc in each st around, back loops only this round. (18sc)
Rnd 5: Sc in each st around. (18sc)
Stuff as you go.
Rnd 6-16: Repeat Rnd 5 for Rnds 6 thru 16. (18sc)
Rnd 17: Sc in each stitch around. (18sc)
Sl st in next st and finish off leaving a long tail for sewing (attaching to bear’s body).
Repeat instruction for 2nd arm. Set both aside.

Body:

Note: The body is worked by attaching yarn to the head and then the body is crochet on from head to foot. You be working in stitches that are already made. This might be confusing, but I will try explaining the best I can. Here’s the diagram:

Right Handed: http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/champygirl_photos/Pattern%20diagrams/RightHandDiagram.jpg
Left Handed: http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/champygirl_photos/Pattern%20diagrams/Farmerbearmuchodiagram.jpg

Rnd 1: Join yarn Warm brown yarn with a sc to Rnd 9 of the bottom corner of head. Work 1 sc in each of the next 7 sts of Rnd 9. (8sc) Turn so your working on side of head, work 1 sc in each 1 st of Rnds 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, & 15. (6sc) Turn so your working on the back of the head. Work 1 sc in each of the next 8 sts of Rnd 15. (8sc) Turn work so you work on the other side of head. Work 1 sc in 1 st of Rnds 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, &9. (6sc) (28 sc total)

Note: It may take a couple times to get it straight. I’m sorry if this is confusing.

Rnd 2: Sc in each st around. (28sc)
Rnd 3: Sc in each st around. (28sc)
Rnd 4: [2 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 3 sts] Do this 7 times. (35sc)
Rnd 5: Sc in each st around. (35sc)
Rnds 6&7: Repeat Rnd 5 for Rnds 6&7. (35sc)
Rnd 8: [ 1 sc in each of the next 4 sts, 2 sc in next st.] Do this 7 times. (42sc)
Rnd 9: Sc in each st around. (42sc)
Rnd 10&11: Repeat Rnd 9 for Rnds 10&11. (42sc)
Rnd 12: [2 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 5 sts.] Do this 6 times, 1 sc in each of the next 6 sts. (48sc)
Rnd 13: Sc in each st around. (48sc)
Rnd 14-21: Repeat Rnd 13 for Rnds 14 thru 21. (48sc)
Stuff body.

Attach (sew) arms on each side of the bear in between Rnds 2 and 8. One arm for each side. If you find it easier to sew on arms after bear is done and stuffed, go ahead and do it then.

Legs:

Note: The legs are continued from the body. Each leg is 24 sc around.

Leg 1:
Here’s the diagram:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/champygirl_photos/Pattern%20diagrams/BearDiagramlegs.jpg
Fold Bear’s body flat and count 12 sts from side (or from the last st made for body) on the front and then marked the 12th st.
Then do this on the back too.

Rnd 1: 1 sc in each of the next 12 sts, now work 1 sc in each of the next sts on the back of bears body. You should have 24 sts and the first leg is started. (24sc)
Rnd2: Sc in each st around. (24sc)
Rnd 3-13: Repeat Rnd 2 for Rnds 3 thru 13. (24sc)
While working on Rnds 3-13, stuff as you go!!!!!!!!!!
Color change to Buff yarn.
Rnd 14: Sc in each st around, through back loops only. (24sc)
Rnd 15: [sc decrease next 2 stitches together, 1 sc in each of the next 2 sts.] Do this 6 times. (18sc)
Rnd 16: [1 sc in next st, sc decrease next 2 sts together.] Do this 6 times. (12sc)
Rnd 17: [sc decrease next to sts together] Do this 6 times. (6sc)
Slst in next st and finish off leaving a long enough tail for weaving. Weave tail in and out of sts of Rnd 17, pull tail taut to close hole, finish off and weave in end.

Leg 2:

Note: Leg 2 will be a little awkward when making, since your crocheting right beside leg 1.

