Made a hook, Inspired by Jimbo's hooks

I had written a pm to Jimbo asking advice, He sugested that the advice might be good for all here, so I will copy paste and add my finished project.

Quote:

Originally Posted by justwantacraft

Hello Jimbo, first of all your hooks are amazingly beautiful, And you have inspired me to try a hand at this my self so all day long I been at it widdle'in a chopstick. Its wonderfull how its turning out well this is my like 3rd try but hey, Iam becoming proud of this effort. So my question is this: I have some natural bee's wax coming a small amount in the mail and I have some stain, well its a stain pen for wood. So if I decide to, should I stain and sand and stain then wax and wax. Oh I should mention I have some chops sticks that are white birtch and this one I think is bambo...that Im working on.

This is going to be a gift. What Im planing to do is when I get the hook done (lots more sanding to do) then I am going to make my daughter a shawl with the hook and then give her the shawl and the hook for birthday. I think its great so excited. But if I decide to do any stain or wax. I wanted to ask you first.

Thanks so very much for your time. I will surely post a picture when I get the project done.

Maria

His reply:

Re: crochet hook advice

You know, it might be informative to other whittlers to have this info made public in the Ville, if you wouldn't mind repeating the question there. But if you do, please pm me so i'll know the post is there and not miss it.

Anyways, here's what i recommend.

I personally don't use stains on any of my hooks, ever. But that's not to say that you can't. If you want to use a stain or dye, be sure you apply it before you apply beeswax... the stain won't absorb well through the wax. Sand, Stain, then your Beeswax. Note that some woods, Birch being one, are notorious for taking stain unevenly. So if you want to stain a blotchy prone wood like Birch (or Cherry's one that likes to blotch too), I'd suggest you apply a sanding sealer before staining.

I don't use Beeswax anymore. I used to, but have found that poly-oil finishes give a harder more durable surface for some of the softer woods such as birch. The trick with either one is to rub it on till your rag gets hot. The heat, i've found causes the finish to absorb more deeply into the grain and the finish becomes VERY smooth.

Hope that answers your questions.

Good luck with the whittling!

Jimbo

my reply:

Thanks so very much for the advice Jimbo, I have finished the hook and just wanted to get started with the project. So there is no stain on this one or anything. It is the white birtch wood and very soft. I have to try at many more to get the hook shape that I like the best. It is very rewarding to do it. I recomend every crocheter to try one. Feels great to make a project with the hook you also made.

hookproject019small.jpg?t=1203811144

hookproject001.jpg?t=1203811291

hookproject012small.jpg?t=1203811408

hookproject016small.jpg?t=1203811886hookproject013small.jpg?t=1203812034

The hook is sorta on the square side and very lite. This yarn is amazing soft and beautiful.

That is beautiful! I wouldn't worry about putting stain on because wood darkens with time anyway.

It never has occurred to me to try cutting down a chop stick. I love it! Your work looks great! I see you have the deeper throat like the Susan Bates hooks, so what a great custom made idea.

I am so tickled to see your pictures. Thank you for showing us.

Such beautiful hooks from such humble disposable chopsticks. Amazing.

I started on a hook based on Jimbo's tutorials on his blog, like 2 years ago, but never finished it. It should have been easier than yours because it was a lot bigger. You put me to shame. :blush Perhaps I will dig it up and try again.

WOW!! Your hook turned out so awesome! It looks wonderful! Will you adopt me? I am jealous! I am going to have to try one this spring... I was just telling my husband last nite that I thought about taking up whittling... He thought I'd flipped! I wasn't thinking about hooks! This will flip his lid! LOL! By the way... what pattern and yarn are you using? The stitches in your photo are as amazing as your hook! Your daughter is very lucky!

Thanks again, EVERYONE! I ask Jimbo would it be ok I should put the link here for his orginal, Make a Jimbo Hook. He wrote this: Absolutely! I also wrote an article for Craft with a very similar tutorial for those who'd like

a hard copy handy. Its at page 130 of "Craft: transforming traditional

crafts" volume 4. I'm happy to help crochetiers make their own hooks.

As you know its a really rewarding experience. And if you use wood that

has special meaning, well it almost becomes a religious experince.

Jimbo

Here is that link:

http://jimbosfrontporch.blogspot.com/2006/08/hook-in-progress-gone-to-crick-be-back.html

To answer some question for everyone,The pattern for the shawl is here:

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=87&d_id=5〈=us

The yarn is Patons SWS the color is Natural Crimson, I think the hook that I made and using is like a size I or so.. I haven't learned how to make size of hook yet. The yarn is so beautifull for this project. The colors graduate

so gracefully. I use 2 balls for the project, with H and I hook. As I did the project before here below is the photo of the first one. The stitch is called the lover's knot or Soloman's knot.

workofart001.jpg?t=1203894905

That one was my first one: This one with the handmade hook is almost done My hook I think is like size I that I made.

ANTHRILLIEL: Thank you, I used the tools below to make the hook, Im calling them girl tools for now. I made a 45 degree cut first with my handy dandy serrated paring knife from my kitchen. Then sand paper with tape on the back (per Jimbo sugestion) so that I could roll and or fold a tiny tiney strip of sand paper to start working on the curve of the hook. When I have that pretty ok then I widdle off some of the top and start sanding that the shape of hook head. As you can see by tools below I used some emery boards as well they are very helpfull.

hookproject024small.jpg?t=1203892969

I read Jimbo tutorial was great (link above)

I got out a hook and started study it while I widdle, sand , etc.

you have to shape your hook and everything litlle by little it is alot of sanding and shaping. It is very relaxing like crochet.

toolsfor.jpg?t=1203893110

CAROVAN: Thank-you, and I think the hook is size I or so.

I did teach daughter to crochet and boy she took like duck to water. She also talked of me leaving a legacy, So I really only thought of this whole Idea of the hook and the project on friday. My other daughter she is a quilter. Yes, she will be very excited I did the hook. I'm very proud too.

SAKURASKU: Thank you, hope you do get out that hook and get started, you'll really enjoy it.

SPRAT605: Thank you, also and my huband thought I nuts too...

But now he gets it.... Plus I think he knows that everytime I start a new project it cost him money...lol The pattern is above and the info for the stitches.

Well, today I bought a woodburner pen type thing. oh my god she's going to attempt to....... I had a cupon.., I listen the voices in my head, they are always getting me in trouble.. lol

Have great day or eve..

Archived