Cable needles

karebear

I think that is what they are called. I was watching Knitty Gritty the other day and they made a hat with circular/cable needles. How much different are they to use? I would love to make this hat but don't have the needles yet and I am afraid of using them. What do you use? Do you like them?

Karin, I'm using them for the first time to make the ballet camisole (there's a thread in here on it), and they're not difficult to use. The shortness of the needle at first seems odd, but I think I'm used to that now. I just bought Susan Bates ones because I (gasp!) like aluminum needles. A friend of mine has the whole Denise set but doesn't seem overwhelmed since she doesn't like plastic and otherwise would only use wooden needles. Do you know someone you can borrow them from? Mine weren't expensive, just about $5, but there are so many different cable lengths that I could see myself getting out of hand and buying every size, every length, even if I didn't need them. Patty

I got rid of all my straight knitting needles and only use circs now. Really nice when you have to put your work down and you can push it to the middle and it wont fall off as easily.

Blessings,

Kath

This is exactly what I did too. As soon as I discovered circs I put away the straights, and that's been three years ago. They weigh less and take up less room to knit (because they aren't flappin' like wings next to you.)

:bounce

I think the reason I hate them so much (I really do!) is because it is so hard to always have EXACTLY the needle size and EXACTLY the cable size you need for any given project. Instead of just size 8 needles (DPNs or straight) with cables you need size 8 in 12", 16", 24", 29", etc.. Then you need size 7 needles in all those lengths, and size 6 needles in all those lengths....well you get the picture.

One solution is an interchangeable set - different size needles and different size cables that you switch up to get what you need. But I guess the Boye set I use is just crummy because whenever I'm knitting the needle wants to come unscrewed from the cable. Then it wants to start catching my yarn where it is connected. Then the cable wants to twist and curl. ARRRGGGHHH! I have never enjoyed using them, although I can see how they would be easier IF you have the sizes you need and IF you are using a good quality set of cables.

(Mostly I stick to DPNs for round knitting like hats)

I love circular needles! My straight needles are collecting dust at the moment. As others already said, these circs are great if you knit long projects. They do save you lots and lots of wrist work. Plus they're not as bulky to store. If you travel with your WIP, I guest most airports will let you slide through with a wooden pair of circular needles.

I have some of 'KnitPicks' Options .and they still come unscrewed. I just keep a close eye on them. the flex and lack of memory in the cable is a huge plus. I have found that your options for cable length does not cover every cable size, but I just push more stitches on the closest size.

I got my Knit Picks Options set for my birthday and I absolutely love them:manyheart

I had been buying individual cabled needles and yes it can become a bit expensive. The thing I love about the Kint Picks set is that the cables don't coil up on you and the additional cables are inexpensive to add to the initial set. I have no problem with them coming "unscrewed".

I too have put away my straights and use cabled needles for everything now. The only straights I use now are my DPNs when neessary.

I don't know what it is with those needles coming unscrewed! I have to stop every couple of rounds and tighten them up. Also, it always catches the yarn there.

I got the little accessory kit for the circular sets and there is a "tightening" tool but heck if I know what to do with it, there aren't any directions. I tried inserting it in the little hole at the base of the connection, but then what? It doesn't do anything!

If I could get that figured out I might have a whole new attitude toward circs. I want to KNIT, not wrestle with yarn and cables!

No, for some reason I just don't get it. The needle just screws onto the end of the cable. I don't get where inserting that little pin into the hole helps you tighten it. I don't know why I just don't get it! But thanks!

When I make crocheted pullovers, I like to add knitted cuffs and collars. The circulars are so great. I only knit simple things like K2P2 but the circulars are the best for what I do.

No, for some reason I just don't get it. The needle just screws onto the end of the cable. I don't get where inserting that little pin into the hole helps you tighten it. I don't know why I just don't get it! But thanks!

The pin gives you leverage so you can tighten it dow. Don't over tighten because that can actually srtip the screw.

Just insert the pin then use it to tighten as you would use the wings on a fly nut. Then when unscrewing the needle, use the pin to provide the leverage to loosen.

I LOOOOVE circular needles! I'm a beginner and I did a few projects using straight needles (heavy, and took forever to get my tension correct) but I just started a new project. Sigh, didn't have the size in straight so I used a size 9 circular needle for the first time! I LOOOOOOOV it. The stitches look great and it was so much easier. Like everyone else, I didn't have to worry about drop stitches and it was so much lighter.

I can't say enough about them!

I got mine yesterday in the mail. I am not sure if I like them or not. My problem that I am having is the I don't feel like I have enough room to move my needles the right way. All I am doing right now is a K2P2 for the bottom part of the hat, and my stitches are getting so tight because I can't move my needle like I am use too. I might frog what I have done so far and start over again and make a larger size just so that I can get use to them. I have noticed though that the one needle end does seem to come unscrewed.

I got mine yesterday in the mail. I am not sure if I like them or not. My problem that I am having is the I don't feel like I have enough room to move my needles the right way. All I am doing right now is a K2P2 for the bottom part of the hat, and my stitches are getting so tight because I can't move my needle like I am use too. I might frog what I have done so far and start over again and make a larger size just so that I can get use to them. I have noticed though that the one needle end does seem to come unscrewed.

If you are talking about the Knit picks set the shortest cable length that comes in the set is 24". Could be you are using too long of a cable for the circumference of the hat. You could go up a size in cable length so you could do the magic loop method.

When making hats I use a 13" or 16" cable needle.

Well, I just frogged what I did and I am glad that I did. Mainly because I tried the hat on (the one that I frogged) and it was definitely too small. I think that my problem is a few things: one this is my first project with these types of needles (Boye Knit Pack), and two I am working with double yarn (also a first), three the type of knitting that I do. I think that I need to work a mixed knitting style and that might also help. But thank you everyone. I will let you know how I make out.

Angie "You could go up a size in cable length so you could do the magic loop method." I just saw a video on how to do this. Is it possible to do it with a large hat? I am using a 24 inch cable (I think), I casted on 76 and I am using a 2 strands of yarn. This cable is just a hair small, but I do find that I am able to move a little better. When doing the magic loop method, do you always have the end at the tip of the needles where you joined at? does it matter? since it is already joined.

Angie "You could go up a size in cable length so you could do the magic loop method." I just saw a video on how to do this. Is it possible to do it with a large hat? I am using a 24 inch cable (I think), I casted on 76 and I am using a 2 strands of yarn. This cable is just a hair small, but I do find that I am able to move a little better. When doing the magic loop method, do you always have the end at the tip of the needles where you joined at? does it matter? since it is already joined.

Once it's joined I don't think it matters where the ends are. It's just easier to keep track of your rounds taht way but you could just use a stitch holder.

circular needles (a cable needle is something else and im sure you will learn about that later) they make your hands hurt less than straight needles (i always get a wicked pain in the side of my hand if i use them so i dont anymore) and dont be afraid they arent rocket science and besides if you screw up the first few times all it is is one or two little rips and you start over tada doesnt ruin the yarn or anything!

Archived