Shawler CAL

I finished my Shawler I did in Moda Dea Floral. I used black for the hood and cuffs, it turned out wonderful! I will try to post some pics over the weekend. Now I am going to start one in Bohemian. My name is Dawn and I am a Shawler addict!

:rofl your last sentence cracked me up. a real Shawleraholic, huh? (no offense here please) Can't wait to see the pics! I've not seen Moda Dea Floral.

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:rofl your last sentence cracked me up. a real Shawleraholic, huh? (no offense here please) Can't wait to see the pics! I've not seen Moda Dea Floral.

Shelle I really am a Shawleraholic! :yes I have had one on my hook ever since I got my pattern!!!! I Just Can't Stop Making Shawlers!!!!!!!!!

I don't think they make the Moda Dea floral any longer I got in on clearance at AC Moore, but it's going to be great colors for the fall.

LOL I can't wait to see that one! I bet you've got the pattern memorized by now!:yes

Yup, I can make Shawlers in my sleep!!!!

Here ya go, I really like the way this one turned out, guess running out of the Floral was a good thing, I really like the contrast with the black.

016-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

I am ready to start another today!:yay Thanks for the awesome pattern Shelle!:hug

Oh Wow!! That is fantastic! I really like the contrasting hood & cuffs. It gives it a whole different look!!!! I'm going to do my next one like that. :yay Great job!!:cheer:clap

Awww, thank you, that really means alot to me coming from the designer!:hug

I have been a bit slack with my shawler but got it out tonight to do a few more rows. Im now upto row 36 on the first side and realised that its not very big, then realised that Im using a H hook when I should have been using a K hook. Now Im going to have to work out how many more rows Im going to have to add on. Boy I wish I would read the instructions before starting something.

I am SO making this, just as soon as I can get more yarn. I'm actually making it for......wait for it now.....MYSELF!!!! Of course, I may also make one for my mom as well. And my perpetually cold sister in law, and my constantly freezing daughter, etc. But for a change, ME FIRST!!! I'm hoping to have the yarn and be ready to start this by the end of August!

Zoe - that is great!!! Hope mine comes out half as good. Started one in yellow for a give-away. I'm working on both sleeves at the same time cause I'm just a little OCD and the increases HAVE to be in the same place on both pieces!! So far so good. I like the pattern and I just wish it weren't so hot and humid here right now. Mine will be in a much more conservative color - darker blue with black or dark gray trim.

Zoe - that is great!!! Hope mine comes out half as good. Started one in yellow for a give-away. I'm working on both sleeves at the same time cause I'm just a little OCD and the increases HAVE to be in the same place on both pieces!! So far so good. I like the pattern and I just wish it weren't so hot and humid here right now. Mine will be in a much more conservative color - darker blue with black or dark gray trim.

I look forward to seeing it when your Shawler is finished! I really want to make another one for myself for the Fall (one just isn't enough!:blush) I hate wearing coats, so the Shawler is a perfect solution!

I hear this. I'm like that with socks. I hand knit and crochet my own socks. Can't have enough of those either. I see me making more than one shawler - it's easy and fast. And, I think it will go over everything. A plus.

I look forward to seeing it when your Shawler is finished! I really want to make another one for myself for the Fall (one just isn't enough!:blush) I hate wearing coats, so the Shawler is a perfect solution!

Zoe,

I love the last one that you did its gorgeous. Since you have made so many I will ask you? I have made one complete so far and am doing my second one both with homespun. Have you done any with just worsted weight yarn like caron one pounders? I have tons of that. I have some yarn that I bought at a goodwill store. not sure of the type as they took all the labels off of it. so i have no clue how much is even in a skein, not much by the looks of it. I was just curious as homespun is beautiful and expensive but the other i have tons of. I will admit that i really loved this pattern ad made myself with the support of this cal to push forward with the homespun and this is the first thing and only thing i have made using this yarn.

I also have a question about yarn choices. How does Homespun hold up over time on a shawler? How often so you wash these? I might want to consider a different bulky type yarn. What else have people used that holds up well?

