Scarves for victims of abuse, pattern ideas added post 963

grannyannie

By the way - do you think you'll donate everything you receive every month or keep some of the overflow from months like this to 'stock up' the lean months?

I was wondering the same thing. Since you have a surplus for August, maybe you should keep everything over 50 for the possible lean months. (Not that I'm trying to tell you what to do or anything! :eek Everything I say seems to come out bossy. :( I totally don't mean to be.) Ok, I'll shut up now. :lol

Hugs, :hug

Cherri

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was wondering the same thing. Since you have a surplus for August, maybe you should keep everything over 50 for the possible lean months. (Not that I'm trying to tell you what to do or anything! :eek Everything I say seems to come out bossy. :( I totally don't mean to be.) Ok, I'll shut up now. :lol

Hugs, :hug

Cherri

:lol You're not being bossy at all! LOL! I guess I just got carried away with the excitement! DH said the same thing to me :lol I think that you ladies are probably right and I should put the overflow aside. Wow, I never imagined I'd have this problem, lol! Isn't it wonderful :yay

Olivia, that's wonderful news about your sponsor!!! :cheerDoes she have any friends over here that would like to do the same, lol! :lol

Ann,

So glad to hear you made 50 and some to spare. I've got 3 done and will send out this week.

Yes Olivia they are addicting. I keep looking for new patterns and it's so much fun seeing how they turn out. I love being able to pratice new stitches all the time. I think what your friend is doing is great.

Ann,

So glad to hear you made 50 and some to spare. I've got 3 done and will send out this week.

Thank you, Pat! Looking forward to seeing them! I really appreacite it since I know that you don't like to :crocheting in this heat! And boy has it been hot!!! :hug

Hello Pat,

The 'sponsorship' is a nice idea, isn't it? Everyone benefits! When I was at college, I had a friend who collected money on the street for one of the large charities. She told me that they were told that only about 10c of every €1 gets to the people in need (? I have no proof of that but she claimed that a certain percentage must go towards overheads and what is left over is donated to charity) and since then I have been a bit wary of donating to some of the larger charities that are also ... well, businesses. Anyway, Sandra - my friend - is even more "suspicious" than I am, she prefers to do her good deeds directly. Lucky me. Some of the colours are too pale for scarves, they're more baby colours than scarf colours, so I whipped them up into starghans, which will be given away as well. Her €10 will go a long way. :clap

Hello dear friends! Well, I made the monthly delivery to the crisis center this morning! Let me tell you, they were amazed and thrilled at the amount of scarves, lol! After much discussion with my DH and with the counselors at the center, I decided to bring all the scarves in this month as originally planned for the S.A.A.B. meeting on Thursday. That way there will be enough for each crisis center to bring back some to show to their counselors and explain the whole idea behind Compassionate Creations (I hope! fingers and toes crossed! lol!)

AND GET THIS! WE ALREADY HAVE 60 SCARVES FOR SEPTEMBER! :clap These have come in since I finished the count for the August scarves on Saturday! :eek

Ok, hope I did this right! Today I'm trying a slide show for you guys! Hope it works, lol!

th_CompassionateCreationsforAugust001.jpg slideshow

Ann, that is great :clap:clap:clap

The 2 scarves I am making during the Games will be for you. If I have time, I will make more for you. I love making scarves :yes

Thank you so much! They are fun to make, aren't they :lol

Wow Ann!!! :eek That's spectacular!!!!!!!!!! :clap:clap:clap:cheer:cheer I'm just getting started on mine this month - sooooo much to make, so little time, lol!!!! :lol

Hi Cherri! Pretty incredible!!! :cheer

The counselors loved your scarf with the removable flower pin, btw!

I'm getting my yarn and patterns ready for the games, but do I really need to do 20 scarves now?! LOL!!! YOU BET I DO!!! :cheer:cheer:cheer

Ann,

That is wonderful news about all the scraves. Wow, a jump start and then some for September. I keep my toes and fingers crossed too. Wonderful news.:cheer:yay:cheer:clap

I'd love to make scarves for this! Do they have to be of a certain type? Can they be "fashion" scarves as well as wintery scarves?

Hello and Welcome! :cheer To answer your question, the scarves can be any almost any design you choose. Preferably they would be at least 4-5" wide and 60" long. A little longer or shorter is fine too. I would just stay away from the very short scarflet ones that are too much like chockers (did I spell that right?:think). And as always, I ask that the yarn be soft, since the scarves are our way of giving a hug, sort of like giving a "teddy bear" to the survivor to help them heal. Thank you for wanting to help. Just let me know when your ready and I'll PM my addy to you! :hug

Wow!! That's fantastic - so I'll have to change my addy to 'Fifty by October'!!

I'm really relieved because I wanted to write and excuse myself. I've been suffering with teeth problems and was too cranky to crochet. Between that and wedding preparations, I'm behind on everything.

