Do you...?

Pull from center unless unmanageable, then ball the yarn. Leftovers go into balls.

I am hoping for a yarn ball winder to make cakes. I got some cakes in an auction I bought, and I love the cakes. Yarn comes out so nice without having to tug or pull. As for balls I have an old coffee can that has a rolled edge (not sharp) I throw the ball in there and place it on the floor next to me. I crochet away without a problem or the ball rolling away. I took the label off the can and painted a simple design on it to make it look nice.

I usually just pull from the skein. However, be warned...last year I was knitting a skirt and sweater set for my GD with Caron Simply Soft. Several of the skeins were badly tangled in the middle and I had to waste a lot of time untangling and rewinding the yarn. It's the only brand that has caused me so much frustration. I like the way Red Heart Soft is wound and Lion Brand Jiffy yarn skeins come in the package.

Beverly

I prefer center pull skeins. Then I just pull right from that. Otherwise it's a toss up between making a center-pull ball or just working from the outside of the skein. Anymore, I'll generally take the time and make a center-pull ball if the skein's center pull isn't easily found.

• 2 weeks later...
A lot of times now, I go ahead and place the ball or skein I am working from into a plastic bag by itself. That way as it moves around as I pull the yarn off, it is not tangling with the rest of it's friends in the bigger bag. Works for me :)

This is what I do as well. I take zip-lock bags in the large size and I punch a hole in the heavy part right below the zipper with one of those one-hole-punch thingies. The reason for using the hole punch is not because it makes a perfectly round hole, but because it makes a clean hole. I initially tried just poking a hole, but with the ragged edge the hole would tear from the yarn pulling through it and the whole bag would eventually just tear open. The clean hole stays as a round hole and I can use the bag over and over. I use one bag per skein and it works wonderfully well to keep the skein or ball from flopping or rolling around on the floor and getting tangled up with any other skeins or balls I might be using. :)

Elle

I too pull from the center and wind leftovers into a ball. If I run into a yarn that is not a pull skein then I wind it into a ball.

One of my daughters bought me a, for lack of a better word, yarn holder. It is a plastic gallon size jar with a lid that has a hole in the top for you to thread your yarn through. It has a fairly big lid opening, so If I am working with a ball or a light colored yarn that I don't want to lay on the floor, I put it in this container. I need to find out where she got this and get a couple more for when I am working with more than one color of yarn.:hook

Wal-Mart has those. They are lik 8 bucks a piece. My dad's solution to yarn balls was a clean empty coffee can with the lid. He took the lid and punched a hole in it and then put a gromet in the hole so the edges would be smoothe so that the yarn won't catch on anything. Works like a charm. He made me 4 of them so that if I am making something using more than one strand it's easier to work with.

I too pull from the center and wind leftovers into a ball. If I run into a yarn that is not a pull skein then I wind it into a ball.

One of my daughters bought me a, for lack of a better word, yarn holder. It is a plastic gallon size jar with a lid that has a hole in the top for you to thread your yarn through. It has a fairly big lid opening, so If I am working with a ball or a light colored yarn that I don't want to lay on the floor, I put it in this container. I need to find out where she got this and get a couple more for when I am working with more than one color of yarn.:hook

I've seen them at Walmart! In the craft section.

I roll them all into balls:yarn:yarn first....and if I have a few skeins of the same color, I will roll them all into one GINORMOUS ball....don't ask me why:shrug because I really can't say, but that is just one of my crazy little crochet quirks:wink!

I work with my yarn from the outside of the skein. It always made more sense to me when I was first learning. (You know, "Oh look, there's the end of the yarn...") I'll sometimes pull from the center when I want to use a double strand but only have one roll of the color, or if I need just a small amount of a color that is already in use. The only time I ever roll into balls is if my yarn gets tangled or the skein starts falling apart. (And then I roll from the center...lol)

And speaking of rolling, I've run over my sister's homework, other projects, ect with my rolls of yarn before. It's rather amusing to watch, but only if you also watch where you step. ;)

Archived