Can you help these disabled kids make it to the Olymptics?? Holding a craft sale

dr-mom

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Pamela! I didn't forget about you, we had major work going on at our house the past week and I haven't been near the computer in days!

I was thinking, what about crochenit? Have you tried that yet? Especially for dish cloths it might be helpful for those with vision issues and dexterity problems because the hooks are so huge. Also if you can get a basic pattern that only has a couple steps working the loops on and off the hook, once they get each row down they just have to repeat them to the end...

*gears still turning* when I find my extra crochet hooks they have your name on em!!!

Ro:hug

Hi Pamela! I didn't forget about you, we had major work going on at our house the past week and I haven't been near the computer in days!

I was thinking, what about crochenit? Have you tried that yet? Especially for dish cloths it might be helpful for those with vision issues and dexterity problems because the hooks are so huge. Also if you can get a basic pattern that only has a couple steps working the loops on and off the hook, once they get each row down they just have to repeat them to the end...

*gears still turning* when I find my extra crochet hooks they have your name on em!!!

Ro:hug

It sounds like a great idea - I have never done that before - I wonder if anyone on the email might have a couple of exrtra sets of the needles and some patterns that we could try? I am really tapped out for a while can't buy any more. But I am going to keep this in mind - reallly need something for the kids that are more sev erly involved as I really believe they can do this too.

Hi Pamela!

A friend that I 'put the word out' to about chain gang hit Michaels the other day and picked up more than a dozen hooks for you and some patterns, I emailed her the address and she'll be sending them off to you soon! Her name is Ellen so if you get the package you'll know how she heard about you all.

I found some bates hooks hope to mail them out tomorrow or Wednesday, want to put all the stuff in there that I can for you will try to scare up an extra crochenit hook too if I can to see if you can try it out and see if it'll work for some of your more visually challenged kids.

Working off the loops from the hook would be the hardest part I think, but the size of the hook is so much bigger that it may help you! I would also think that maybe trying a Q hook for projects like squares would help the kids with dexterity issues too.

I'm gonna add a page to the PSF website if it's okay with you about Chain Gang, to try to help raise awareness...hope to get to work on that this afternoon some.

:hug

Ro

I think there must be a special gene in people who love to crochet as they have such compassion and love, thank you all for helping the chain gang, For those who don't know we are having a craft sale on father's day - if you have any little things you might be able to send us - to sell it would be greatly appreciated, these kids young adults I should say really desreve to go to the special olympics!

Thank you for all you have done.

Pamela

HI pamela I apologize I didn't get the hooks into the mail yet but hopefully this weekend, I didn't forget about you all!!!

hugs

Ro

HI pamela I apologize I didn't get the hooks into the mail yet but hopefully this weekend, I didn't forget about you all!!!

hugs

Ro

We will be happy whenever they arrive - and know we will use everything very carefully and well.

Over on another thread I saw the article about the Chain Gang in Carol Alexander's About Crochet newsletter.

Congratulations Pamela. What a nice write up. :clap

If any of you have not seen it yet pop on over to Other Crochet topics and look for Crochet Dude. Drew got a nice write up as well.

God bless you for the work you do! I just recently got back into crocheting after quite a lengthy hiatus, (I had some carpal tunnel & tendon problems). Anyway, I had given away most of my yarn to my niece and don't really have a stash anymore, but eventually, I know I'll be back to hoarding my leftovers. So, if you could please keep coming back here and reminding us of your need from time to time, I think it will be worth it. Some others, I'm sure, like me will have stuff in the future. Thanks....

I just got the lastest "Talking Crochet" newsletter with Carol Alexander. The "Chain Gang" is featured there. Then I come on this site and see it again! That is a wonderful work. I have some hooks that I've already set aside for you. I would love to send something for the craft show, but all my crochet time right now is taken up making hacky sacks. Our youth group is hosting a hacky sack tournament at a local event this summer. We are also trying to make as many hacky sacks as possible to sell as well. All the proceeds will go to sending the kids to camp. Keep up the wonderful work with your group!

Our Craft Sale is Sunday - Please think positive thoughts Wal-mart is under construction - and I am scared they will cancel on us - you have to be 15 feet from the front door - these young people have been working steady for over 3 months to try to pull this off and go to the Special Olympics - they will be so sad

Pamela

Hi I wanted to update everyone on happenings with my group of disabled young adults. We were all set for Wal-mart had the van loaded but my DH said before all the kids get around lets go out there in person and make sure - well we got out there and the sidewalks were all tore up = went to talk to the manager and he said of course you won't be able to sell we have no sidewalk - but they had no plan to even call u s LOL

Thanks to three wonderful women from California that own a web design company we now have our very own site separate from anyone else's and they are developing a craft shop on that site so that all items will be sold!

Now Lol in the middle of sending them all the photos - as the Gang itself had made over 100 items and then all of your wonderful donations, my computer died We hope to have the new site up by the end of the week and I will email you all than.

Then I fell and fractured my hand in the drive way - I have osteoporosis so does not take much - but do you think this is a sign or what

Now for some help - I got a thank you back in the mail that I had sent out for Blaze - if you could email me with your address I would appreciate it.

We received a donation via Herschners from Cheryl Novak, Cheryl could you email with your address too.

And some great person sent us a donation through Caron Yarn Company - we would like to do a thank you, if you would contact me at Email: thegang@thechaingangs.org

Web: www.thechaingangs.org

As I have lost all of my email addresses could those of you who had emailed me before just shoot me an email at the address above - thanks for understanding

Pamela

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your hand Pamela!!! I hope you're better soon!

I can't believe Wal-Mart did that, were you able to have the sale anyway???

I can't wait to see the new website, they must be working on it cause nothing comes up when I click the link...

I plan to keep a page for the gang up on the PSF website (unless you don't want me to) I will link it to the new website on your own domain soon as it's up and running.

What wonderful news about the donations, I can't think of anybody who deserves it more than your kids!!

You're such an inspiration to me and so many others!!!:hug

hugs

Ro

Archived