Project ideas for the plane ride?

There is a cute silpper pattern on Crochet patten central It is super simple. When you look for the pattern when the designer talks about it she makes them for a batterd womens shelter. I make them and send them to our troups overseas.

Hats! On the way to Chicago, I popped my ipod in, and whipped out 3 or 4 girly hats with different designs. This guy, also listening to an Ipod, sitting behind and to the right of me (we were in aisle seats) kept watching me. I thought, kinda creepy, until he wanted to buy a hat for his 17 yr old daughter graduating HighSchool! Very awesome! :cheer I only sold it for $10. But that paid for all the yarn I had brought, plus the satiating starbucks I had on the way!

Hats, and if you can think of other stuff that looks so difficult to the non-crocheter, but takes only minutes to make. I had several people asking me about my hats.

I wish I knew how to make socks, that would definately be an attention grabber.

Have fun, and a safe trip!

i did a scarf on a plane, well atleast part of one.

base your project on your flight time and whether you want something with a repeating pattern (so you can sit back, relax and crochet) or something with lots of changes (so you're mentally occupied as well).

I hate weaving in ends and needing scissors to cut anything while I'm crocheting on-the-go, so I like to use those variegated yarns. I make hats when I want to do something small. Sometimes I just crank out a ton of big flowers to put on the hats or scarves. Flowers are fun to make and small! I wish I understood sock patters. I would love to try those.:crocheting

I actually make project linus baby blankets on the plane. Anything that doesn't require a lot of color changes and isn't too big. A round ripple is great to start because you get so many rounds done and you've still got a small project. (I made a 31" one in about a week on a trip to CA and back about a year or so ago...)

Baby hats are a good choice, or booties... or squares to stash for when someone is looking for some for a comfortghan.... (I personally hate sewing squares together....)

I actually worked on a twin-sized afghan the last time I was flying, but I often find myself making small things like wrist-warmers and hair scrunchies on the bus, because my coat has a pocket large enough to tuck in a ball of cotton and a hook. (Of course, when I'm carrying my purse I can work on much larger projects)

I'm going to be working on a baby round ripple when we fly next Wednesday. I will have a 4 hr layover in DFW so I can work on it during that time also. Maybe even get it done while on the return flight and have it ready for my granddaughter when she get's to finally visit.

I'm a threadie and a yarnie, so I bring a bit of both when I go anywhere...this summer I'll be flying again (with 2 kids, haven't flown since I had only one, and he was 18 months (so about 6 years ago) flying's so expensive) so anyway. I'd bring a fairly easy to understand threadie (like a doily w/o lots of color changes) and some yarn...hmmm. CPC would be a good place for ideas...I don't think I'd bring something with lots of pieces like an ami--but that's just me. There's a cute mini-trashcan there, that'd be fun to make. or a summer top, if my carry-on/purse is big enough. Otherwise coasters, hats, finger puppets, something like that.

I like the idea of bringing something that "Looks" complicated... :D

HTH

Hooks and knitting needles are ok. You have to watch your cutter, though. Check the TSA website. I take plastic hooks because I have heard it can just be a personal call of the security person of the day. No yarn cutter because of the hidden blade but nail clippers and small round pointed scissors are ok. Some people take a dental floss cutter.

Thank you very much for the info.. I think plastic would be ok too.. I am not fond of them, but better than have them taken away! Thanks again

Hooks and knitting needles are ok. You have to watch your cutter, though. Check the TSA website. I take plastic hooks because I have heard it can just be a personal call of the security person of the day. No yarn cutter because of the hidden blade but nail clippers and small round pointed scissors are ok. Some people take a dental floss cutter.

On my last flight I took along a scarf project and a metal hook. I didn't need scissors as it was a variegated yarn all the way through. I did research on whether or not I could bring my hooks and the TSA website specifically says it is ok to bring them. Just in case I got a screener that was having a bad day, I printed it off to plead my case if they tried to confisticate any hooks. I didn't get any hassle or even a second look so the paperwork was unneccesary. But just in case that doesn't work- don't bring along your favorite hook.

Not only did crocheting keep me entertained on the flight, it provided other people with entertainment; other passengers sat and watched me while we waited for our flights. And its an icebreaker since people will occasionally come up and ask you about it.

Mitered Squares work well they can join as you go or be joined later into strips for baby afghans or big people ones, a single one small makes coasters. little large hot pads etc doing them in the back loop only makes another dimension and I have seen patterns for an afghan stitch ( tunisian ) one. They are easy enough so not too much counting, yet interesting enough not to be boring.

Baby Blanket with back loop only detail.

Basic Square

Cant find the tunisian one right now but if you know how to increase and decrease it's a way to practice another technique.

Ok found it here could be used for any type square

Tunisian Mitered Dishcloth

On our trip to San Diego, I worked on a Round Ripple I had started in a varigated yarn. I had just the center started at home, and then just went round and round on the plane, and in the terminal as we waited to come home.

The SD airport has large wooden rocking chairs all over the place, so I just grabbed one and happily crocheted as we waited through our delay.

Just bring a hook with you and one in your checked luggage. Don't bring a cherished hook that can't be replaced, just in case the FAA gets fussy that day and takes it away.

There's been a couple more threads on this site saying what can be brought and what can't. Check those out.

:manyheart

I usually take something with motifs that I am familiar with on the plane. My mind isn't focussed enough to do something totally new.

I always put away my hook if I'm ready to snip (dental floss container for snipping) and then weave in. I've lost a hook when it slipped down onto the floor. There's no room to look for anything and when the plane lands, it's too hectic to look for anything.

One time I was worked on a one-piece afghan to use up a huge cone of yarn that someone had given me. By the time the afghan was blanket sized, it was just too large to be working with on the plane.

If you keep your pattern in a plastic sheet, it will usually clip neatly and in front of you underneath the hook that locks the tray table. That way you can eat, crochet, aznd watch a movie all at once.

The SD airport has large wooden rocking chairs all over the place, so I just grabbed one and happily crocheted as we waited through our delay.

What a great idea to have rocking chairs instead of those plastic waiting area seats.

Hong Kong airport had an area where you could rent a barca-lounger to sleep.

What a great idea to have rocking chairs instead of those plastic waiting area seats.

Hong Kong airport had an area where you could rent a barca-lounger to sleep.

Actually, they had both the typical airport seating and the rocking chairs. I just thought it was great. They added extra seating for the consumers and it was portable. My daughter sat on the bench, and I pulled up a rocker. You would see people just reading, working on their computers and other things, sitting in the rockers. I thought it was a pretty nice thing to have at an airport. And Starbucks helps too!

Now, the barca lounger would be something my husband would like, that's for sure!

Glad I looked at this thread, I was wondering what I could take on our flight in June...We will be in the air totalling 21 hours with 2 stops. Hmm wonder if I could carry enough yarn for that? Maybe I'll make some thread roses and such or a doilie. I just had to look at all your good tips...Amazing what you can learn in here.

Archived