Scarves for victims of abuse, pattern ideas added post 963

grannyannie

Hello Ann,

Okay - I'll help to get The Great August Challenge rolling! I'll send you at least five, hopefully more. I have my yarn lined up and now all I have to do is transform it into some cheery scarves.

COME ON, SCARFIES!!

We can hit 50 scarves by August!!

LOL! Thank you! What a smile you have brought to my face! The ladies of the 'ville are the greatest!!! :cheer

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When asked for input they are requesting some with patterns on them for children such as flowers or Mickey Mouse, Pooh Bear, that type of thing. I told them about the trade mark being an obstacle, but we could work something out. I don't have any patterns like this so if any of you know some that are free/free links could you please pass them on?

I agree on the trademark issue, but.....I have a machine embroidery sewing machine and I also knit so as long as I have purchased the cards like disney, I am allowed to use them on products. This is "just" an idea, but let me throw it out to you. If you go to my blog, you will see a knitted 6" square with the machine embroidery on it. I finished all 4 sides so they could easily be picked up for an edge or sewing in of an afghan, I think this would work pretty well for a scarf by doing the square and then adding to the top of it in crochet to finish the scarf.

http://cindybmw2004.blogspot.com/2008/07/end-of-june-projects-still-busy.html

http://cindybmw2004.blogspot.com/2008/06/busy-week-of-finished-objects-yeah.html

I don't have alot of "character" cards, but children's designs are pretty easy to come by, like firetrucks, dollies, teddy's, etc. I would be glad to help by doing up squares and putting a design on it and sending someone to finish the scarf in crochet if that will help on your cause. Would probably need to know what yarn and color they wanted and if I had it. LOL I pretty much have most of the common RH and SS colors.

Does this make sense?

When asked for input they are requesting some with patterns on them for children such as flowers or Mickey Mouse, Pooh Bear, that type of thing. I told them about the trade mark being an obstacle, but we could work something out. I don't have any patterns like this so if any of you know some that are free/free links could you please pass them on?

I agree on the trademark issue, but.....I have a machine embroidery sewing machine and I also knit so as long as I have purchased the cards like disney, I am allowed to use them on products. This is "just" an idea, but let me throw it out to you. If you go to my blog, you will see a knitted 6" square with the machine embroidery on it. I finished all 4 sides so they could easily be picked up for an edge or sewing in of an afghan, I think this would work pretty well for a scarf by doing the square and then adding to the top of it in crochet to finish the scarf.

http://cindybmw2004.blogspot.com/2008/07/end-of-june-projects-still-busy.html

http://cindybmw2004.blogspot.com/2008/06/busy-week-of-finished-objects-yeah.html

I don't have alot of "character" cards, but children's designs are pretty easy to come by, like firetrucks, dollies, teddy's, etc. I would be glad to help by doing up squares and putting a design on it and sending someone to finish the scarf in crochet if that will help on your cause. Would probably need to know what yarn and color they wanted and if I had it. LOL I pretty much have most of the common RH and SS colors.

Does this make sense?

Cindy, those squares are beautiful! What a wonderful idea! So, if I understand correctly (forgive me, I don't know very much about knitting :think) I would be able to, say, put a row of sc on the top of the square to attach/finish the scarf? It sounds easy enough, lol! I make most of my scarves with CSS and will try to match colors to whatever you use! :hug

Yes exactly. Example, say you wanted to do a pink scarf, I would make the 6" square (it's the easiest for math for me! LOL) and it has 27 stitches. I would send the square to you and you would just join the yarn and start crocheting away. The top is finished and because of the bind-off technique I would use, it will look "almost" exactly like a single crochet, so pretty easy to just join and crochet. Let me know, and I'll work one up for you and send to you for you to try. Then you can post or pm me with your thoughts. Anyways, if you want to try, pm me your address and I'll work one up for you. The kitty one is always a favorite for little girls and my "little girl" is 24 and it's still her favorite! LOL

Oh yes, I do also crochet as you could see by my blog, but i know me, and I don't think I would have the patience to crochet a scarf, I would put it down, so it would probably be best for me to do the squares if you ever wanted anything finished. LOL That's why I do alot of squares here, I can do a bunch in a little time and not lose interest. Maybe that's why hubby has never gotten a knitted sweater from me? LOL

Yes exactly. Example, say you wanted to do a pink scarf, I would make the 6" square (it's the easiest for math for me! LOL) and it has 27 stitches. I would send the square to you and you would just join the yarn and start crocheting away. The top is finished and because of the bind-off technique I would use, it will look "almost" exactly like a single crochet, so pretty easy to just join and crochet. Let me know, and I'll work one up for you and send to you for you to try. Then you can post or pm me with your thoughts. Anyways, if you want to try, pm me your address and I'll work one up for you. The kitty one is always a favorite for little girls and my "little girl" is 24 and it's still her favorite! LOL

