What is this??

So I came across this in a bag of yarn/thread/stuff that my grandmother got for me at an auction. There are two of them, and they're gorgeous IMHO, but I have no idea what exactly they are, or how I should use them. :think They're probably pretty old, so I'm libel to just wind up framing them (I love the colors :D), but I'd like to know for future reference... Any ideas?

ihavenoidea.jpg

I recognize the Irish-type rose at the center, but as for the piece as a whole, I'm at a complete loss.

I recognize the pattern from one of my books that took "old" pictures of crocheted items and provided a new pattern (some of it was guess work since they were looking at pictures and not the real object). The one in my book isn't as big as yours. If I remember right, the picture in my book was from a doily on a hall table.

It is so pretty that I would display where everyone can enjoy it. What a great find!!

Years ago, people would use doilies or runners on their bedroom furniture. They would put a long one on the dresser, a shorter one on the chest of drawers and of course smaller ones on the night tables. Sometimes they were crocheted, or made of lace or eyelet or some sheer fabrics. However due to the shape of these, they look like they might have been meant for end tables under a lamp, or on top of a server underneath a vase like someone else suggested. I think they would be lovely framed. My MIL had crocheted a sachet case out of tatting thread and my SIL thought it was so pretty, she framed it.

That's kind of what I was thinking... just an oblong doily/centerpiece. I just hadn't seen any quite like this, with the 3D center and the yoyo's or whatever you'd call them out from the center.

I'm definitely going to display them somewhere. Probably in a frame because with a preteen and a teen in the house at least every other weekend, things tend to get stained and dirty very very fast!! :P

Now... if anybody could point me to a pattern, I'd be thrilled! :hook

That is beautiful! We go to flea markets a lot, and I have seen bins of old crocheted doilies and table runners, etc. I bought a few and have one on top of my corner curio cabinet, and another on my dresser. You would be surprised at the women who still use these doilies on their furniture!

Archived