Can you help these disabled kids make it to the Olymptics?? Holding a craft sale

dr-mom

Last wiinter two of my girls were scouting aroundfor shawls for theri prom dresses - I have seven childen five adopted with special needs. we just could not find what we wanted at a price we could afford. I hadn't knitted or crocheted in twenty years - but I figured this must be like riding a bicycle - as I worked a taught the girls and we made two beautiful stolls, the perfeect patteern and color, for about $5 each. the girls were pretty excited and they invited a couple of their friends to come and learn and they invtied their friends and you know how it goes. I had decided to limit the group to young adults - once our kids are out of school their social contacts are so limited, but one day my daughter simone came home and said I have someone knew for the groupbut she is only 12, ohhhhhh, mom she wants to learn to crocheet so badly that she is practicing with a pair of those throw away chop sticks, and that is how our crochet/knit group began. the age range is 12 to about 32, and I feel so sad for these young adults, most live in state or federal homes and have no family contact, or support and no spending money. We are desperately in need of supplies, yarn, tapestry needles, crochet hooks, knitting needles, totesl, cotton yarn, large buttons. The group we have noth girls and guys, are teaching me so much about life, and how to life it fully, I don't even want to have to tell someone know becuase I don't have enough supplies. In addition they habe decided to help the special olympics and pay their own way to statae by using their new crafting talents and hosting a craft sale,

If you have extras in your stash, needles you never use cotton, your favorites yarns, will be their favorites, they appreciate everything they receive and not a drop is ever waisted. They decided to call themselves the "Chain Gang" after all you always have to make a chain, and one done you are certainly hooked! Take a look at our photos at

Thrilled to be a member of the "chain gang"!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thechaingangs/my_photos?

And if you can spaare any of your stash want to make a cash donation or have some items you have made that you might add to our craft table please know you will have one special persons dream come true. (Tax deductible receipts will be issued. the girlshave a paypal account at thechaingang@comcast.net or write me and I will gladly provide you with an address for mailing extra stash,

Thank you - Pamela

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pamela,

You ROCK!!! Undertaking anything with special needs kids can be difficult but on the scale you are doing is outstanding. I'll root around and pm you for your address to send you and your kids a care package.

Aww man, now I'm crying and so early in the day too!

Bless your heart, this is such a wonderful thing to do! I have a friend who has several adopted special needs kids too (you can read about the family here, )

I think it's absolutely fabulous to teach these kids how to crochet and knit.

I will definitely pass the info about your group along to some friends! I will also keep you in mind for anything from my stash that I can spare in the months to come. Please PM me the mailing address so I'll have it on hand...

You rule, please keep up the amazing work!!! :cheer:clap:manyheart

:hug

Ro

I think what you are doing is fabulous. What a great opportunity for those kids to do something creative:) . Crochet and/or knitting can give them such satisfaction, a sense of accomplishment.

I sent you an e-mail.

Thank you for listening and caring for these kids - young adults I know - for some of these young adults they have never had a birthday party or a holiday gift, let alone their very own social group, and your extras will become their gifts - thank you Pamela - take a look at our photos

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thechaingangs/my_photos?

I try to add new pictures every time we meet - Pamela

What a great group. I loved seeing their proud smiles. I commend you on your willingness to get involved helping those with special needs.

Pm you address and I'll send some goodies. I know I have duplicate hooks and way more yarn than I need. Gee, I wonder how that happened. :lol

Rebecca

I know what you mean about finding extra yarn. :think Maybe it just follows us home? I sent Pamela some yarn and hooks last week, and it felt so good. :yay I've got to search the stash again and see what else I can find...if I can get into the closet. As of now I have to get on my tiptoes to reach the rod cause I can't get in the door anymore. :eek I'm glad these young people can have the joy of creating something just as we all do here.

Kathy

I would love to upload a couple of photos here for you guys to see - could anyone walk me thorugh the process, I don't seem to see any instruction but they are probably right in front of my nose!:c9:manyheart:devil:yay:clap

If you use Yahoo as your photo hosting site, you can link to their pictures but not display them. (has something to do with hotlinking).

Many of us here have accounts with Photobucket which is free and easy to use. It will allow you to post your pictures here.

If you go HERE in the How To forum, there are clear instructions with how to post a photo.