Rnd 1: Join Warm brown yarn with a sc to on of the unworked sts of Rnd 21 of body. (I usually try to leave a long tail when beginning 2nd leg, to sew the gap in between the legs.) 1 sc in each of the next 23 sts. (24sc)
Stuff as you go.
Rnd 2-17: Repeat Rnds 2 thru 17 of Leg 1 for The rest of the Rnds in Leg 2.
Finish off Leg 2 like you did for Leg1.

Body: Finish any more stuffing you need to do through gap in between legs and then sew opening shut with tail from beginning of Leg 2. Finish off and weave in ends.
Set bear aside.

Overalls:

Note: When making the overalls, I found myself trying them on my bear as I made them. To make sure they fit. I recommend you do this too, because you may need to add sts or take away sts or use a different size hook for it to fit your own bear, because your bear might be bigger or smaller depending on if you crochet tight or loose, use a lot of stuffing, or use a different kind of yarn.

Pant Legs:

Leg 1:

Rnd 1: With Royal blue ch 30, Join chain together with a sc into first chain made. (Be careful not to twist chain) After this you should have something resembling a ring. 1 sc in each of the next 29 chains. (30 sc)
(Make sure you try what you have so far on the bear’s leg to make sure it fits.)
Rnd 2: Sc in each st around. (30sc)
Rnd 3- 11: Repeat Rnd 2 for Rnds 3 thru 11. (30sc)
Finish off leaving a long tail for sewing. With the tail you’ll be sewing the gap in between the leg close.

Leg 2:

Rnd 1-11: Repeat instructions for Rnds1 thru 11 of Leg 1 (of pant legs) for Rnds 1 thru 11 of Leg 2. (50sc) Do Not Finish Off!!!!!!!!!

Now you’re going to start the main part of the overalls, continuing from the pant legs. Here’s the diagram:

Right Handed: http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/champygirl_photos/Pattern%20diagrams/Righthandeddiagram.jpg
Left Handed: http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/champygirl_photos/Pattern%20diagrams/overalldiagram.jpg

Rnd 12: Hold Leg 2 (of Pant Leg) beside Leg 1 (of Pant Leg). Make sure the tail from Leg 1 is on the inside, because you will use that to sew gap close. 1 sc in each of the next 25 sts of Leg 1. Skip the last 5 sts of Leg 1 and skip 5 sts on Leg 2. 1 sc in each of the remaining 25 sts of leg 2. (50sc)
Rnd 13: Sc in each st around. (50sc)
Rnd 14-18: Repeat Rnd 13 for Rnds 14 thru 18. (50sc)
Sew gap in between pant legs closed with tail from leg 1. Finish off and weave in end use to sew gap.
Rnd 19-21: Repeat Rnd 13 (of overalls) for Rnds 19 thru 21. (50sc)

This is where the Rnds turns into Rows; you will be starting on the front of the overalls. From here on you will be working in rows. (Unless specified to do otherwise). You will now be continuing from rnd 21.

Overalls Front:

Row 1: 1 sc in each of the next 10 sts, sl st in next st. Ch1and turn.
Note: Row 1 of overalls is just to achieve proper placement of bib.
Row 2: Skip sl st and 1 sc in each of the next 18 sts. Ch1 and turn. (18sc)
Row 3: Sc decrease next 2 sts together, 1 sc in each of the next 14 sts, sc decrease next 2 sts together. Ch1 and turn. (16sc)
Row 4: Sc in each st across, ch1 and turn. (16sc)
Row 5: Sc decrease next 2 sts together, 1 sc in each of the next 12 sts, sc decrease next 2 sts together. Ch1 and turn. (14sc)
Row 6: Sc in each st across, ch1 and turn. (14sc)
Row 7: Sc decrease next 2 sts together, 1 sc in each of the next 10 sts, sc decrease next 2 sts together. Ch1 and turn. (12sc)
Finish off and weave in end.

Overalls Back:

Row 1: Join Royal blue yarn with a sc to Rnd 21 of overalls 9 sts away from the first sc made in Row 2 (of overalls front). 1 sc in each of the next 13 sts, ch1 and turn. (14sc)
Row 2: Sc in each st across, ch1 and turn. (14sc)
Row 3-5: Repeat Row 2 (of overalls back) for Rows 3 thru 5. Ch1 and turn. (14sc)
Do not finish off, from here you will start the first strap.

