I really wish there were bigger counters...

Sockmad

What I want is one that has at least three if not four numbers in a row instead of just two. Yes I have used more than one counter at a time but that is a royal pain. Especially when I put a project down for awhile. When a pattern says chain 128 and then crochet for 100 plus rows I want just one counter. Anyone else ever wish for this or maybe know where one could get one? :think

I don't want an electronic one, I work in electronics I know what can happen to those things. If somebody can make an electronic one why can't they make a manual one. I bet if I emailed Lion Brand or Boye all I would get is some dumb form email reply. :(

There used to be a plastic 3 digit counter that I used to use while grocery shopping...used to go clicking around as I added an item to my cart, lol. It was sort of rectangular with 3 buttons/keys on top. Haven't noticed so don't know if they still make them. Lost mine a long time ago. It wouldn't hang onto knitting needles, but would still be useful for crochet. You might still be able to find one at Dollar General or Dollar Tree. I think they used to have them hanging on some of the grocery store shelves.

Beverly

Thanks one and all. I think I'll try the dollar stores they fit my budget better. :)

I just googled tally counters. If you want to pay around $6.50 for one, you probably can find them in office supply or sporting good stores. They aren't quite the same style I described previously. The Dollar stores may also carry them. Just know the departments that are likely to have some sort of tally counter - even Walmart or Target may have them in their sporting goods section. Possibly also in the school supply section at Dollar stores. Another place to check/watch would be a thrift/second hand store.

Good luck. Hope you find an affordable one that does what you want.

Beverly

I use my stitch markers. I put one on the first row and when I have 10 rows I put on another. Then I can just count by 10's to see how many rows I have. I can even use my row counter inbetween, and put on a stitch marker. I have some lovely ones that were made for me from swaps and some I have made myself. Practically free!! :manyheart

I use my stitch markers. I put one on the first row and when I have 10 rows I put on another. Then I can just count by 10's to see how many rows I have. I can even use my row counter inbetween, and put on a stitch marker. I have some lovely ones that were made for me from swaps and some I have made myself. Practically free!! :manyheart

That's a great system. Nothing is better than practically free or FREE! :)

Beverly

:thinkWhy do you need a row counter?

:thinkWhat if you forget to turn the counter occasionally?

You have the piece of work so why not just learn how to count the rows on there.

If you are just working in SCs, you will see a difference where you have worked back along the row so, with the right side facing, (hook on the right if right handed, wrong side row just completed) you will see the ridge formed by the first two rows. Count all the ridges and double it and you will have the row number.

Mark the last row with a safety pin and write down how many rows, then you can do the same from there until you get the number of rows you need.

Do the same with fancy patterns, work out the repeats then count how many repeats you have and you are done.

:eekRow counters work better for knitting but can still be a pain in the neck.:eek

Another method, if you dont like my other suggestions is, put a safety pin on every 10th row, then count the pins and multiply by 10.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I think I may have mentioned this before but if I am being redundent I'm sorry. I have a learning disability with math. Row counters are easier for me. I have trouble counting the actual rows I always get mixed up. So if I have a visual aid I do much better. I have learned how to compensate for this disability over the years but I still am a real visual learner when it comes to counting. Thanks for all the input. :)

I think I may have mentioned this before but if I am being redundent I'm sorry. I have a learning disability with math. Row counters are easier for me. I have trouble counting the actual rows I always get mixed up. So if I have a visual aid I do much better. I have learned how to compensate for this disability over the years but I still am a real visual learner when it comes to counting. Thanks for all the input. :)

My daughter has a learning disability too (dyslexia) I taught her to make a tickmark on a 3X5 card and when she got to 10 she put on a stitch marker, safety pin, or whatever, and then she started over. It worked for her!! a lot of times when you are doing a lot of rows I really like it when the pattern tells you how many inches to do. That works better for me!! Good luck with counting!!!!! :hug

My daughter has a learning disability too (dyslexia) I taught her to make a tickmark on a 3X5 card and when she got to 10 she put on a stitch marker, safety pin, or whatever, and then she started over. It worked for her!! a lot of times when you are doing a lot of rows I really like it when the pattern tells you how many inches to do. That works better for me!! Good luck with counting!!!!! :hug

Many times I, too, put a safety pin at 10 or 20 row intervals. It's not that I have any trouble counting, but inevitably when I'm trying to count stitches or rows my husband will just have to talk to me. You'd think he'd know better since he grew up with a mother who knit and crocheted whenever she took time to sit. :think So, I just do it to save myself having to start over half a dozen times.

• 2 weeks later...

I know someone who uses an abacus. The idea of sliding over a wooden bead that I can see appeals to me. Sometimes clicking that little counter, or reading it, isn't so convenient.

Archived