I have some yarn for you. My step-daughter has spina biffita (sp) and I have a great respect for anyone who helps anyone learn to knit or crochet. I love it and there is nothing like creating something colorful to help your mood. Please let me have your address and my husband will be more than happy to box up some yarn I have been moving for years.:hook

I have some yarn for you. My step-daughter has spina biffita (sp) and I have a great respect for anyone who helps anyone learn to knit or crochet. I love it and there is nothing like creating something colorful to help your mood. Please let me have your address and my husband will be more than happy to box up some yarn I have been moving for years.:hook

thank you elaine I will send you PM with my home address - it is really appreciated

Pamela,

I have a few questions about your group. I think the information will help us better understand your needs.

How many are in your group at the moment?

What are the preferred crochet hook and or knitting needle sizes? In other words are larger sizes better than smaller?

You mentioned cotton on your original post. Are you referrring to yarn or thread?

I was also wondering if you had a need for simple patterns and how do you teach your group to read patterns? Do you use standard abbreviations or charts or do you rely on verbal instructions?

I ask because it occurred to me that many new crocheters have difficulty getting used to the abbreviations. Would it be helpful to have some of your patterns written out with full words or even typed in a large print format?

Can't think of anything else at the moment, but if I do I know where to find you. :D

Rebecca

I wanted to tell you that what you are doing has brought me to tears. I have a nephew with Downs and no one ever lets him do things like he is a human being unless he is with me or his mom. Thank you so much for doing what you do!

How many are in your group at the moment?

We have 30 in the group with usually about 12-15 coming at a time - as they are dependant upon others (staff) to get them to my home - and not always is it a priority for others.

What are the preferred crochet hook and or knitting needle sizes? In other words are larger sizes better than smaller?

Larger hooks and needles would be helpful as well as hooks and needles with adaptations such as the clover hooks, we have a couple that can handle the steel hooks but generally starting at D through the acrylics for crochet hooks, we have 3 with cerebral palsy affecting the hands and difficulty with grasp, and two with vision problems

You mentioned cotton on your original post. Are you referring to yarn or thread?

I was thinking of being able to make pot holders and dishcloths - cotton yarn and thread would be nice for that, but we also need bulky yarns as that works up easily and simply for many

I was also wondering if you had a need for simple patterns and how do you teach your group to read patterns? Do you use standard abbreviations or charts or do you rely on verbal instructions?

all of the above - we have several with autism who are fantastic at verbally informing the others that sc is single crochet and remembering and reciting the patterns we are currently working on - but simple patterns written complete out would be fantastic, I verbally instruct, and I have a teenager who pitches in as well, my daughter who is blind is also autistic so she is wonderful at verbally repeating things! Did that help or confuse?

I ask because it occurred to me that many new crocheters have difficulty getting used to the abbreviations. Would it be helpful to have some of your patterns written out with full words or even typed in a large print format?

to have patterns written out in full words and large print would be helpful for all of my group - I don't think that I even thought of that - I have used my printer to enlarge, and been teaching as we go - for most once they have a pattern down and repeat it - while it takes them longer to learn once learned they have it - then I put them to work teaching the next new one so the student becomes the teacher and you would not believe the glow of self esteem! It just takes such a huge amount of supplies as I want for them to be able to work on thing at their (homes where ever that may be - they tell me how whey they are accept they go to their rooms and work on their projects or - sit in front of the TV and crochet or knit - and how they know how to do things others don't

Can't think of anything else at the moment, but if I do I know where to find you.

I wanted to tell you that what you are doing has brought me to tears. I have a nephew with Downs and no one ever lets him do things like he is a human being unless he is with me or his mom. Thank you so much for doing what you do!

your welcome but you know these young adults teach me more than I will ever be able to teach them - my life would not be complete without each one of them in it!

also I am thinking if anyone might have lap looms, or small knitting looms, these might work for my gang members who have more involved physical problems, they could slide that handle or wind the loom - :ideaI am not real familiar with looms, but I think once set up for some of my group this might be a real answer and they could do this!:help

Wow, Pamela, I was impressed with the work you do on the first place, but by the time I read your last couple of posts, I was sitting here with my mouth wide open.

Perhaps those grips they sell at craftstores would be beneficial to the kids with CP. I have read about people using pencilgrips on hooks to aid with a variety of Physical conditions.

The pictures are beautiful.

I hope your Chaingang gets lots of supplies to keep it going.

(I am still fishing around for some)

Archived