Crochet depression

I'm so sorry to hear that. People, rather in person or on the internet where they feel so much braver, can be extremely mean and no it is not jealousy. It's just mean. They don't like different, they don't like change, they don't like what they don't understand, etc.

I hope your daughter was okay. My daughter loves me to make her things and one of her favorite things is your Blue Plush Skirt (I made it with SS). We've gotten so many compliments on it.

Big :hug to you both.

:dayThank you! I just need to let go and get over it! My daughter was hurt at first because it became a group of kids that followed one loud mouth girl. We have talked and she realizes that people have the choice how to act and what to say. She's fine now with what happened. It just got "mom" to worrying a little. But.... I have to get over it too.

Your words help and I thank you:hug

I'm so sorry to hear that. People, rather in person or on the internet where they feel so much braver, can be extremely mean and no it is not jealousy. It's just mean. They don't like different, they don't like change, they don't like what they don't understand, etc.

I hope your daughter was okay. My daughter loves me to make her things and one of her favorite things is your Blue Plush Skirt (I made it with SS). We've gotten so many compliments on it.

Big :hug to you both.

Empress is right - people (and even kids sometimes) can just be cruel - just because there's someone there to dump it on. I'm glad your daughter is ok about it now and I hope you will be too. :hug to you both.

Christina I certainly understand what you are saying. I too am taking a Crochet Vacation because crochet became a chore instead of my favourite thing to do.

i know it will pass and I am still crocheting as I feel like it.

Chin up girl. God loves what you do with a hook so you will get back in the groove. :hug

:wlol

christiana...the world as I know it is coming to an end (in a positive way...) I love to work with my hands, I always have...and I've always liked to make things for myself and others...usually wearables...my stuff for years wasn't top notch...designs were okay, but the work itself was "primitive," sometimes sloppy and definately "homemade" looking. It never stopped me from making and wearing my sweaters, dresses, halter tops and so one, whether they be sewn or crocheted or knitted. But for myself I tried to just get better and better over the years and my work shows it. That being said, I'm a sensitive person, my feelings do get hurt...people are cruel, be it kids at school or one's own family members. Quite frankly, my own family was far more cruel about my "talents" than anyone ever was at school.

I have two sisters that for the longest time just didn't get me and my need to make things. One sister to this day truly doesn't like anything "homemade..." doesn't matter how made it is...

So with that in mind, understand again that my world as I've known for decades is coming to an end...miracles happen. Last August one sister wanted me to teach her how to crochet (I about fainted when she asked me to teach her...) and just this last month my other sister, the one that told me a year ago she would NEVER HAVE ANYTHING CROCHETED IN HER HOME...actually gushed over a sweater I made for a nephew of mine and was excited when I asked what color she wanted me to make the same sweater for her son, my other nephew. When it was done, I sent pics to her for final approval...she was over the moon (and I'm thinking, who is this person?) so today I shipped off the sweater to her...

My point is this...you know how our parents would say to someone who would laugh at our antics and jokes, "Don't encourage her?" Well think about that for a minute...we all need encouragement to do whatever it is we want to do but think maybe we're not good enough, or maybe people aren't into that type of thing or whatever...but sometimes, we have to be our own cheerleader. I most certainly had to be my own cheerleader many times...most especially before the internet and sites like Crochetville.

Remember this too, I don't care how much you try to make life wonderful for your child...I don't care if you sew like a dream or crochet works of art akin to Michaelangelo...people and kids in particular are cruel...sometime it is jealousy...sometimes it's just being insecure, sometimes it's just intolence of anything different. It wouldn't matter if your daughter was decked out in the best clothes, or raggedy clothes...someone would pick on her just on general principals...so my point is, don't let that EVER stop you from doing what you love to do. EVER.

I've had a drive to create from an incredibly early age, even before I'd ever had any notion of what it meant to create. It was almost 30 years before I'd admit I had any kind of skill or natural talent or ability...possibly an artist...none of that mattered...I just wanted needle and thread, or knitting needles and yarn or crochet hook and yarn and just make magic...I didn't realise until just the past couple of years that that is so part of my DNA that truly wild horses would not be able to stop me from creating. They might for a little while, but never for very long. I hear a siren's call to return to my sewing machine or my crochet hooks or my knitting needles after an absence of any lenght of time.

I'm glad I never gave up because if I had, I wouldn't have had the most wonderful time teaching my sister how to crochet or had the joy of crocheting a sweater for my darling nephew and the feeling of being sincerely loved and appreciated by his mother when she admired my work...it's been worth the "40 years in the wilderness..."

Take a break, catch a breath and then pick up a hook and yarn and just make something for you to enjoy!

sometimes we all need to step back from our lives and just renew our love for life. the walk with your daughter, seeing the sun, and doing other things that you dont normally take time for can be alot of help. the old saying take time to smell the roses..we are all too busy and sometimes our bodies tell us it is time to slow down. do you have a good friend near by? spend sometime talking to her and hug your loved ones. LIFE IS GOOD.

I call it "losing my MOJO". Yes, I've had it, but I don't think it's lasted quite that long. The cause is usually being tired of doing the SAME THING, or things of the same type. I have to find something new to do, something that energizes me. Sometimes it's a small thing, sometimes large - whatever gets me excited. Sit for a moment with your yarn and your pattern books and see what gets you going. :D

Hey Christina! Here is MY idea, just look around at ALL the people who have worked your patterns, I LOVE your plus sized patterns, and have made SEVERAL of the sweater ones, PLEASE don't give up, your a wonderfuly talented designer...take a break, and then get back and work us "fluffy gals" some more stuff...

HUGS!!!

JoAnn

all this encouragement helps.. lol.. but not so much in crochet for me but my jewelry making.. that has been my passion since I was a teenager (many moons ago) I have actually had my own bussiness since 1997 but last fall I got discouraged by all the jewelry making when there were a few people who looked at my stuff as if it were inferior since it is made by me and not some famous store and expect me to practically give the items away since it is a rose and thistle creation. since that time have not made much at all except cheap single strand stuff ( not my usual time invested pieces of art), and that is why I took up crochet last fall to get my mind of the jewelry depression... but you know what after all the encouragement I see here I think after my swaps are done it is time to get back to bussiness again and keep my crochet for a hobby lol

My answer is always, take a break. Read more, or whatever other things you like to do. Sometimes just vegging is good.

This is so true. We've all had them and sometimes it takes a long time to get back to that hook. I always feel very guilty if I don't update my website once a month so I understand where you're coming from.

Archived