Help for a Jewish Baby Gift

I have a very dear friend who is going to have a baby. She is jewish and we live in a part of the country where there are very few jewish people. Honestly I don't know much about her religion. I would like to make something very special for her, but I don't know what. If she was Catholic (like my family) I would make a Christening set, but I don't know if there is a traditional gift for jewish babies. I can always make a special layette set, but I just wondered if there was something that would be traditional to give a jewish baby. I have several months, and have the time to make something pretty detailed. I think my friend would be very touched if I included something of her heritage and religion in the gift.

Anyone have any ideas?

What about a dreidle shaped rattle? I don't have a pattern but I'm sure it could be figured out.

My daughter's father is jewish and she rcvd a dreidel shaped rattle, though it wasn't in crochet.

Also, if you choose to do a layette, a simple way of adding her religion into it would be to include the phrase "Mazel Tov" in a card. It is a way of saying congratulations.

How about looking through some jewish stores on the net to get some ideas that you could possibly translate into crochet OR you could just do a baby blanket in blue and white. If your more experienced you could do one with a star of David in the center or just a granny with a square here and there: http://cgli.150m.com/starofdavid.htm

For a Jewish baby, or any baby, a beautiful crocheted sweater or booties and hat would be greatly appreciated and very appropriate. If you wanted to make a baby blanket with the Star of David (Jewish Star) I do not think it would be appropriate for you to do, but if you google it you can find the pattern.

If it is a boy or girl, a blue or pink or yellow baby blanket would do just fine. I would not stress over it to make something especially Jewish. I do not think I would expect to get a Jewish type gift from someone who is not Jewish.....

any gift would do.:manyheart

Thank you for the ideas. I guess I will try to find out what a dreidle is. I am actually making gifts for 5 pregnant people this spring, so I have a lot of ideas for regular baby stuff, but I also see this as special because she is so far from her family and the jewish traditions that she grew up with. She is a really special friend, and also a knitter so we talk a lot about things we make, yarns, ect. We also have horses in common so maybe I will make something horse themed.

I really try to customize everything that I make for babies anyway. Camo yarn for hunting parents, basket ball colors & buttons & ribbons for a coach, under the sea theme for a friend who likes turtles, raiders theme for a couple who likes raiders football. You get the idea...

If the baby is boy, you could make something similar to the christining set for the circumcision ceremony. That's supposed to be done when the boy is 8 days old. I don't know for a girl though.

If she's a dear friend, anything you make will be a treasure to her. It doesn't have to be relious specific. Make her a nice blanket or baby outfit. Use the room colors or her favorite colors if you know them. Put the baby's name/last name in an afghan. The ideas really are endless.

:)

A thoughtful handmade gift is always appropriate, and a dear friend should be thrilled with all the work that goes into one. A gift with religious significance is not necessary. I would steer clear of a blanket with a Star of David on it, especially in an area where there are not many Jews living. I know from personal experience, that believe it or not, Anti-Semitism is alive and well in the good old USA.

A blanket or sweater set would be a lovely and appreciated gift for a friend. If you don't know if it is a boy or a girl yet, you could wait until after the birth to use an appropriate color, or go with the gender neutral yellow, green or white. It would not be wrong to wait until after the birth either...in many Jewish families, my own included, there is a superstition that it is bad luck to have baby things in the house before the birth, especially if it is a first baby.

The congratulatory "Mazel Tov" on the card would be a nice touch.

It is Jewish tradition not to give baby gifts until after the baby is born. So, I would recommend holding off on the gift giving. I agree that a beautiful layette set would be greatly appreciated, no matter what the recipiant's religion. Tell your friend mazel tov (congratulations) on the new baby!

If you know that the baby will be a boy, a crocheted yarmalkah might be nice. This is like a beanie. You could crochet a small beanie and put strings on it to tie under the chin. This could be worn at the baby's circumcison, which is performed on the 8th day. Other than this, there is no reason to try to make anything religious. Anything you would make, either an afghan, sweater and hat etc., would be fine.

I would recommend just making a blanket or layette, and not trying to make anything of Jewish significance. A dreidel is a top that children play with at Hanukkah, but unless the baby is born on Hanukkah is seems a bit forced.

I'm sure your friend will appreciate a blanket or sweater set.

It is very easy to get it wrong when dabbling with a religion/culture alien to you. If I were you I would avoid a religion-specific gift. As a good friend, something hand-made by you would be precious and special to her.

( As a random example, the Swastika is an important emblem for Hindus. We would never put it on a blanket which might get soiled by the baby.)

Archived