Straps:

Strap 1:

Row 1: 1 sc in each of the next 3 sts, ch1 and turn. (3sc)
Row 2: Sc in each st across, ch1 and turn. (3sc)
Row 3-15: Repeat Row 2 (of straps) for Rows 3 thru 15. (3sc)
Finish off leaving a long tail to later sew strap in place in the front.

Strap 2:

Row 1: Join Royal Blue yarn with a sc to the first st. of Row 5 (This should be the other side from where the first strap is on the back). 1 sc in each of the next 2 sts, ch1 and turn. (3sc)
Row 2-15: Repeat row 2 (of strap 1) for Rows 2 thru 15. (3sc)
Do not finish off.

Finishing: Ch 1, sc in each sc and sc row end around, putting 2 sc in when turning over corners of front, back, and straps. Join to first sc made (in this rnd). Finish off leaving a long tail to later sew strap in place in the front. Weave in ends except for the tails on the straps.

Buttons: (make 2)

With Gold yarn ch2, 6 sc in 2nd chain from hook, sl st to first sc to join. Finish off leaving long tail for sewing onto strap. Repeat instruction for 2nd button.
Sew each button to each strap. Weave in ends from buttons. (Be careful not to sew the buttons on the wrong side, see pic for exact placement.)

Pocket:
Row 1: With Light blue yarn ch 11, sc in 2nd chain from hook, 1 sc in each of the remaining chains. Ch 1 and turn. (10sc)
Row 2: Sc in each st across, ch1 and turn. (10sc)
Row 3&4: Repeat Row 2 (of pocket) for Rows 3&4. (10sc)
Row 5: Sc in each st across, ch1. (10sc)
Do not finish off.

Finishing: (Basically you’re doing a rnd of sc over the whole pocket.)

Sc down the side into each of the row ends (5sc); turn your work so you’re now working on the bottom of the pocket. You will be working in the free loops left from the starting chain. 2 sc in first loop, 1 sc in each of the next 8 loops, 2 sc in next loop (12sc). Turn your work so you’re working on side. Work 1 sc in each of the row ends (5sc). Turn so you working in top of the pocket, 2 sc in first sc, 1 sc in each of the next 8 sts, 2 sc in last sc (12sc), sl st to starting sc made. (34sc total)
Finish off leaving a long tail for sewing.
Sew pocket to the back of the overalls. Just sew the sides and bottom of the pocket to the over alls. (Do not sew all the way around; otherwise you’ll have just a rectangle sewed on.) Weave in ends from pocket.

Straps:
Put overalls on bear, flips the straps over so they’re on the front and sew them to the front of the overalls, like in the pic. Finish off and weave in ends.

The overalls should be somewhat removeable, not directly sewed on to bear.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!

Copyright to Amelia Beebe AKA champygirl June 30, 2008. Do not claim this pattern as your own and do not sell the pattern. Do not copy and paste pattern to another website, please use a link. You can do whatever you want with the finish item you make. You can sell the finish item, or make it for charity, or make it as a gift. Whatever floats your boat. If you do sell the item online, do not use my photo, make your own and take a picture of that.

post-11825-135897400371_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hello ChampyGirl I saw your teddy when I was browsing the internet for a nice teddy to make and I loved it so much, so I joined this forum today and I am going to make your teddy I cannot wait to start, I live in Australia and we have some different terms here I am using an 8 ply wool I hope that is correct but I believe if i follow the patter it will just make either a smaller or larger bear depending on the wool I am or you are using.

Many thanks for the pattern im going to start now, the crochet fingers are itching. LOL :)

Hugs Karin :manyheart

Oh he is so cute! He's just the thing for my Baby Nephew JD. I think the farmer bear makes a great christmas present for babies. After all there is almost nothing that can be swallowed. Just maybe buttons, but one doesn't need to use those. :D

Thanks for shareing!:fluffy

Archived