question about a ghan I rescued

I found this afghan at a flea market a couple of days ago. It fits a twin size bed, and I think it is made of Lionbrand Homespun. I actually have two questions,

1. The afghan edges are curved and rounded, not straight, would adding a border straighten it out at all??

2. It shows some signs of wear, lots of fuzzies, is there any way to fix that?

Other than that, I thought it was an excellent find, and it only cost me $1.50. I had to rescue it, it looks like somebody put alot of time and work into it.

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p122/mva5493/?action=view&current=DSCN4192.jpg

Some of the squares (left side of photo) look like the crocheter messed up the count. Wash it, lay it flat and try to "block" the squares on that side. If that doesn't work, see if you could take some out and fix them. A black border would look nice too.

Ellie 13

I think I'd try to add a border and try to even it out by doing dc in the joins (or a longer stitch) working down to sc in the straightaways. I'd try shaving it GENTLY to get rid of the fray. It has really pretty colors. If you do something with it, show us when you're done. :)

wow, thanks for all the replies. I think washing and a little tlc is just what it needs. Maybe a slight border because some of the edges look like they may unravel if left unattended. I thought the colors were great, and after seeing this ghan I am really thinking I may try the lumberjack flannelghan that was posted somewhere on here. :) I have not blocked anything before, so not sure about that, should learn sometime I suppose.:yes

Just wash it on gentle and lay it out flat to dry. Gently stretch it into the position you want it to dry in.

I would seriously do a border. It'll finish the ghan, it'll make it much stronger and sturdier and help it to last.

As far as fuzzies - maybe a sweater shaver or really careful with tiny scissors.

The flannelghan is here http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42711&highlight=flannelghan

Wow, It sure looks like someone put a lot of time and love (and money if it's homespun.LOL) into that ghan. I think it's pretty and I would difinitely put a border around it to try and "even" it out a little. Oh and if it's homspun, it will probably always have "fuzzies". Something you just have to learn to ignore and live with. LOL

Congrats on a great find!

Debby

I will try to wash and then lay flat to dry, would it help to put the border on before or after the washing? and can this be put in the dryer? I haven't used homespun, but I do think that is was this is. The variegated looks a lot like one I was looking at in wal-mart last week.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, I knew this would be the place to find answers.:)

I think I would put a border on it to try and even up the edges and reinforce them. For what you paid, I think it's worth the investment of time and yarn. Homespun is definitely fuzzy-it's the nature of the beast. Enjoy your bargain!

Archived