Solomon's Knot

I'm not sure where to place this post, so I'm just putting it in "Other Topics" by default! ;)

The new Lion Brand newsletter has instructions for the Solomon's Knot stitch... I think it's really pretty, but I can't figure out what on earth I could make with it. A beach bag comes to mind, but surely the lotion and other necessities would fall right through! The only other thing I've thought of is a hammock! :lol

If you've made something with this stitch, I'd love to know what it was! And if you have any ideas, I'd like to hear those, too!

Solomon's Knot

Thanks everybody! :hook

I've seen a triangular shawl made of this or something very like it. Think of a fuzzy yarn like mohair and how the fibers would fill in the gaps for warmth but allow the knots to show. Or maybe a delicate scarf in laceweight. A calf-length vest in a smashing color to go over a neutral or black outfit. Done in thread to make a delicate doily or runner. Etc.

Hook Me Up! Crochet @ joyfulabode has a Solomon's knot shawl pattern. And Crafttown has an Everyday Shawl pattern. If you are concerned that this is to "holey", then you can reduce the size of the knots. I made a few of these shawls 2 years ago. I used Lion's pound of love and made 3 shawls from that as gifts. I had a lightweight fuzzy, angora like yarn in my stash and I made one for my daughter. It came out lovely. Many, many, many years ago I had made a couple of the triangular love-knot shawls, and they were then called fascinater shawls.

Many years ago I made a string bag in solomons knot. I made up the pattern, in those days I wasn't very good at following patterns but I do still have it somewhere. It was made of red string, quite fine. With today's renewed interest in string bags maybe someone else will try it. Zaraliz

I've made lots of scarves using Solomon's Knot... here's one:

SWSScarf.jpg

I've also done a Mobious Shawl and the triangular shawl from Garn Studio. YOu can control how lacy the look is somewhat by the size of yarn and by the length you make each stitch.

Joan

The book Crochet: Handmade Style has a gorgeous bag pattern with Solomon's knot in light dusky blue silk yarn over a turquoise sort of thai silk lining. It is a drawstring evening purse type thing...

In an old interweave (i think it was) there is a vest using this st. The top part is a more open st using dc and ch and then the lower part is the LK. I made one last summer for a sp I had.

This is the one from crochet garden.

Here is the top. And is was in the spring 06 interweave.

Archived