Scarves for victims of abuse, pattern ideas added post 963

grannyannie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Knify knitters So easy a child can use, yet so versatile an adult can do even greater things.

Thank you for the info. I've seen them in stores but I never paid much attention.

I don't see a picture of how it's turning out?

Neither do I. I checked the site but didn't see it there either.

Hi Everyone! Sorry that I'm so late today. I'm having a very challenging day!

I need everyones input, though! I received the sample square from Cindy (THANK YOU, Cindy!!!), and now I need to know what everyone thinks of how it's turning out. I've just been doing a basic DC with a row of SC thrown in every 5th row for variety, lol! I get so bored doing all one stitch, especially sc, but if you think that I should be doing sc on a child's scarf I'll frog it and start over. OK, time for input!!! The square is soooo cute, I really want to make this a nice scarf! Thanks in advance! :hug

th_miscjuly004.jpg

looks great!!!!

looks great!!!!

Looks beautiful! I don't see anything wrong with dc for a child's scarf..I did my son's Gryffindor Scarf like that..or maybe I alternated between dc and sc. I like to do that, but I tend to forget which row I'm on. :lol

Question: I bought some chenille on ebay the other day and when it arrived I found it much thinner than I expected. I did a couple of sample swatches, and it would still make nice scarves, but they wouldn't be very thick/warm. Would it be better to concentrate on warmth over softness, or would it not be a problem if some scarves are thinner? Doubling the strands would be cost prohibitive..if nothing else, I might save this stuff back for gift items. The jury is still out!

Looks beautiful! I don't see anything wrong with dc for a child's scarf..I did my son's Gryffindor Scarf like that..or maybe I alternated between dc and sc. I like to do that, but I tend to forget which row I'm on. :lol

Question: I bought some chenille on ebay the other day and when it arrived I found it much thinner than I expected. I did a couple of sample swatches, and it would still make nice scarves, but they wouldn't be very thick/warm. Would it be better to concentrate on warmth over softness, or would it not be a problem if some scarves are thinner? Doubling the strands would be cost prohibitive..if nothing else, I might save this stuff back for gift items. The jury is still out!

Glad you like it! Regarding the chenille....softness wins out in my opinion! These scarves are used more for a "hug"/teddy bear effect than they are to warm the body. That's why I ask for soft yarns, so that it feels good/cuddly against the skin. :hug

That's really cute! Now I want a knitting machine!!!!!! :eek:lol

Why would you want a knitting machine? That square is hand knit :), although there are days when I am knitting a sweater that I wonder if I should buy a knitting machine. :lol

Why would you want a knitting machine? That square is hand knit :), although there are days when I am knitting a sweater that I wonder if I should buy a knitting machine. :lol

Ok, I'm an idiot and can't read! :lol You do machine embroidery, right? It's WONDERFUL!!! :clap I know I wouldn't have the patience to do that. The sewing machine is my nemesis. :angry You do it on a sewing machine, right? :think

You are not an idiot! :) To clarify, the square is knit and then I machine-embroider (similar to a sewing machine) on to it. It's a great way of adding detail into a hand-knit without doing intarsia. Intarsia is also called color-work. All those bobbles of yarn and trying to keep them straight...phew! I've done it, but only small projects! LOL I actually started doing the embroidery on my new grandson's blanket as the squares I knit were 7" squares, but there wasn't enough space for me to do the names and dates I wanted to do, so I thought about it, and figured I would try to embroider them on. It worked great. See picture here: http://cindybmw2004.blogspot.com/2008/01/baby-blanket-is-done.html

It's a family tree sort of thing going on! LOL

Then it kind of grew from there. So I've done a few squares for a couple of childrens afghans here and when grannyannie was talking about children's scarfs, I asked if she wanted to try. Rambling, aren't I?

Isn't it awesome the diversity within one simple project, in this case making scarves for a good cause? It is truly amazing to see us bouncing ideas off eachother and enouraging eachother to use our talents and skills to help others...you all are wonderful!:cheer

You are not an idiot! :) To clarify, the square is knit and then I machine-embroider (similar to a sewing machine) on to it. It's a great way of adding detail into a hand-knit without doing intarsia. Intarsia is also called color-work. All those bobbles of yarn and trying to keep them straight...phew! I've done it, but only small projects! LOL I actually started doing the embroidery on my new grandson's blanket as the squares I knit were 7" squares, but there wasn't enough space for me to do the names and dates I wanted to do, so I thought about it, and figured I would try to embroider them on. It worked great. See picture here: http://cindybmw2004.blogspot.com/2008/01/baby-blanket-is-done.html

It's a family tree sort of thing going on! LOL

Then it kind of grew from there. So I've done a few squares for a couple of childrens afghans here and when grannyannie was talking about children's scarfs, I asked if she wanted to try. Rambling, aren't I?

WOW!!!! I checked out your blog and you are AMAZINGLY TALENTED!!!! Everything is beautiful! I love your car, too. :yes:hug

Have you decided HOW you are going to join the other square on the other side?

Hee, hee, that's the next challenge! Shouldn't I just be able to pick up the stitches like I did to join this one? I'll switch back to sc for those last 2 rows.(that's how I started out).:hug

WOW!!!! I checked out your blog and you are AMAZINGLY TALENTED!!!! Everything is beautiful! I love your car, too. :yes:hug

Thanks. I looked at your blog also! WOW! That Aztec blanket is gorgeous and I love the squares. I'm still doing "flat" squares. I've done the fisherman's ring twice, but it comes out backwards? :( LOL I crochet left-handed so I'm not sure :think if that is the reason so I went back to flat squares. :lol

Hee, hee, that's the next challenge! Shouldn't I just be able to pick up the stitches like I did to join this one? I'll switch back to sc for those last 2 rows.(that's how I started out).:hug

But you are going to have to have a seam somewhere, perhaps at the neck? This is what I wasn't sure about. Didn't know if it would be better to have you crochet the scarf and then add the squares to the bottom of it perhaps with a slip-stitch (it's stronger) joining or attach the squares and crochet up half each side and join at the neck. If it was knit, I would do a kitchener stitch or mattress stitch to join, so wasn't sure how you were going to do it? :lol

Thanks. I looked at your blog also! WOW! That Aztec blanket is gorgeous and I love the squares. I'm still doing "flat" squares. I've done the fisherman's ring twice, but it comes out backwards? :( LOL I crochet left-handed so I'm not sure :think if that is the reason so I went back to flat squares. :lol

I'm left handed, too! You must be super intelligent and creative!! :lol:lol :yes

But you are going to have to have a seam somewhere, perhaps at the neck? This is what I wasn't sure about. Didn't know if it would be better to have you crochet the scarf and then add the squares to the bottom of it perhaps with a slip-stitch (it's stronger) joining or attach the squares and crochet up half each side and join at the neck. If it was knit, I would do a kitchener stitch or mattress stitch to join, so wasn't sure how you were going to do it? :lol

Hmmm, better put my thinking cap back on, lol!:lol

Archived