I hear this. I'm like that with socks. I hand knit and crochet my own socks. Can't have enough of those either. I see me making more than one shawler - it's easy and fast. And, I think it will go over everything. A plus.

I have made them with Worsted Weight and DC and found it came out ok but was a little "airy" so was fine for indoor sweater wear.

I made one with Worsted Weight and HDC and found that much better for something thicker. Either of course will require more rows because they arent bulky yarns. But I am planning on making several with caron pounders , I have a few colors that I have 2-3 skeins.

Hope that helps!

Hugs

Kath

Zoe,

I love the last one that you did its gorgeous. Since you have made so many I will ask you? I have made one complete so far and am doing my second one both with homespun. Have you done any with just worsted weight yarn like caron one pounders? I have tons of that. I have some yarn that I bought at a goodwill store. not sure of the type as they took all the labels off of it. so i have no clue how much is even in a skein, not much by the looks of it. I was just curious as homespun is beautiful and expensive but the other i have tons of. I will admit that i really loved this pattern ad made myself with the support of this cal to push forward with the homespun and this is the first thing and only thing i have made using this yarn.

Funny you would ask, the only yarn I have not tried yet is Homespun. I made 1 from a bag of mill ends, just good old worsted weight, another from LB Chenille, LB Suede and then the Modea Dea Floral, the Modea and LB yarn was all purchased at Big Lots for a buck! I have started one in Bohemiem. I really want to try the Homespun, but have not found it on sale :( Experiment!!!! Each one I have made has been unique! Maybe I will find some more fun yarn to try when we take a road trip to AC Moore on Monday!:devil

Zoe,

Your Shawler came out fantastic,,,Love the black piping and black sleeves. These touches make it so unique...Mine is in a loud varigated autumn ww yarn and I still need to do the piping and may go for a solid color to offset the busy varigated...good idea.:cheer

I am not as ambitious as you are and am happy to have the one I made and am not planning another one until winter...

I am intimidated by wearables. I have been crocheting for a long time and have done many pillow dolls but have never done anything I can wear. I want this shawler really really bad. I am wondering how hard is it for a beginner at wearables? Should I start with something else and move up to this or just dive right in and go for it? Thanks for any advice.

Making this Shawler was my first wearable--go for it!!!

Before I started I went through the whole thread and made notes of the post numbers of tips and comments I thought would be helpful. There are also a couple extra diagrams and photo explanations that are great. Anything you need is right here in this thread, whether it is encouragement or just advice for any questions you may have!

Thanks! I have been eyeballing this thread for a week now trying to convince myself I can do it. I'm going to see if I can come up with the yarn I want to wear all winter this weekend and then get the pattern Monday and go for it I think.

Thanks! I have been eyeballing this thread for a week now trying to convince myself I can do it. I'm going to see if I can come up with the yarn I want to wear all winter this weekend and then get the pattern Monday and go for it I think.

:cheerI agree.....Go for it! :cheer You will love the results! I can't wait to see and hear what you pick out!:crocheting

Ok, here's my problem. I live in a small town and the only yarn available to me is Red Heart. I have never crocheted with anything other then that. It is about a two hour trip to the nearest Hobby Lobby or Michaels.

My friend and I loaded up early Saturday morning and spent the day at both stores. Hobby Lobby had almost all the yarn on sale or clearance so my stash really grew.

Since I have never used anything else I don't know anything about the other yarns and couldn't decide what to get. I know I like earth tones better then bold and brights. So I guess I just need help in deciding what yarn is best to get for the shawler.

What are your recommendations based your experience doing the pattern? I got a good idea of the colors I like so I will just order the yarn online once I figure out what is best.

Thanks everyone!

I have only used Homespun so far and it is the first time I have used it and stuck with it lol. I only got it cuz it was on sale as well. As far as other yarns go Zoe has used a variety of different ones, and then someone else in here has used acrylic so I think it will work out fine might need to add rows.

Archived