Oh yes, I do also crochet as you could see by my blog, but i know me, and I don't think I would have the patience to crochet a scarf, I would put it down, so it would probably be best for me to do the squares if you ever wanted anything finished. LOL That's why I do alot of squares here, I can do a bunch in a little time and not lose interest. Maybe that's why hubby has never gotten a knitted sweater from me? LOL

Thank you, again for the offer! Sending you a PM in a minute with my addy! I enjoyed checking out your blog, btw! Your grandson is a cutie!!! And your car is fantastic! LOL!

My grandson is adorable (cee-cee pride there! LOL) I don't want to be called grandma so we agreed to be called ceecee. :)

Square is in the mail. I took a picture, but will post later tonight. I would change a couple of things on it, but overall I think it will work. Let me know what you think when you get it! :)

:cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

Go Scarfies, go!!!

Show and tell

I've got 6 done and two more half done. I would like to hit ten by the 20.07, because that's the latest date to post them, in order for them to arrive before the beginning of August (darned airmail!)

(As you can see, Ann, I like colours. I just hope they're not too bright...)

What kinds of yarn are you all using on your scarves? I know the emphasis is on soft yarns, but I have boxes full of Red Heart and am building a stash of Simply Soft, Bernat Chunky, and Homespun..so I wonder what ya'll are using.

Grannyannie will be able to tell you what yarns she and the others are using. I'm not in the USA, so I use a kind of acrylic yarn as well, but it's softer and little lighter than RHSS. I have lots of fun yarn but I can't crochet with it.

:cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

Go Scarfies, go!!!

Show and tell

I've got 6 done and two more half done. I would like to hit ten by the 20.07, because that's the latest date to post them, in order for them to arrive before the beginning of August (darned airmail!)

(As you can see, Ann, I like colours. I just hope they're not too bright...)

Your scarves are beautiful!!! Thank you so much!!! :hug

What kinds of yarn are you all using on your scarves? I know the emphasis is on soft yarns, but I have boxes full of Red Heart and am building a stash of Simply Soft, Bernat Chunky, and Homespun..so I wonder what ya'll are using.

I use mostly Simply Soft and Homespun. If I use RHSS I usually use a larger hook as I think it makes it feel softer (IMHO). I have used Bernat chunky too! that's wonderful! I honestly don't know what all the yarns are that I receive :think. I'm guessing SS, Homespun, RH, fun fur, some wonderful soft baby weight yarn, Peaches & Cream cotton, and Baby Clouds! There has been some wonderfully soft scarves sent, but I'm just terrible at guessing yarns! Maybe some folks will pop in and let us know what they've used. :hug

OH, I've noticed that the RHSS will usually soften up nicely after washing if I use a larger hook, too!

I tried the idea posted upthread about using two strands of Redheart SS and was pleased with the results, although I haven't washed it yet... I should do so to see how it softens. I would so suggest Vanna's Choice, as I recently made a Gryffindor Scarf for my son, and I really love how soft that stuff is, and how nice it is to use. It isn't as inexepensive as Redheart SS or Caron's SS, but if one finds a good sale...:cheer Bernat Softee Chunky is amazingly 'pettable' even before washing. I Love This Yarn comes very close and is nice to work with too. Very prettiful as one of my daughters puts it. If Donald Trump would just lend me his checkbook for a few hours.....:lol

Oh btw, I have several small skeins of chenille type yarn that would be perfect for scarves, but there's not enough of a single color and they clash with one another. I've not mastered granny squares yet and they really are too chunky for that anyway...would it be ok to just make a 12 inch square in a sc or hdc, just to make something soft? Nothing fancy..

I tried the idea posted upthread about using two strands of Redheart SS and was pleased with the results, although I haven't washed it yet... I should do so to see how it softens. I would so suggest Vanna's Choice, as I recently made a Gryffindor Scarf for my son, and I really love how soft that stuff is, and how nice it is to use. It isn't as inexepensive as Redheart SS or Caron's SS, but if one finds a good sale...:cheer Bernat Softee Chunky is amazingly 'pettable' even before washing. I Love This Yarn comes very close and is nice to work with too. Very prettiful as one of my daughters puts it. If Donald Trump would just lend me his checkbook for a few hours.....:lol

Oh btw, I have several small skeins of chenille type yarn that would be perfect for scarves, but there's not enough of a single color and they clash with one another. I've not mastered granny squares yet and they really are too chunky for that anyway...would it be ok to just make a 12 inch square in a sc or hdc, just to make something soft? Nothing fancy..

