a question for those of you who are collecting squares for blankets

Hi all

I was just sat here crocheting up some oddments into granny squares when it struck me to come and ask you a couple of questions.

Whether you are collecting squares for a blanket for yourself or to make squares for others I'd appreciate your answers.

Where I live the most common yarn to get hold of is Double Knit which I believe works out as Sportweight in the US.

Is it acceptable to send squares made from 2 strands of thinner yarns held together when sending people squares for either RAOK or charity blankets (or whatever reason)?

and also

Is it acceptable to just send plain old granny squares rather than fancy ones?

Personally I love granny squares as much as I love fancier patterns and don't have a problem with double strands of yarn so long as the colours are "my" colours and the size is correct.

I'd love to hear everyone else's opinion :)

In my opinion, I would answer yes to both of your questions. As long as they are the size and color asked for, send them on their way!:):):)

Plain granny squares are welcomed just as heartily as plain jane dc,sc, or hdc ones. Part of the beauty of the blankets lie in the variety of squares within. No two blankets will ever look alike and the all reflect the diversity of the contributors..a message all by itself, I'm sure.:manyheart

I would also say yes to both questions, but I would think that it would be important to keep all the squares in the same sort of fiber....acrylic for example or all wool, as they react differently to washing and will pull the finished afghan out of shape after being washed and dried.

I would say yes to both questions also. Generally, when I send out squares for charity or whatever reason, I usually send out just a plain jane granny (unless they request a certain type of square) in the colors they request, as they work up fast and I can get more of them done at a time than the fancier squares, especially if the individual needs them fairly quick. Although, I think the fancier squares are pretty. What I have found is the recepient (individual asking) usually is just extremely grateful and appreciative of the squares that they receive. :hug

I would say yes to both questions also, w/ the same add-ins as several others about being in the same type of yarn (wool or acrylic) and are the same size. grannies are wonderful, easy, beautiful squares.

Sandy

I've wondered the same thing which is why I've never sent any squares even though I'd love to.

Thanks for asking this and thanks ladies for answering. :)

The answer has to be yes to both your queries.

I have sent some squares and here in India we get only acrylic yarn which is 4 ply. As long as the size is correct the thickness of the yarn does not matter. I have made some with 4 to 8 strands of yarn that is used for knitting machines and is very fine. The end product looks good as anyway it is a afghan/blanket made with squares from all various kind hearted ladies.

Archived