But now I can go to Ireland with a clear conscience :D

Congratulations, Ann! (and thanks for the slide show. It looks like you've got a scarf shop at home :lol )

Wow!! That's fantastic - so I'll have to change my addy to 'Fifty by October'!!

I'm really relieved because I wanted to write and excuse myself. I've been suffering with teeth problems and was too cranky to crochet. Between that and wedding preparations, I'm behind on everything.

But now I can go to Ireland with a clear conscience :D

Congratulations, Ann! (and thanks for the slide show. It looks like you've got a scarf shop at home :lol )

Oh, Olivia, I hope you're feeling better soon! Tooth problems are soooo painful! Better take care of them before the wedding!!! What day are you getting married? Can't remember if you ever told us, lol! Have a safe trip home and a beautiful wedding! We'll be thinking of you! And I'll be expecting extra scarves in October young lady!!!! :lol (Just kidding in case you didn't know that!):hug:hug:hug

It did feel like a scarf shop in my house for a while :lol. My eldest son and his wife came out to help me on Sunday (THANK GOODNESS!!!) and we got everything packaged up. You should have seen us, lol! It was like a production line! :lol Talk to you later! :manyheart

Ann, I really like the slide show. Thanks so much!

You're very welcome! Glad you liked it! (And glad it came out, lol! I'm learning something new every day!) I've been thinking of you. Happy that to see you pop in! How are you doing?

Hi Everyone!

I know that some of you were wondering how the S.A.A.B. mtg went last week. I'm told that it went very well! :cheer There was a lot of good "chatter" going on about Compassionate Creations and the wonderful scarves that we are giving to the survivors. Everyone took scarves back to their crisis centers to show the other counselors. As I mentioned in an earlier post S.A.A.B. represents 17 crisis centers in the state! I hope to hear more as the month progresses.

I also want to thank everyone for all the help I have received. Every scarf is treasured!!! I know that I have been posting a large number of scarves received lately, but please don't stop sending them in. Every one of them will be used!!! :hug

Hi Everyone!

I know that some of you were wondering how the S.A.A.B. mtg went last week. I'm told that it went very well! :cheer There was a lot of good "chatter" going on about Compassionate Creations and the wonderful scarves that we are giving to the survivors. Everyone took scarves back to their crisis centers to show the other counselors. As I mentioned in an earlier post S.A.A.B. represents 17 crisis centers in the state! I hope to hear more as the month progresses.

I also want to thank everyone for all the help I have received. Every scarf is treasured!!! I know that I have been posting a large number of scarves received lately, but please don't stop sending them in. Every one of them will be used!!! :hug

Hi Ann! I'm so glad the meeting went well. Do you think some of the other centers will be requesting scarves, too? That would be AWESOME! Gee, I wonder if they have a center in the Beverly/Salem area (that's where I grew up). That would be ironic. :) Anyway, don't worry about me stopping. I'm in this for the long-haul. Although, I must say, this month isn't going too well (with the "games" and all). But I'll try to make up for it next month. :yes

Hi Ann! I'm so glad the meeting went well. Do you think some of the other centers will be requesting scarves, too? That would be AWESOME! Gee, I wonder if they have a center in the Beverly/Salem area (that's where I grew up). That would be ironic. :) Anyway, don't worry about me stopping. I'm in this for the long-haul. Although, I must say, this month isn't going too well (with the "games" and all). But I'll try to make up for it next month. :yes

Thank you, Cherri! As it looks right now, the center in Worcester has offered to be the "central" spot for pick up of scarves if any of the other centers are interested in them. Yes, I think that they will be asking for them! We'll know more by next month's meeting. I'm not sure if there's a center in the Beverly/Salem area. I'll try to find out. That would be something! Thanks for staying with this for the long-haul! Don't worry about this month. You've got your hands full, lol! :hug

Thought I'd give you all an update.....

I received a call from the crisis center yesterday. It seems that "business is booming" all of a sudden this month. That is not good news. Most of the scarves that I brought in at the beginning of the month are gone. Some of that was due to members of the S.A.A.B. meeting being allowed to take them back to their respective centers, but it doesnt' account for all 64 for that I brought in :(. They are hoping to get by for the remainder of the month with what is left. The good news is that I do have a good supply here from some very generous people! (Thank you!) Let's hope business slows done and supply continues to grow! Thank you all again for each and every scarf that you send! :hug

Hi Ann!!

I have completed 2 scarves during the Crochet Games for you. I have one other project to make, then I am going to make a few more for you.

Just wanted to let you know that you will be getting some from me.

Thank you, Mel! :hug

I love you avatar, btw, lol!!!! :cheer

I'm not much into weight lifting, but I thought the pic was great.

Love the bar of weights being held overhead with the rings right above it.

I have a lot of avatars for the Games :D

I change it daily.

Archived