I love trying new yarns, unfortunately we don't have many places to buy around here! I just placed an order online from JoAnn's and bought some Vanna's Choice for the first time! Hope it gets here soon!

About the squares.....the center usually likes the "lapsquares" to be at least 20", but I did bring in one that was 12" before because it was very soft and huggable! So, yes, if you wanted to make a square with the chenille I believe we could use it. Maybe I could try to match up a few squares to make a "mini lapghan"? If you didn't mind me using your square with others that I have/get...just and idea! :hug

I love trying new yarns, unfortunately we don't have many places to buy around here! I just placed an order online from JoAnn's and bought some Vanna's Choice for the first time! Hope it gets here soon!

About the squares.....the center usually likes the "lapsquares" to be at least 20", but I did bring in one that was 12" before because it was very soft and huggable! So, yes, if you wanted to make a square with the chenille I believe we could use it. Maybe I could try to match up a few squares to make a "mini lapghan"? If you didn't mind me using your square with others that I have/get...just and idea! :hug

These are fairly small skeins, so I worry about not getting a 20 inch square. I used two yesterday for a scarf and I think it it a tad too short. I'll send it anyway-the thing IS soft! I have no problem at all with you adding other squares to mine-just be sure to post pictures:hook

Maybe some folks will pop in and let us know what they've used.

I mostly use Caron Simply Soft but have also used Red Heart Plush. I have 5 done so far and hope to make a couple more this week. :hug

These are fairly small skeins, so I worry about not getting a 20 inch square. I used two yesterday for a scarf and I think it it a tad too short. I'll send it anyway-the thing IS soft! I have no problem at all with you adding other squares to mine-just be sure to post pictures:hook

Oooh, I can't wait to see/feel it! And I definitely will be posting pics this month. I'll make sure that my camera batteries are charged, lol!

I mostly use Caron Simply Soft but have also used Red Heart Plush. I have 5 done so far and hope to make a couple more this week. :hug

I figured that most of your's were CSS. Didn't know about the Red Heart Plush. I'm going to have to try some of that, too! You're little fingers must be aching with all this :crocheting you're doing!!! Hope you're doing something good for yourself! :hug

I figured that most of your's were CSS. Didn't know about the Red Heart Plush. I'm going to have to try some of that, too! You're little fingers must be aching with all this :crocheting you're doing!!! Hope you're doing something good for yourself! :hug

Actually, I bought a new toy this weekend (I love new toys). I got some Knifty Knitters. I made a double knit scarf yesterday with the long one. Boy, it's sooooo soft and thick. I'll post a pic after I put the fringe on it. I think I'm going to use it from now on when I want to make heavy winter scarves and hats. :yes

Actually, I bought a new toy this weekend (I love new toys). I got some Knifty Knitters. I made a double knit scarf yesterday with the long one. Boy, it's sooooo soft and thick. I'll post a pic after I put the fringe on it. I think I'm going to use it from now on when I want to make heavy winter scarves and hats. :yes

I like to make hats on the round looms..they go fast and its easier to use multi strands.. and bulky/fuzzy yarns are easier to work with as well. I have a hard time finishing off scarves on the looms...I am such a slow learner. Have fun with the looms; they're great!

You know, I have some KK's, but I haven't tried making scarves with them! Maybe it's time to dig it out of hiding, lol!

Ok, since I'm a total crochet only, what's a knifty knitter:think

I use RHSS and I bought the Bernet ww and chunky in pretty varigated just for making the scraves when AC Moore had a great sale on them. I only sent one to Ann (the pink and gray) done in that because I switched to baby yarn to make them lighter for the summer. I do have to say that Vanna's yarn is soft and it crochets very nice.

Ok, since I'm a total crochet only, what's a knifty knitter:think

I use RHSS and I bought the Bernet ww and chunky in pretty varigated just for making the scraves when AC Moore had a great sale on them. I only sent one to Ann (the pink and gray) done in that because I switched to baby yarn to make them lighter for the summer. I do have to say that Vanna's yarn is soft and it crochets very nice.

Knify knitters So easy a child can use, yet so versatile an adult can do even greater things.

Hi Everyone! Sorry that I'm so late today. I'm having a very challenging day!

I need everyones input, though! I received the sample square from Cindy (THANK YOU, Cindy!!!), and now I need to know what everyone thinks of how it's turning out. I've just been doing a basic DC with a row of SC thrown in every 5th row for variety, lol! I get so bored doing all one stitch, especially sc, but if you think that I should be doing sc on a child's scarf I'll frog it and start over. OK, time for input!!! The square is soooo cute, I really want to make this a nice scarf! Thanks in advance! :hug

th_miscjuly004.jpg

Archived