Woolless Sheep

I just saw an article in today's newspaper about how there are so few sheep shearers anymore and that more woolless sheep are being kept instead.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h368qH-Ff7r4wUwc7ADUm1A3UegwD8TPP6DG0

That might explain any increase in wool prices for knitting or other products. By googling for more information I visited this site and they have a photo of them. Maybe some of our members know whether the hair from these other sheep is being used for knitting yarn. The article doesn't say.

http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/hairsheepprodmktg.html

Beverly

I am so glad I have been supporting my local Alpaca ranchers who sell spun yarn. I had been feeling guilty about not finding local sheep ranchers to buy finished yarn from, but if these articles are signs of the times, I will be working more and more with Alpaca.

oh the HORROR! I'm just getting into working with wool and would hate to have it be even more expensive.

I suggested to hubby that we move to a farm, raise WOOL sheep and that he learn how to sheer them. Unfortunately, he thought I was joking. :eek:no

I met a lady recently who said she raises hair sheep, and spins the hair. She said that it was actually wonderful to work with and that the meat tastes a lot better because there is no lanolin. Now I am determined to get my hands on some of that yarn.

Hmm, learn something new every day. I don't think I could work with wool, though. I know I can't wear it. Causes me to itch something fierce. Same with Alpaca...I'd be too afraid it would break me out to try it.

Heather

Hmm, learn something new every day. I don't think I could work with wool, though. I know I can't wear it. Causes me to itch something fierce. Same with Alpaca...I'd be too afraid it would break me out to try it.

Heather

Have you tried Merino wool? It's much softer than other types of wool. And people that I know who are sensitive to wool have no problem with the Merino.

I expect to continue using acrylics and cotton primarily. Might like to try bamboo yarn sometime. I have some Nononsense socks that are made of it...or a bamboo blend and they feel great. Might try pure wool sometime when I get around to trying felting.

Beverly

Last year we had a runaway hair sheep show up on our property. She was a beautiful rusty brown color. We called the livestock board to see if anyone had call in a "missing sheep report" :lol and the woman (the expert) told us that there is no such thing as a colored sheep "thier only white":huh Fortunatly the owners drove by and saw her.

My mom and I just looked at each other and laughed. There are more than 1,000 breeds of sheep so common sense says there will be a few colored ones.

Maybe some of our members know whether the hair from these other sheep is being used for knitting yarn. The article doesn't say.Beverly

Yes you can spin the hair, fact these sheep are great because many of the breeds don't need shearing just regular brushing. Some owners just let hair shed naturally and collect it.

http://www.sheep101.info/hair.html

Last year we had a runaway hair sheep show up on our property. She was a beautiful rusty brown color. We called the livestock board to see if anyone had call in a "missing sheep report" :lol and the woman (the expert) told us that there is no such thing as a colored sheep "thier only white":huh Fortunatly the owners drove by and saw her.

My mom and I just looked at each other and laughed. There are more than 1,000 breeds of sheep so common sense says there will be a few colored ones.

I thought that there were at least some black sheep. Guess the expert never heard the nursery rhyme Baa Baa Black Sheep. :lol Or never heard of the black sheep of the family.

Beverly

I thought that there were at least some black sheep. Guess the expert never heard the nursery rhyme Baa Baa Black Sheep. :lol Or never heard of the black sheep of the family.

Beverly

There are breeds of black, brown and STRIPED sheep.

They're even mentioned in the bible. (I think it's Jacob's FIL who splits his herd and gives Jacob the stripey ones, and keeps the solid color ones.)

There are differnt breads of sheep for different things. I'm pretty sure that the woolless sheep are for sheep that are meant to be for meat and milk. The sheep bred for wool to spin or felt are different. There are a few breeds out there that you can have for both. That kind of wool would be a standard no frills wool. In todays market you tend toward a breed of sheep that can make a luxury yarn rather than an all purpose yarn.

When I was at the MDSW festival the raw fleeces were selling for $400.00 and better and they were sold faster than lightning!!! I kid you not these fleeces were crazy expenisive and no one batted an eye when purchasing 2 or more of them. And not all of them were show winners either. And with all the new spinners out there I think more and more people are going to take an interest in wool. So we might get some new shearers out of it too!!

The hand spun yarns are becoming very popular among the knitters I know. Besides I just think the naked sheep are wrong!! I mean really naked sheep, thats like a bird with no feathers!! But I would like to spin the "hair" from one of those just to see what its like.

Imagine their embarassment! Now THERE'S a charity project! Crocheting sweaters for nekkid sheep! :rofl

Elle

In a Wallace and Gromit movie, they had to knit a sweater for a lamb that got away from rustlers. LOL.

Ellie 13

Archived